California Zephyr Winter 2017 Delays

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Does anyone know if the CZ is still being turned at SLC?
As of right now, yes. Supposedly the CZ that left Chicago today will travel through to California, but it would probably still be a good idea to cross your fingers.
Definitely cross your fingers, cause The Weatherman has declared a flood warning in northern Nevada...again. Not to mention the deluge of North-Central California. This cutting might happen for a few more days, if UPRR asks to cut that part out for a few days. Even if UPRR gives all clear, turn around in Reno can also happen if Donner Pass is hit.

As for the CZ being turned around, is it still sans bustitution west of SLC?

Just looked at the status page for last night. Arrived SLC over 9 hours late and left over 10 hrs down. Next stop Elko, over 10 hrs late. Sounds like a mechanical problem, if it lost that much time at SLC, which is normally about 30 minutes at the station.

According to Amtrak Status Maps, CZ 5 was already 2 hours late and lost additional 7 hours between Helper and Provo Utah. As someone suggested it may have been delayed around Summit Point. While it could be mechanical, it is also possible that the delay was caused by some freight interference.

It says now that departed at 10:38. I would say the station staff made several hours OT. I 'd like to ride across western Utah and Nevada by daylight. One of my favorite parts of that route is the early morning light over the desert west of Winnemucca.

You are correct. CZ 5 equipment and OBS crew overnight in Oakland, equipment is turned, and becomes the following day's CZ 6 with same OBS Crew(they are Chicago based).

So, if the CZ 5 is extremely late arriving Emeryville, the CZ 6 the following day is subject to delayed start to allow adequate time for crew rest and restocking the train for the three day trip back to Chicago.

This train is now almost 12 hours late.
No doubt it will have a late departure.

...While it could be mechanical, it is also possible that the delay was caused by some freight interference.
Freight interference is the most likely culprit. Since the Feather River route is still closed (if I am right), UP has to divert its freight traffic, resulting in heavier traffic.

Also, note to moderators: Since this discussion has turned into a general delays and disruption regarding the CZ in general, and is no longer about the specific disruption about the CZ being annulled in SLC, it might be a good idea to change the title. What do you think about changing the title?

...While it could be mechanical, it is also possible that the delay was caused by some freight interference.
Freight interference is the most likely culprit. Since the Feather River route is still closed (if I am right), UP has to divert its freight traffic, resulting in heavier traffic.
But the Amtrak train gets to "cut in" to any freight line," right??

What if there's too much freight traffic? That might be the case.

Not quite, the Amtrak train still has to obey the line side signal system, in this case controlled out of Omaha, NE, and the freight dispatcher decides who goes when and where.

I wonder if they are turning the train at Sacramento. It looks like 5 never made it to Davis.

Also, note to moderators: Since this discussion has turned into a general delays and disruption regarding the CZ in general, and is no longer about the specific disruption about the CZ being annulled in SLC, it might be a good idea to change the title. What do you think about changing the title?
I like it. Done.

My brother is boarding #6 at Roseville today. He is going to ask the OBS what happened yesterday.

Back