Empire Builder-Spring 2015

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Yup, we arrived in CHI, walked into the Metro lounge to find out what gate we needed to go to and they immediately announced boarding for the CL. So no real time to spare--whew!! We made up almost an hour from MSP to CHI-likely the result of it being a Sunday. We took a fairly big risk to book the two trains, but since most times in the past several weeks the connection worked I figured we would give it a try. The CL ride was fine-arriving in WAS the next day 24 minutes behind schedule.

:)

Glad you made it OK, Mike. I was watching the EB progress all day Sunday, and once you hit MKE, I knew that you were going to be OK.

Saturday: On our way back to WFH now on the EB. All was going smoothly until Williston. While we were running about 50 minutes late I was confidant at least some of that delay could be made up before we reached WFH. HOWEVER, the conductor just got on the PA system and said BNSF has shut down the track just east of Williston for "unspecified reasons" and we could be in for a lengthy delay. If anyone hears what the reason for the delay is let me know!

Never a dull moment.

:-(

After a 2 hour hold in Williston we resumed our journey (now about 3 hours behind). A "track misalignment" issue was the problem--whatever that is. Looking like a very late arrival in WFH tonight. Now stopped just outside of Wolf Point waiting for more eastbound freights to pass us by, likely adding to our delayed status. Since there is no "protect" consist in PDX and SEA for tomorrow's eastbound Builders it appears very likely that numbers 8/28 will begin their journey on a late note, since our car attendant said they need at least 4 hours to turn around the EBs in SEA and PDX and that will not likely be the case.

Interesting Footnote: since departing Williston we have maintained a top speed of 60 mph, far below the normal track speed of 79 mph. Since we are now 3 1/2 hours late, this lower speed is not going to allow us to make up any time.

Looks like your #7 made up some time with the padding at Spokane, but of course that's after you left at Whitefish. Hope you had a good ride nonetheless.

If we took away the 2 1/2 hour delay caused by the track alignment issue, the freight delays amounted to only 20 minutes or so. BNSF appears to be trying to do what they can to help with the turnaround of 7/27 in SEA and PDX. The service on my train was excellent as it usually is. And we always enjoy meeting folks from all over the country during dining hours. I just wish we could arrive in WFH close to the scheduled time. The last 4 times we have taken the EB our delays have ranged from 3 to 12 hours. I know this delay was unforeseen but frustrating nevertheless. Of my four segments, if one was going to have a big hiccup, the last segment at least only damaged the amount of sleep we got last night. I was very pleased to see how CSX had gotten their act together on the tracks used by the CL-both trains were very close to being on time.

Both east and west bound Empire Builders experienced 3-4 hour delays as they went thru eastern MT and ND today. My BNSF guy is looking into whether this was a one day issue, or perhaps if this will be the norm. He cautioned that a lot of construction is scheduled for those areas from now thru October, so multi-hour arrival delays may indeed become more common.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back