Zone question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

berkyo

Service Attendant
Is Trenton NJ in the Northeast zone?

We usually ride from Rochester to Lamy but we will be in NJ just before the next trip. If we get on at Trenton is that still a 2 zone trip. TRE to CHI / Chi to LAMY?

If it is 3 zones, and we want to pay cash for a ticket form TRE to the NER zone end, does it cost more? Where does the NER zone end? The Amtrak site shows the Cardinal for TRE to LAMY. So that it is not Acela? Isn't Acela the NER train?

I have the zone map but it is not clear.

While we are out there, we are also thinking of making use of Vacation Certificates from our kids (they now know to buy points for us instead) and thought of using them towards the ALB to Grand Canyon 4 day Getaway. Has anyone done this before?

I THINK the NER zone is included in the East zone, so any LD trains you take within the NER will count as being in the East zone. So, it should be just 2 zones, not 3.

Not sure what you're asking here: "The Amtrak site shows the Cardinal for TRE to LAMY. So that it is not Acela? Isn't Acela the NER train?" The Cardinal (51) is an LD train. The other two options, I think, would be to go from TRE to NYP and catch the LSL or TRE to WAS to catch the CL.

If Rochester to Lamy is 2 zones, so is Trenton to Lamy.

From Trenton to Chicago, one could go via NYP, WAS, or direct via the Cardinal. Even though Amtrak might charge different rates for different routes, it's all the same price in points.

I am in an area of the NEC where I have to travel either to BOS or SPG to get south without going out to CHI.I really don't want to have to go into BOS for this trip, just personal preference. If I have enough points for a one zone trip, can I travel WOR to ALB, stay over in ALB, then take Ethan Allen down to NYP and then the Silver Meteor to ORL? Would this be allowed on a one zone redemption? Any other options without having to go into BOS?

I can't say for certain, but I would guess that AGR would not allow that routing. Stopovers are not allowed on an award ticket, and that routing would require 2 overnight stays. There are other routings available with 1 or no overnight stays.

I can't say for certain, but I would guess that AGR would not allow that routing. Stopovers are not allowed on an award ticket, and that routing would require 2 overnight stays. There are other routings available with 1 or no overnight stays.
Are you answering my question or the original question. Mine would only be one night in Albany.

I am in an area of the NEC where I have to travel either to BOS or SPG to get south without going out to CHI.I really don't want to have to go into BOS for this trip, just personal preference. If I have enough points for a one zone trip, can I travel WOR to ALB, stay over in ALB, then take Ethan Allen down to NYP and then the Silver Meteor to ORL? Would this be allowed on a one zone redemption? Any other options without having to go into BOS?
Can't you travel SPG to NHV and then down to NYP?

The only reason I am not doing SPG as the change, is that the LSL gets into Springfield 2:10 (scheduled time) and the Vermonter leaves at 2:50 (scheduled time), the LSL is usually running late thru SPG and you don't get to NYP until 6:26p and I would have to stay in NY until the next morning to take the Silver service to ORL. If I go out to ALB and stay over there, I can take the Ethan Allen down to NYP and then catch the Silver service the same day. I would leave ALB in the morning and Silver Meteor leaves NYP in the afternoon.

Back