Coach Passengers visiting Sleeper Passengers?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Maybe I am wrong, but this is my point of view. Unless I am able to lock the roomettes from the outside to secure my possessions, the less traffic going by my room the better. When I took my first ride, I was advised not to leave anything of value in the room while enjoying dinner. I take all my valuables in my backpack which I take with me to the dining car. That wont stop someone from trying to see if I did leave anything in my luggage I leave in the room.

Bruce

I am confused, again. Post #2 in this thread says "They shouldn't be" allowed, it would depend on the car attendant. yet posts 41 & 42 seem to say the opposite., That there is nothing in the attendant's rules that prohibit this. These posts are from the same poster. That is confusing.
I'm not sure what is confusing. I thought it was against the rules. Subsequent research showed that it wasn't actually a rule. Worldview modified. Not rocket surgery.
Ok. Now I understand. Thanks for clarifying!

It wasn't really directed at you, Tony. There are a ton of people, like 75% of the world population, who would fit the description.

Sign on sleeper door says "first class passangers only". If you are not 1sta class you cant enter!

As long as they aren't taking food, nothing is being stolen. The accommodations are already paid for.

The "Employees Only" sign isn't too effective in keeping passengers out of the Superliner kitchen either. They're usually looking for the lounge car & are oblivious to the sign. Instead of acting like the Diner Cops, we would usually stop them in a friendly way and thank them for volunteering to wash the dishes. That usually got the message across.

Sleeper service or First Class are usually thought of as interchangeable terms on long distance trains.

Tom

I'm not really surprised that some people would come into the Diner looking for the Cafe, but going Downstairs into the Kitchen and not being able to read a Simple Sign is the definition of Dumb and Dumber!!

Cool asking if they are there to wash the dishes!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
Sleeper service or First Class are usually thought of as interchangeable terms on long distance trains.

Tom
Officially, there is a distinction between first class and sleeper class. For instance, my sleeper AGR reward is not compatible with the only first class service - the Acela.

In my short life, First Class has been synonymous with not only excellence in quality of service but excess in pampering and amenities.

Other than a horizontal surface to sleep on and some excellent SCAs, the food is the same as coach, and coffee/juice during limited hours and 2 8-oz bottles of water (as a matter of policy, now) hardly is First Class.

Sleeper pax pay generally WAY more than Acela First class by segment, though admittedly Acela customers probably pay way more per person as commuters over time.

Perhaps if they start reducing Acela First Class amenities to subsidize the Sleepers, then perhaps we can start comparing apples to apples.

On at least one of our diners, the label on a food service elevator calls it a Food Service Evelator. Also, the name is spelled correctly on both end doors of the sleeper "A. Philip Randolph"; but it's spelled "Phillip" on both sides. No charge for the extra L.

Nice to know Amtrak does not discriminate against dyslexic sign makers, isn't it?

About 10 years ago on the EB a family had two members booked in sleeper and three kids in coach. The adults were in the sleeper at night and the kids used the sleeper during the day. They didn't sleep. They were running around the sleeper and creating a nusense. I ran them out but didn't listen. The Father came back to tell me the kids were authorized to be there. I called the OBS who had a confrontation with the Father. The OBS told the family if they didn't comply, they would be put off at the next stop. Don't know what happened but the entire family moved to the coach. If your name is not on the reservation you can't be in the sleeper.

Ryan, I think you posted the citation yourself when you posted the pictures of the Sleeping car passengers only signs.

Ryan ---

Since I've retired, I've cleverly misplaced my most recent Service Standards Manual (which was just updated this past spring). So I can't give you a current rule citation. However, I found one from 2002, and I'm sure the rule today is the same or very similar. Chapter 13 is entitled "On-Board Services Crew Functions". Under "Train Attendant - Sleeping Car; Responsibilities Upon Departure and Enroute", item number 8 says "Do not permit unauthorized passengers in the sleeping car. If strangers enter the car, especially late at night, ask them if they need any assistance. If their reasons are not valid, politely direct them to the appropriate car." This can be found on page 13-25 of the 2002 Service Standards Manual.

We have always considered a valid sleeping car ticket to be a valid reason for being there, and any other ticket an invalid reason for being there. We have always tried to approach such "strangers" (as the rule calls them) in a friendly manner so as to minimize the possibility of any unpleasantness. But the rule's first three words tell the story: "DO NOT PERMIT......"

Maybe I've told this story before: Several years ago I was working one of the Auto Train's sleepers when a young man came from the coaches into the sleeper. When I stopped him, he told me he was just looking around. He wanted to continue through the train and check out the other sleepers as well. I told him my car was fully reserved, so there were no rooms I could show him. ""But I just want to look around," he insisted. I told him privacy was one of the things the sleeper passengers were paying extra for. I told him he could have one of the ticket agents show him around when we arrived at our destination the next morning. There would be time for that while he waited for his automobile to be off-loaded, and they could also give him all the info he might need for future travel, including sleeper ticket rates, etc. "But I just want to look around", he continued. That's when I knew we weren't getting anywhere so I said "As I said, Sir, these passengers are paying extra for privacy, and I'm here to make sure you DON'T look around".

Remember the story about the mule that was well-trained & a willing worker? Yes, he would work, but you had to break a 2 x 4 over his head to get his attention first.

Tom

Ryan ---

Since I've retired, I've cleverly misplaced my most recent Service Standards Manual (which was just updated this past spring). So I can't give you a current rule citation. However, I found one from 2002, and I'm sure the rule today is the same or very similar. Chapter 13 is entitled "On-Board Services Crew Functions". Under "Train Attendant - Sleeping Car; Responsibilities Upon Departure and Enroute", item number 8 says "Do not permit unauthorized passengers in the sleeping car. If strangers enter the car, especially late at night, ask them if they need any assistance. If their reasons are not valid, politely direct them to the appropriate car." This can be found on page 13-25 of the 2002 Service Standards Manual.

We have always considered a valid sleeping car ticket to be a valid reason for being there, and any other ticket an invalid reason for being there. We have always tried to approach such "strangers" (as the rule calls them) in a friendly manner so as to minimize the possibility of any unpleasantness. But the rule's first three words tell the story: "DO NOT PERMIT......"

Maybe I've told this story before: Several years ago I was working one of the Auto Train's sleepers when a young man came from the coaches into the sleeper. When I stopped him, he told me he was just looking around. He wanted to continue through the train and check out the other sleepers as well. I told him my car was fully reserved, so there were no rooms I could show him. ""But I just want to look around," he insisted. I told him privacy was one of the things the sleeper passengers were paying extra for. I told him he could have one of the ticket agents show him around when we arrived at our destination the next morning. There would be time for that while he waited for his automobile to be off-loaded, and they could also give him all the info he might need for future travel, including sleeper ticket rates, etc. "But I just want to look around", he continued. That's when I knew we weren't getting anywhere so I said "As I said, Sir, these passengers are paying extra for privacy, and I'm here to make sure you DON'T look around".

Remember the story about the mule that was well-trained & a willing worker? Yes, he would work, but you had to break a 2 x 4 over his head to get his attention first.

Tom
Tom, thanks for sharing this information. This sounds totally what it should be. Using your example, I hope my SCA is like you.

Bruce-SSR

Andersone:

I hope you understand no offense was intended. Sometimes we have to look at the light side of the things that make us all unique, like my color blindness, my two artificial hips, my gray hair, or my age. During my last year on the train, I was called "Gramps" more times than I care to think about, but it was all in good fun and the speakers were, and are, my friends. Not long ago I had lunch with a friend who took great delight in convincing the waiter that I was his dad.

If the dyslexia crack was offensive, I sincerely apologize.

Tom

There's a difference between a stranger, associated with no one booked into sleeper accommodations, and a visitor be it friend or family of someone who is ticketed in the sleeper.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back