Longest Amtrak train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
My envisions for LSL consist in the future:

P42DC

P42DC

P42DC (variable)

Bag-Dorm (BOS)

Sleeper (BOS)

Sleeper (BOS) (variable)

Dinette (BOS)

Coach (BOS)

Coach (BOS)

Coach (BOS) (variable)

Coach (NYP)

Coach (NYP)

Coach (NYP)

Coach (NYP) (variable)

Lounge (NYP)

Diner (NYP)

Sleeper (NYP)

Sleeper (NYP)

Sleeper (NYP)

Sleeper (NYP) (variable)

Bag-Dorm (NYP)

In a high-demand period, there could be 18 cars west of ALB! :) Anybody want to make a computer animation of such a consist?

So, how long was the longest LSL between inauguration in 1975 and retirement of last Heritage in 1996?

448/449 only needs a bag BOS-ALB, but if switching is to be avoided at ALB, run it BOS-CHI and only use one car as a working bag, as is currently done. The BOS section doesn't need a bag/dorm for an LSA and a coach attendant. Aside from the larger crew on the NYP section, you'd probably want to run the bag/dorm to NYP to run it to HIA for maintenance.
Yes, Donctor, you guys are right that Boston doesn't need a bag-dorm, since any crew stationed to the Boston Dinette could just use the normal bag-dorm until Albany.

Lake Shore Limited

Bag-dorm [NYP]

Sleeper [NYP]

Sleeper [NYP]

Sleeper [NYP]

Diner [NYP]

Cafe [NYP]

Coach [NYP]

Coach [NYP]

Coach [NYP]

Coach [NYP] -Seasonal

Coach [bOS]

Coach [bOS]

Cafe [bOS]

Sleeper [bOS]
You added a sleeper but took out a coach. If you had kept the coach, which Amtrak will probably do, then that would be fifteen cars. Suppose Amtrak did four seatings a meal for a 48-seat diner. That's 192 in total, so that could accomodate up to six sleepers. If there's a lot of coaches, Amtrak could still assign fiver sleepers to the LSL.

In the end, it is important to know how much demand there is for NYP/BOS-CHI. Does BOS warrant an additional sleeper? Is the current one sold out a lot?
You can't do 4 seatings in the diner, 3 is the max unless you want some really odd times. But normal would be 5:00 PM, 6:30 PM, & 8:00 PM. You really can't tighten things more than that. To get to 4 seatings you'd have to start serving dinner at 4:00 or 4:30 PM and even then you're looking at the last seating at around 9 PM. Way too late!
When I'm doing the math, I usually assume somewhere between 1.5 and 2 people per roomette and 2 per bedroom (I've run the math with both 2/2 and with 1.5/2, and this gives a little more flexibility).

Mea culpa on dropping an LSL coach.

As to the sleepers...that's actually my bad. I'd assumed it was one in 25 (that's about what I tend to come up with, numbers-wise, in other discussions) that was to be out for inspections, plus the protect cars.

On the FEC: What has just come to mind is the pain that ticketing the Silver Star will be: You'll probably have a very odd booking situation if you add cars...how do you handle the LD coaches? Ticket as a separate coach bucket set (or apply an accommodation charge) or lock to high bucket JAX-MIA? Run as D-only JAX-MIA and force folks to corridor seats? And if you've got some sort of BC on the train...that would be four classes of service (Sleeper, LD coach, corridor BC, corridor coach) on one train. Specific to the Florida service, I would be inclined to expect the Horizons to end up here per some earlier discussions about what they wear well in terms of climate and so forth.*

On the LD coaches: I'm at least mentally pulling a few cars off of Midwest or California service and replacing them with bilevels, or off of Hiawatha service when those Talgos come out. Implicit in this assumption is that a few corridor coaches are going to get redone and added to LD service at some point (even if the move is something as simple as moving 2-2 BC cars to the Adirondack in lieu of the "real" LD coaches).*

*On both of these points, depending on demand patterns and so forth it might be possible to assign a single "short distance" coach to one or more of the LD trains.

Where are all the coach cars for these seriously extended eastern LD trains being proposed here supposed to come from? Amtrak has only 120 LD coach and 25 cafe/lounge Amfleet II cars available. Amtrak needs to order Viewliner LD coach and cafe/lounge cars, but that is likely years away (unfortunately).
For me, this was in an ideal world. Something like this could be reasonable, since it does not go over the total options limit. The coaches would have to be Viewliner 2 coaches, but I doubt that. I've heard people talking on here talking about Florida corridors as good uses for the Horizon cars once Illinois gets its bi-levels, since the demand will soon be there and it never gets too cold. So for any of the tack-on cars, I was thinking that it would be reasonable to use Horizons, so that no new equipment would have to be ordered.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back