Zephyr Questions...

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

abcnews

OBS Chief
Looking for some advice and feedback on our Zephyr itinerary. Keep in mind - we plan to travel this December (when it gets dark very early) - using some AGR points, and some unused vouchers. Looking at the 2nd week of December, here is our question...

Our original plan was to board in Ashland, VA (near our home) and take NE Regional to Washington, then the Capital Limited to Chicago, and the Zephyr to Emeryville. Then fly home from SFO. I was going to purchase a low bucket fare on the Cap Limited to reach Toledo in a Roomette (just $249 total for two) and use AGR from Toledo to Emeryville (2 zone/20,000 points) for a roomette. And we would have a nice transcontinental train trip.

However, after some thought - knowing it will be December, and the sun sets at around 4:45 PM in DC, I thought that we would much prefer the Cardinal with a morning departure from DC (actually - Alexandria, VA). But the Cardinal will cost quite a bit more to get to Cincinnati - which is where we could use our two zone award to Emeryville. So I pondered all this and came up with a new plan. We would use a two zone award from Ashland - and take the Cardinal to Chicago and the Zephyr to Denver. Then simply purchase two coach fares from DEN to Grand Junction. We would just spend that day in the Sightseer Lounge anyway, and hop off at Grand Junction at dusk. After a night in a hotel in Grand Junction, we would just head back to Virginia, coach to DEN and then a two zone (20,000) award to get home.

By making this change, we will miss that last day on the Zephyr (mostly from around Reno to Emeryville), since the section before Reno is mostly at night. Any thoughts on cutting out Donner Pass and the Sierra Nevada Mountains area. I was looking forward to that part of the trip. But not wild about flying back and all that. And I don't have the time right now, to go both ways (coast to coast) on the train. And I do like the idea of returning on the train from Grand Junction - with more daylight time on the train (especially in Iowa) and taking the Cap Limited Eastbound into DC - which is all daylight after Connellsville, PA when traveling East.

Sorry for all the info, just may help you to better understand our thoughts. I guess we are leaning to the round trip to Grand Junction and back, verses a one way trip across the US - going westbound on the Cap Limited (in December) and then on the Zephyr. Just hate to miss that last day on the Zephyr.

Thanks,

Mike

:hi: Mike: The scenery from Reno-EMY is worth a flight ( four letter word here! :giggle: ),I like your idea of the Card for sure, the CL is nothing much special but an overnight trip WAS-CHI, as you said mostly dark! Of course youll probably miss the New River Gorge that time of year, the Card is notoriuously slow and runs late, that trip is probably better in the summer, I did it in May on the way to PHL for National train day, great trip! Rode the CZ in August from SPI-EMY, the corn fields of Illinois,Iowa and the plains in Nebraska and Eastern Colorad are best run through @ night, nothing there but over weight people and corn! :lol: Don think youll regret taking the CZ, it is sort of a trade off , others will have good suggestions also as you know! Enjoy whatever seems like the most fun/use of Points! :) Jim

Looking for some advice and feedback on our Zephyr itinerary. Keep in mind - we plan to travel this December (when it gets dark very early) - using some AGR points, and some unused vouchers. Looking at the 2nd week of December, here is our question...

Our original plan was to board in Ashland, VA (near our home) and take NE Regional to Washington, then the Capital Limited to Chicago, and the Zephyr to Emeryville. Then fly home from SFO. I was going to purchase a low bucket fare on the Cap Limited to reach Toledo in a Roomette (just $249 total for two) and use AGR from Toledo to Emeryville (2 zone/20,000 points) for a roomette. And we would have a nice transcontinental train trip.

However, after some thought - knowing it will be December, and the sun sets at around 4:45 PM in DC, I thought that we would much prefer the Cardinal with a morning departure from DC (actually - Alexandria, VA). But the Cardinal will cost quite a bit more to get to Cincinnati - which is where we could use our two zone award to Emeryville. So I pondered all this and came up with a new plan. We would use a two zone award from Ashland - and take the Cardinal to Chicago and the Zephyr to Denver. Then simply purchase two coach fares from DEN to Grand Junction. We would just spend that day in the Sightseer Lounge anyway, and hop off at Grand Junction at dusk. After a night in a hotel in Grand Junction, we would just head back to Virginia, coach to DEN and then a two zone (20,000) award to get home.

By making this change, we will miss that last day on the Zephyr (mostly from around Reno to Emeryville), since the section before Reno is mostly at night. Any thoughts on cutting out Donner Pass and the Sierra Nevada Mountains area. I was looking forward to that part of the trip. But not wild about flying back and all that. And I don't have the time right now, to go both ways (coast to coast) on the train. And I do like the idea of returning on the train from Grand Junction - with more daylight time on the train (especially in Iowa) and taking the Cap Limited Eastbound into DC - which is all daylight after Connellsville, PA when traveling East.

Sorry for all the info, just may help you to better understand our thoughts. I guess we are leaning to the round trip to Grand Junction and back, verses a one way trip across the US - going westbound on the Cap Limited (in December) and then on the Zephyr. Just hate to miss that last day on the Zephyr.

Thanks,

Mike
Well, I think that given your particular situation vis-a-vis AGR awards and the like, your plan makes a lot of sense.

The section of travel between Reno/Truckee and the top of the Donner Pass, after which the CZ then begins its long gradual descent into Auburn Canyon and the Sacramento Valley, is quite beautiful but not as magnificent as the Colorado Rockies. It's also a good deal shorter, with the best scenery lasting about 90 minutes maximum. The Denver-Grand Junction portion is a continual hour-upon-hour feast for the eyes, especially along the Colorado River where there is no Interstate within 50 miles to remind you of civilization. And with your plan to do the Denver-Grand Junction round-trip, you'll get a double-dose! Add to that the chance to see the views from the Cardinal, and I think you've figured out the best itinerary.

By the way, Grand Junction is a nice little town to explore in late afternoon and evening, having stopped there overnight once.

And if you're ever on the West Coast in Sacramento or San Francisco, you could do a two-day trip, San Francisco-Reno, night in Reno, and back on the CZ and get the best of the Sierra Nevada scenery.

I agree with your plan, but I might take the Cap Limited westbound and the Cardinal eastbound!
wink.gif
The best views on the Cardinal at that time of the year are eastbound. (Westbound it is dark by the time you get to the New River Gorge!
sad.gif
)

Thanks for the tips. I guess I have trouble making decisions... But I would guess either option would make a wonderful trip. The more time I spend pondering this, I do wonder about missing the Donner Pass area. But we could always do that on a future trip.

Thanks again!

Mike

And if you're planning for mid December, book ASAP - like yesterday! You could find no rooms available!
ohmy.gif

I booked the SWC for October IN JANUARY - and got the VERY LAST bedroom!
ohmy.gif

Last edited by a moderator:
Another vote for the DEN-GJT-DEN ride here....we just done it last weekend and it was terrific......here's the details and pics on my blog.... http://tumbleweedsmemories.blogspot.com/
:hi: OUTSTANDING! Thanks so much, great pics, it's evident yall loved the trip , who wouldnt! I just made this trip in August, sure brings back memories and the Music is frosting on the cake! :wub: You are so right about not putting off what you really want to do, Now is all there is! I always say about train trips that it can cure the soul and make it whole!Even though the food was mediocre(the Empire builder and the Coastal Starlite have the best IMO!)it always tastes a little better in the diner on a train! More please! ;) Jim

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back