Autotrain now "Mass Transit"

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Just want to add that I think selling better wine for a price is a great idea. I bring my own alcohol on board Amtrak because the options are that terrible. (Sutter Home is indeed rotgut--burns all the way down.)

However, the reports about slowdowns due to selling alcohol to sleeper passengers does make me pause.

If the POS works as it should, perhaps that would make the numbers work out to be able engage in profitable wine sales.

Sorbet -- no dairy -- has been the only dessert my fiancee (who can't eat dairy) can eat. When it's missing, well, no dessert.

Yes, keep a variety of desserts. Amtrak had a *specific policy* of keeping four types of desserts in stock, designed to satisfy every palate. (I forget what all four types were, but one was "nut or fruit", one was "chocolate".) It was a good policy. It was apparently abandoned because there's someone dumb in charge.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here is an idea for Amtrak. At the time of sleeper ticket purchase, allow the passenger to select his/her meal selection. When that train departs they will have a basic list of which foods to stock. They will still need to keep a small variety for the coach passengers but this may help eliminate waste.

Here is an idea for Amtrak. At the time of sleeper ticket purchase, allow the passenger to select his/her meal selection. When that train departs they will have a basic list of which foods to stock. They will still need to keep a small variety for the coach passengers but this may help eliminate waste.
American Airlines and US Airways do a variation of that now. AA First Class passengers can pre-order their meal. That way a passenger is assured of getting the meal they want and AA can cater the flight appropriately. Similarly, US Coach passenger can pre-order a buy-on-board option, eliminating the possibility that meals will be sold out for those sitting toward the back of the plane.

As for Amtrak, why not just eliminate the menu pricing of individual items for coach passengers. Have one paid meal option for breakfast and lunch, and two paid meal options for dinner. Pay one price at breakfast and lunch and order whatever you want. For dinner, have a "standard" meal (chicken, pasta, etc.) for one price, and a "premium" meal (steak) for another price. The purchase would be all inclusive (beverages, dessert) just as sleeper passenger meals are all inclusive. Coach passengers would pay upon ordering, and from that point forward would be treated the same as sleeper passengers. Alcohol would be the same. Pay with the order. Those moves would save the need for the server to stop back after the meal for payment and would greatly simplify the bills.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back