Baggage car removed from Sunset Limited / Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yes, but then you'd have to handle baggage west of San Antonio from both cars. Better not get them mixed up! Also...if you run a coach-baggage on #421 instead of a standard Superliner coach, where do any ADA through coach passengers sit?

With the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle combo, one sleeper and one coach are transferred between the two trains in San Antonio. The rest of the train just runs CHI-SAS. Checked baggage is also transferred between the two trains, but the baggage car itself is not
On today's #21/#321 out of Chicago with a Viewliner II Bag Car and a Coach Bag.

Passed a Late #22 coming into Chicago and it also had the same Consist.
Seems like the logical thing would be to have a coach-bag on #1/2 and a coach-bag on #421/422 so as not to have to transfer the baggage between cars (to be clear, two coach-bags west of SAS). Run a V2 bag and standard coach on #21/22 on the days it runs without #421/422.
I think it's simpler to just transfer the baggage itself between trains. By making the through coach a coach-baggage car, you would be getting rid of all lower level seating on 421/422 (including accessible seating), meaning reduced passenger capacity and a need for disabled coach pax to switch cars in San Antonio.

If what Amtrak is doing is intelligently managing its assets and operations, then this is a good thing. As with the diners, if running a particular car or using it in a particular way doesn't add to the bottom line, then it shouldn't be done. It's bad management to make operational decisions on the basis of decade old capital spending decisions that might have been a good idea at the time, but don't match up with current market and operating environment conditions.

The bad thing in all this is (as you might guess I'd say
default_smile.png
) is that Amtrak's long distance staff won't put out the effort to accomodate bicycles in anything other than a V2 baggage car and at any place other than a full service station (with a couple of exceptions that disprove the rule).

What various options add to the bottom line ? We can argue that endless . But one item stands out. Would cruises have been possible if they did not have good food service ? The same applies IMHO to longer time trains 8+ hours ?

Your made a coherent argument until you said food looks like an upgrade , maybe to a 10 year old might say that but they probably still would prefer the heated Mac and cheese. The VAST majority would say its a massive downgrade.

That's not true. A lot of people on this board have said they don't like it, or at least don't like the looks of it. Comments from people who have actually tried it range across the spectrum, but most fall into the "it's no better or worse" or "it's better" categories. A choice of fresh salads is my idea of top of the line dining and three hundred calories worth of yogurt and fruit qualifies as a good breakfast for me. YMMV.

Your made a coherent argument until you said food looks like an upgrade , maybe to a 10 year old might say that but they probably still would prefer the heated Mac and cheese. The VAST majority would say its a massive downgrade.

That's not true. A lot of people on this board have said they don't like it, or at least don't like the looks of it. Comments from people who have actually tried it range across the spectrum, but most fall into the "it's no better or worse" or "it's better" categories. A choice of fresh salads is my idea of top of the line dining and three hundred calories worth of yogurt and fruit qualifies as a good breakfast for me. YMMV.

From what I've seen, the main complaints from the people on this board seem to be the amount of sugar in the breakfast box and the limited selection and variety in each meal. Most people also seem to agree that quality is decent, and the food is pretty fresh. So it's been a bit of a mixed bag. For me though (and yes I know I've said this a million times), the huge issue is the lack of vegetarian options. With "contemporary dining", for lunch and dinner I'd be stuck with the cold vegan wrap and "vegan dessert bar". There's no choice of entree and no choice of dessert. That's a big issue for me.

Last edited by a moderator:
Confirmed. No 61000 series dedicated baggage car going forward until/if changed. Baggage handled in the 31000 series coach-bag car. Bicycles only handled in bike boxes. No Express shipments. This applies to trains 1/2 only. Trains 21/22 are not affected and continue to have a 61000 series(Viewliner II).
Just to clarify my inquiry at El Paso Union Station... ticket staff said there will be no Amtrak Express shipments because there is no baggage car anymore but there is still checked baggage service using the Superliner coach-baggage car which they loaded / unloaded that day.

So, this is consistent with your findings KnightRail...

Juan

The bad thing in all this is (as you might guess I'd say) is that Amtrak's long distance staff won't put out the effort to accomodate bicycles in anything other than a V2 baggage car and at any place other than a full service station (with a couple of exceptions that disprove the rule).
Since you were so understanding and supportive toward folks who were disappointed with the changes in dining I guess we owe you some understanding and support in the loss of your bicycle shipping.

What various options add to the bottom line ? We can argue that endless . But one item stands out. Would cruises have been possible if they did not have good food service ? The same applies IMHO to longer time trains 8+ hours ?
Cruises and Amtrak are very different. While some people do take Amtrak as a sort of land cruise, many take it out of necessity. If you are afraid of flying, can't fly because of medical reasons, etc, you're likely not taking for the experience.

Cruises and Amtrak are very different. While some people do take Amtrak as a sort of land cruise, many take it out of necessity. If you are afraid of flying, can't fly because of medical reasons, etc, you're likely not taking for the experience.
True enough. Are we then supposed to whittle away on the experience so much that only those compelled by absolute necessity will choose to take the train?

True enough. Are we then supposed to whittle away on the experience so much that only those compelled by absolute necessity will choose to take the train?
I'm not saying that either. I'm merely pointing out that Amtrak's sole purpose is not to be an incredible, luxurious experience to the degree of a cruise.

I'm not saying that either. I'm merely pointing out that Amtrak's sole purpose is not to be an incredible, luxurious experience to the degree of a cruise.
And I'm not saying that you're saying that...but such seems to be the thought process of those at Amtrak's throttle stand, both at 60 Mass and in Congress.

Maybe reading the recently posted OIG Report will give all some hint about what goals Amtrak is driving towards instead of speculating about it.

https://amtrakoig.gov/sites/default/files/reports/OIG-SP-2018-011%20Management%20Challenges%20FY2019%20and%202020.pdf

Look for the six pillars....

I am not saying that I agree or disagree with them. It is what they are at this time.

Also in some cases I cannot exactly see how what Amtrak management is doing actually lines up with those goals either.

But this discussion about what Amtrak is or isn't is probably carried out better in the OIG Report thread than here.

http://discuss.amtraktrains.com/index.php?/topic/73800-new-inspector-general-report/

You don't owe me anything. As I've said, the food and the food service changes on the two eastern trains looks like an improvement to me. If you don't like it, don't ride. Same with bicycle service – if I don't like it, I won't ride.

Accomodating roll up/roll on bicycles and eliminating the "traditional" – I'd call it miserable – diner experience (and food) are two improvements that will help Amtrak appeal to a wider and younger customer base. I just posted the inspector general's comments about customer satisfaction and employee bolshiness in the current OBS thread – if Amtrak keeps operating long distance trains on the basis of employee convenience and comfort, customer satisfaction and ridership will continue to decline.

Save your sympathy for Amtrak's current customer base – "heavily skewed toward older riders", as the IG's report puts it. One way or another, the long distance trains as amusement park ride model is going away. Either because Amtrak focuses on being a transportation company, or because its diminishing customer base can't support it.

The bad thing in all this is (as you might guess I'd say) is that Amtrak's long distance staff won't put out the effort to accomodate bicycles in anything other than a V2 baggage car and at any place other than a full service station (with a couple of exceptions that disprove the rule).
Since you were so understanding and supportive toward folks who were disappointed with the changes in dining I guess we owe you some understanding and support in the loss of your bicycle shipping.

Anyone who thinks that cruises are "Incredible, Luxurious experiences" these days... hasn't been on a cruise in a while.
default_wink.png
I don't doubt it, since I've never been on a cruise in my life.
default_wink.png

Back