Zephyr or SW Chief?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Woo Hoo! All booked, Lakeshore Limited to Chicago and California Zephyr to Emeryville! and then some sort of bus to the ferry building.Roomette all the way and a flight back a week later. In the words of the great Elmer Fudd, "West and Wewaxation at Wast!"

Last edited by a moderator:
I'm going in Sept across country.Don't know if I should take CZ or SWC westbound or eastbound.If

I take CZ WB I take SWC eastbound but it leaves at 6:15 pm any help would be appreciated

Thanks

Greg

Not knowing where home is, I would take the CZ westbound, CS up to PDX then the EB eastbound, It leaves earlier and there is only a few hours layover in Portland rather than an all day layover like in LAX.

I'd have to recommend giving the SWC some consideration for the eastbound trip. While the scenery is not a consistently spectacular as the CZ, it is better overall than the EB IMHO (yes, Glacier is beautiful but you are out of there around 10am and the rest of the day is spent in eastern Montana, which can be considered West Dakota for scenic interest). SWC has red rock country around Gallup, Glorietta and Raton passes.

SWC is also likely to be rerouted in the fairly near future because BNSF no longer uses Raton Pass and won't maintain it after the current contract is up. So if you have any interest in that route, ride it now, it may not be around much longer. The potential new route, the Transcon via Amarillo, is not as scenic.

There is a lot to do in LA, even just on public transit. Right by the station you have Olvera St, you have Phillipe's to have breakfast or lunch at. You can take the Red Line to Hollywood and Highland if that interests you. If you have a hankering for an In 'N Out burger, there's one near Sunset and Highland you can walk to from Hollywood and Highland. You can go to Long Beach on the Blue Line, or you can just take a busman's holiday and ride some of the various Metrolink lines.

LAUS's baggage room will hold bags for $4(?) bag.

Not sure how you may be planning to get to LA from the Bay Area off the CZ. You have to overnight somewhere to get to LA. You can come down from the Bay Area via the San Joaquin/bus connection in the morning and make the SWC connection that evening.

Last edited by a moderator:
Personally I would take the SWC to LAX, the CS to EMY (or MTZ) and the CZ east. There is a good connection at LAUS and if you are getting a sleeper you have the TRAXX first-class lounge available for the CS. And of course 1st Class pax on the CS get to use the Pacific Parlour Car (if running) for great meals, less crowded than a SSL, and wine/cheese tasting. Bay area requires an overnight for connections from the CS to the CZ. I rode a substantial portion of this itinerary last summer and really enjoyed it. You will have unbelievable scenery from deserts of the Southwest, crashing surf along the Pacific Coast to the High Sierras and the Rocky Mountains. And, as has been mentioned on this forum and others, the SWC route over Raton and Glorietta passes in New Mexico is endangered. Enjoy your trip.

I'd have to recommend giving the SWC some consideration for the eastbound trip. While the scenery is not a consistently spectacular as the CZ, it is better overall than the EB IMHO (yes, Glacier is beautiful but you are out of there around 10am and the rest of the day is spent in eastern Montana, which can be considered West Dakota for scenic interest). SWC has red rock country around Gallup, Glorietta and Raton passes.
SWC is also likely to be rerouted in the fairly near future because BNSF no longer uses Raton Pass and won't maintain it after the current contract is up. So if you have any interest in that route, ride it now, it may not be around much longer. The potential new route, the Transcon via Amarillo, is not as scenic.

There is a lot to do in LA, even just on public transit. Right by the station you have Olvera St, you have Phillipe's to have breakfast or lunch at. You can take the Red Line to Hollywood and Highland if that interests you. If you have a hankering for an In 'N Out burger, there's one near Sunset and Highland you can walk to from Hollywood and Highland. You can go to Long Beach on the Blue Line, or you can just take a busman's holiday and ride some of the various Metrolink lines.

Not sure how you may be planning to get to LA from the Bay Area off the CZ. You have to overnight somewhere to get to LA. You can come down from the Bay Area via the San Joaquin/bus connection in the morning and make the SWC connection that evening.
I have found it convenient to take the CS south to Santa Barbara and overnight there. Then take a mid-morning train from Santa Barbara to LA to connect to that evening's SWC.

Most times of the year, that will put the Pacific Ocean view from the CS still in daylight. But, if I was taking this run in the dead of winter, then I might leave the CS at San Luis Obispo for the evening and take a morning train from SLO to LA for the connection to the SWC, This assures that I get the Pacific Ocean View in daylight.

I have found it convenient to take the CS south to Santa Barbara and overnight there. Then take a mid-morning train from Santa Barbara to LA to connect to that evening's SWC.

Most times of the year, that will put the Pacific Ocean view from the CS still in daylight. But, if I was taking this run in the dead of winter, then I might leave the CS at San Luis Obispo for the evening and take a morning train from SLO to LA for the connection to the SWC, This assures that I get the Pacific Ocean View in daylight.
I did the CS in February on my way to SAN, I saw plenty of the ocean in the daylight and even got to see the sun set from the cliff run.

I would just like to chime in as the originator of this thread and say that I had a great trip on the CZ (in 2011) but it broke down in Nevada and were bussed to SF after big delays! Since then I have ridden the SWC Eastbound, the Card, and the Empire Builder and the CS and Silver Service several times! I have loved it all. This Fall's trip is the Capitol Ltd. to the Texas Eagle to LAX and another spin on the CS! Woooooooo! Still need to get that last bit of the CZ.

Took the CZ last spring and in spring 1966 (and yes, I did wear a suit). Love that train! I am taking the CZ to Galesburg next spring just to catch the SWC from there. Took the CS this May DAV to SEA. Both the CZ and CS are great trains. I have never taken the SWC so I am looking forward to it. I don't think there is a bad way to go West! Enjoy the trip and don't blink or you may miss something spectacular.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back