Empire Builder-Spring 2015

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
It's unfortunate that BNSF can't take advantage of the short-term advantages of floodless dry spring in ND and lower than expected Bakken shipments to accelerate HI-line upgrades.

I'd take another hour delay on the EB now, if the infrastructure improvements cold go faster.

If only BNSF could move fast enough to take adavantage of the lower Bakken shipments this season. There's plenty of laid-off oil-workers in ND who would be happy to work for BNSF short-term.

Like "C Hamilton" posted link

BNSF Railway Co., the railroad owned by Warren Buffett’s Berkshire Hathaway Inc., posted a 4.5 percent drop in petroleum products in the last four weeks after a gain of 12.4 percent last year.
Shipments down 4.5% in a month? after only plus 12.5% in a year? Ouch!

not that this will help the EB on-time much.

Expect - like MM posted - 2-4 hour delays, possible misconnects , yeah the same old story.

Jim Hudson, the 28-48 connection is valid from PDX, but not from California coming up on 14. It just doesn't make sense, but of course we are dealing with published routes for AGR. We just want to finish out our two zone roomette award on 48, which is in the same zone as Chicago, but multiple AGR agents won't let us do it. It's only $31 for two coach tickets to South bend, but I don't understand why we just can't continue on to SOB on our two zone award. Coming in on 4, 6 and 21,the connection is guaranteed. but not on 8/28, unless you leave from PDX or SEA.

Anyone know what happened to #7 in eastern MT this afternoon? It was chugging along, about 2 hours behind schedule (not bad considering it left CHI 2 hours late), but now has been stopped for the past several hours east of Malta, MT and Amtrak updated arrival time for Malta to be over 4 hours late now.

#8 going eastbound appears to still be making good time though.

Did the train stop or did the status updates stop coming in? There seems to be a problem with that tonight.

Well, 7/27 left Havre. Glad I ate dinner at the Izaak Walton Inn since the diner will be long closed by the time it arrives in Essex. ETA at this point after 11pm.

I see #7 in WA is about 4 1/2 hours late now (bummer), and #8 in MN is now running 3 hours late. The delays in line with what BNSF said these trains would experience going forward this Spring and Summer. Rats. I guess yesterdays on time arrival in CHI may have been an anomaly. I am off on my #8 adventure tomorrow. We shall see if I may my tenuous CL connection on the evening of the 8th.

the 28-48 connection is valid from PDX, but not from California coming up on 14. It just doesn't make sense, but of course we are dealing with published routes for AGR. We just want to finish out our two zone roomette award on 48, which is in the same zone as Chicago, but multiple AGR agents won't let us do it. It's only $31 for two coach tickets to South bend, but I don't understand why we just can't continue on to SOB on our two zone award. Coming in on 4, 6 and 21,the connection is guaranteed. but not on 8/28, unless you leave from PDX or SEA.
On the FlyerTalk AGR forum, "AGR Insider" addressed this issue some time ago. (Sorry, I have no citation.) As I recall, he said that in a situation such as this, where the routing made sense but did not appear, a reader could send a private message to him and he would work to get the routing added to Arrow.

Probably it is too late for this trip, but someone who is a member at FlyerTalk could send the suggestion that connections from south of Portland to points east of Chicago via the Empire Builder be added as published routes.

I see #7 in WA is about 4 1/2 hours late now (bummer), and #8 in MN is now running 3 hours late. The delays in line with what BNSF said these trains would experience going forward this Spring and Summer. Rats. I guess yesterdays on time arrival in CHI may have been an anomaly. I am off on my #8 adventure tomorrow. We shall see if I may my tenuous CL connection on the evening of the 8th.
Good luck, Mike! Looking forward to your "on-the-scene" reports.

Planning a round-the-country trip with D4 for spring 2016. I know no one has a crystal ball, but does BNSF still predict those types of delays for next year?

Oh lovely. The crew knew in Spokane. I would have gone coach to Seattle and take Cascades to Portland. Now I get a 3 1/2 hour bus ride.

Jim

Planning a round-the-country trip with D4 for spring 2016. I know no one has a crystal ball, but does BNSF still predict those types of delays for next year?
Well, next year, the double tracking is going to be done between West Williston and West Snowden, so hang onto your hat. That, plus traffic levels, which we can't predict right now. Further east, delays will become less possible between Detroit Lakes and St. Paul due to double-tracking and putting in a lot of CTC which is beginning this year, AFAIK.

Last edited by a moderator:
Did the 7 from MKE to MSP on Thursday and was on time and the return trip on Sunday and was only 15 minutes late! The 7 was full with big numbers on and off at each station to MSP, where they did a total passenger turnover of over 300. Sunday was very light and my car had maybe 8 people in it -- other cars had more but everyone had plenty of room.

Do they still have the baked garlic in currant sauce? That really caused me a "problem" the next morning. :eek:hboy: :p :excl: :excl:

Looks like #8/28 has departed quite late from SEA/PDX today-after the westbound #7/27 arrived over 4 hours late this afternoon. Does this mean that the extra train set has been pulled from this route?

Well, next year, the double tracking is going to be done between West Williston and West Snowden, so hang onto your hat. That, plus traffic levels, which we can't predict right now. Further east, delays will become less possible between Detroit Lakes and St. Paul due to double-tracking and putting in a lot of CTC which is beginning this year, AFAIK.
Hadn't heard about double-track or siding projects between DLK and MSP. Good news, I guess.

I've almost always been asleep on that part of the EB route (maybe one very late Eastbound exception)

Last edited by a moderator:
Off topic, but the new track will allow for an easier extension of Northstar commuter rail service to St. CLoud, a goal that was part of the original plan, IINM.

There's a 10-mile stretch of single that's getting done this year.

Given the regular 2+ hour delays thru eastern ND almost every day now, BNSF desperately needs to get this done asap. Their construction schedule is full of both small and several significant projects from now thru early November.

Looks like #8/28 has departed quite late from SEA/PDX today-after the westbound #7/27 arrived over 4 hours late this afternoon. Does this mean that the extra train set has been pulled from this route?
Yes, I've read else where the extra set has been removed. When, not sure when it took place.

Palmetto: I did not see garlic on the menu. I tried the beef stroganoff and the pan fried chicken breast.. For breakfast, the huckleberry pancakes were wonderful.

Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back