California Zephyr Winter 2017 Delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Actually I did just see some info on this. There was a traction motor failure and a UP freight locomotive was added as the lead unit.

#6 out of Emeryville is cancelled today. We received a call from Amtrak at 6 a.m. this morning. We were able to book tomorrow so keeping fingers crossed!

I wonder if they are turning the train at Sacramento. It looks like 5 never made it to Davis.
Since Davis is a "detraining-only" stop for #5, if there are no passengers in the manifest scheduled to detrain there, #5 will not stop, and it might not get a time posted on the Amtrak website.

Last edited by a moderator:
#6 out of Emeryville is cancelled today. We received a call from Amtrak at 6 a.m. this morning. We were able to book tomorrow so keeping fingers crossed!

Amtrak website says that #6 is scheduled to leave Emeryville today at 2:30 PM, instead of being cancelled outright. That makes more sense, since the train could make up several of those hours enroute to Chicago, plus it avoids the problem of having TWO sets of CZ equipment sitting in the West Oakland yard tonight. The very late departure today is because yesterday's #5 arrived Emeryville nearly 14 hours late at 6 AM this morning. Turning the train in 8.5 hours for the eastbound journey provides time for cleaning and turning the train, and providing the minimum amount of federally-mandated rest time for the onboard service staff.

Amtrak told us there would be no service to our final destination today. I saw that it said 2:30 departure but since we already extended our hotel stay we decided to leave well enough alone. Amtrak rescheduled us for tomorrow. Fingers crossed!

Are there any flood updates from Nevada yet?
The Union Pacific line between Wells NV and Ogden UT was restored to service February 21. This was the line most severely damaged by the Nevada dam failure. The only remaining Union Pacific route out of service is the Feather River line between Oroville and Portola CA.

Amtrak told us there would be no service to our final destination today. I saw that it said 2:30 departure but since we already extended our hotel stay we decided to leave well enough alone. Amtrak rescheduled us for tomorrow. Fingers crossed!
That's kinda weird. What was your final destination?

Last edited by a moderator:

Amtrak website says that #6 is scheduled to leave Emeryville today at 2:30 PM, instead of being cancelled outright. That makes more sense, since the train could make up several of those hours enroute to Chicago, plus it avoids the problem of having TWO sets of CZ equipment sitting in the West Oakland yard tonight. The very late departure today is because yesterday's #5 arrived Emeryville nearly 14 hours late at 6 AM this morning. Turning the train in 8.5 hours for the eastbound journey provides time for cleaning and turning the train, and providing the minimum amount of federally-mandated rest time for the onboard service staff.
This makes sense.

(Amtrak cancelling User38's reservation for today does not)

Great system Amtrak. amtrak.com still shows an estimated departure time of 2:30pm. Well it is now 3pm.

So I called the 800#. They know nothing. They just look at the same screen I am - and apparently have no access to any real info.

It finally departed. Train left the yard at 2:55. It is due at Roseville at 5:24pm (over 6 hours late).

No idea why they cancelled your ticket for today - unless they overbooked the train.

Oh ok you are using the app.

Yup my brother is bummed about the ride in the dark - but is happy the train is running.

Just called Amtrak. Seems there was a miscommunication - we could have been on that train. Don't know why agent didn't tell us there was an estimated departure of 2:30. Never look back!

Back