Amtrak Status Maps / Amsnag - Down

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Seems like it should be possible to script a request from the user's PC and thus avoid having to play tricks or jump through hoops with the server's address.

Seems like it should be possible to script a request from the user's PC and thus avoid having to play tricks or jump through hoops with the server's address.
That's tricky, but possible. You'd pretty much have to rewrite it in a Java-derivative so that it would download as an "app" and run in your browser. Right now the code is written in php, which is designed to run on a server and then present the user with the result.

jb

AmSnag

We're going two steps forward and one step back. Each scenario we come up with has its "insurmountable" pitfalls. We still have more to try out and it will take the rest of the week.

jb

AmSnag

We're going two steps forward and one step back. Each scenario we come up with has its "insurmountable" pitfalls. We still have more to try out and it will take the rest of the week.

jb

John - Probably you have the arr/dep times part of the program disabled for the moment but just in case....... Message is that the server at 98.69.168.187 is not responding. Tried both IE and Firefox. -- Phil

AmSnag

jb

John - Probably you have the arr/dep times part of the program disabled for the moment but just in case....... Message is that the server at 98.69.168.187 is not responding. Tried both IE and Firefox. -- Phil
It's not disabled. The address of the server changes every so often. For example, as we speak it's 98.69.165.89. You'll need to do a refresh of the map or the archive page - however you got to the train's file - and then click on the train again. Depending upon browser, you might even have to clear the cache.

jb

The address of the server changes every so often. For example, as we speak it's 98.69.165.89. You'll need to do a refresh of the map or the archive page - however you got to the train's file - and then click on the train again. Depending upon browser, you might even have to clear the cache.
Was this address cycling a necessary aspect of the resolution?

The address of the server changes every so often. For example, as we speak it's 98.69.165.89. You'll need to do a refresh of the map or the archive page - however you got to the train's file - and then click on the train again. Depending upon browser, you might even have to clear the cache.
Was this address cycling a necessary aspect of the resolution?
Bingo.

If it gets to be too much of a pain for the troops, I'll put the files for the trains to dixielandsoftware.com - but that's going to take a little while. Right now we're trying to get AmSnag going again.

jb

Last edited by a moderator:
Just wanted to say thanks for all the work and effort to return this incredibly useful tool to proper working order.

You really and truly don't know what you've got until it's gone.

Not sure if that means it's ready for prime time but I gave it a whirl...

Got back some dates and costs and this thing...

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\scripts\amSnagJB.php on line 37

Lookin' good, thanks!
hi.gif

Just wanted to say thanks for all the work and effort to return this incredibly useful tool to proper working order.

Fatal error: Maximum execution time of 30 seconds exceeded in C:\scripts\amSnagJB.php on line 37
What was the data that you requested? How many days?

jb

The solution turned out to be a Rube Goldberg contraption (a very clever on on John's part), which means response time is somewhat slower. I just tried a complicated one - CHI to LAX - and it timed out after 19 days.

I believe this can be fixed. Love all the free QA. :giggle:

What was the data that you requested? How many days?
SAS to MRC starting Sat 05/19/12 for 30 days.

Fantastic!!! Yup, a little slower, but I'm not going to complain at all. Very much worth the wait.

Thanks a ton, you guys! I'm certain it was (and likely still is to a degree) a huge headache to get AmSnag back on line along with the Maps. It is greatly appreciated! :lol:

Wah, can't access the "new" Amsnag on my work computer. Where else would I be motivated to plan trips. :giggle:

I know it's still a "work in progress" and appreciate all the hard work (being a programmer myself).

If hackers can get into the Pentagons system surely some can figure out a way to access information in the public domain.
I'm only a hacker in the old fashioned sense of the word, like you might call a golfer a hacker. But not in the modern sinister sense.

PS I've upped the max connection time to 60 seconds from the 30 second default. If this is not enough, you may have to form 2 queries, perhaps from different windows.

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back