California Zephyr Winter 2017 Delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Just called Amtrak. Seems there was a miscommunication - we could have been on that train. Don't know why agent didn't tell us there was an estimated departure of 2:30. Never look back!
No excuse for screwing up like that. Good thing it worked out for you to wait a day.

Have a good trip man. Please give us a report!

Both 5 and 6 went into service disruption last night, and the Winter Park Express for today (3/11) is cancelled. Something about a track closure? Any information?

Both 5 and 6 went into service disruption last night, and the Winter Park Express for today (3/11) is cancelled. Something about a track closure? Any information?
Per Trainorders, a UP derailment about 36 miles west of Denver with between five and ten cars overturned.

Per Trainorders, a UP derailment about 36 miles west of Denver with between five and ten cars overturned.
Thanks for that information. To say I'm suddenly very nervous is an understatement, since I head East tomorrow on #6 with a connection in Chicago. Getting through to anyone at Amtrak is insanity, as wait times are in excess of an hour by phone.

I don't have a Facebook account, but I guess there are photos of the UP derailment posted? Sounding like a mess, with the grounded train in a narrow canyon and potentially also inside tunnel 27... Inaccessible location. Another rumor puts the #5 being held in Denver on a detour through Wyoming, and the #6(3/10) will annul possibly at Grand Junction.

Both trains are inching their way across Colorado though, so apparently the tracks are passable, or at least expected to be so.

Both trains are inching their way across Colorado though, so apparently the tracks are passable, or at least expected to be so.
Aye, it would appear so. #5 is now past the derailment location and chugging west at 30 mph, but nearly 7 hours down. Interestingly, #5 (3/9) is also running exceptionally late, at 7.5 hours late into Reno right now. No service disruption, but it lost nearly 7 hours of running time in Colorado, and made it through the Rockies before the UP derailment. Since that will turn to be my #6 (3/12) tomorrow, I fully anticipate both a dirty train and a surly/zero-cares-given OBS crew for the next two and a half days. :help:

Your #6 will get thru, either at a somewhat slower pace past the derailment site in Colorado, or at a FASTER pace by detouring between Salt Lake City and Denver via Wyoming. And your crews will not likely be surly.

#6 (3/12) is not starting off well. An hour late, and has not left Emeryville for some reason.

#6 is currently running 4 hours late through northern NV. A friend of mine is on the train and said there was a medical emergency (sadly the passenger died).

Don't know about the flooding, but Amtrak 6(17) was five hours late departing Emeryville today. Unusual in that yesterday's CZ 5 arrived on time at 4:01 PM. Anyone know what happened?

Update on flooding in Northern Nevada: The Humboldt River at Winnemucca-Comus is expected to get to major flooding by Wed, and Battle Mountain is also apporaching major flooding, although at a slower rate. Fingers crossed as to how the Zephyr might be affected by this snowmelt flooding, this could get interesting.

Things were running smoothly enough for the Westbound #5 to roll into Truckee this morning at 9:32am.

Interesting that the Humboldt River is flooding first at the downstream location (Winnemucca) before upstream at Battle Mtn. Must be lots of snow melting in between these two hamlets.

Back