Zephyr or SW Chief?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

reefgeek

Lead Service Attendant
AU Supporting Member
I am going to do something I wanted to do for a long time, and take the train from NY Penn to San Francisco to see my brother. I recently discovered this marvelous board and I've been lurking here a little. I'm going by myself and I plan to book a roomette. I'm flying back.

Now that it's getting time to book, I see I can either take the CZ from Chicago straight to Emeryville or whatever, or I can take the Southwest Chief, then spend a day on the Coast Starlight going from LA to SF. The cost seems about the same. Is there anything to recommend one train over the other (besides that nice run up the coast)?

I am going to do something I wanted to do for a long time, and take the train from NY Penn to San Francisco to see my brother. I recently discovered this marvelous board and I've been lurking here a little. I'm going by myself and I plan to book a roomette. I'm flying back.

Now that it's getting time to book, I see I can either take the CZ from Chicago straight to Emeryville or whatever, or I can take the Southwest Chief, then spend a day on the Coast Starlight going from LA to SF. The cost seems about the same. Is there anything to recommend one train over the other (besides that nice run up the coast)?
Well, the question in the title CZ versus Sunset, hands down CZ. As to the CZ versus the Southwest Chief, although the Southwest Chief is a favorite of mine, if this is your first venture on a Western LD, I have to say go with the CZ. The second day westbound pretty much starts after Denver with the dramatic climb up the Front Range, then Moffett Tunnel, and then spends most of the rest of that day in the canyons of Colorado's Western Slope. You end the day running through Ruby Canyon on the CO-UT border and then run along the base of the Book Cliffs as the sun is going down. The third day you go over the Sierra Nevada on Donner Pass. The CZ is the top run for scenary on the whole system, IMO.

Last edited by a moderator:
The Sunset will take a full 2 extra days from CHI-SFO; and the scenery across west Texas is dead boring, to say nothing of the 8 hour overnight layover in San Antonio.

Last edited:
Personally, I myself am torn between the Zephyr (CZ) or Southwest Chief (SWC) - especially with a sleeper.

As mentioned. the scenery is much better on the CZ. However, if you take the SWC, it connects to the Coast Starlite (CS) in LAX. The run north on the CS takes you right along the southern California shoreline. Also if you have a sleeper on this portion, the CS carries the Pacific Parlour Car (PPC). Although it is a day trip, many passengers chose to get a sleeper. It includes access to the PPC (coach passengers can not use it) and also includes 2 meals!

Yes, urrm, that's what I meant, California Zephyr versus Southwest Chief...not what's in the subject....Thanks for understanding what I meant...

I am traveling from CHI - SEA this March for my first LD train trip, and I definitely considered the CZ but instead, opted to do the Southwest Chief. The reasons were:

• I really wanted to take the Coast Starlight
  • There is a rumor that the PPCs will be going away after 2012 (CS only train)
  • The arrival time of the CZ in California was not good and left a long layover to the CS

Boy, you've posed a really tough one! It's hard to say you will go wrong either way. The Zephyr is, train route vs train route, the most stunning route in the US, with both the Rockies, the eastern Utah canyons and the Sierra Nevada/Donner Pass all in one trip!

But the combination SW Chief and Coast Starlight is awfully, awfully close in terms of fantastic vistas. The Chief offers spectacular scenery of the US southwest on the second day, from narrow canyons to 360-degree views of northern New Mexico and Arizona. And the scenes outside the Coast Starlight north along the Pacific between LA and San Luis Obispo can take your breath away, rain or shine.

If you do decide on the Chief/Starlight combo, follow the advice of The Traveler and book a roomette. It's not that much more for the day and does give you the parlor car and good meals.

Best idea of all: the CZ westbound, the Starlight/Chief eastbound! (if you got enough time and dough, that is) :)

Best idea of all: the CZ westbound, the Starlight/Chief eastbound! (if you got enough time and dough, that is) :)
Maybe after I retire! Of course, by then it will all be high-speed rail, har har.

My wife and I took the Starlight a couple of years ago from San Luis Obisbo to Seattle. We ended up about 12 hours late, which was swell on the train, great scenery and all, but we were dropped in Seattle at 3AM, which is kind of late to check into your hotel. We ended up doing it anyway, $250 down the tubes. It was heavenly.

I'm gonna fly in the face of most here and say that we prefer the SWC. We've done both the CZ (this past October) and the SWC (in June 2007), and we prefer the scenery in the southwest US. Maybe that's just our personal preference, but we really enjoyed the SWC.

they're both amazing, so either way you will have an extraordinary time. i am a big SWC fan, despite having only ridden it once! :( the scenery on the second day is astonishing. it's like being on another planet and i mean that in the best possible way! :) it was one train trip that i definitely wished was a longer ride; it really is beautiful. but the zephyr is beautiful too and in many ways the sierra nevadas are even more gorgeous than the rockies. the coast starlight is pretty dreamy...having a yummy, even elegant, lunch in the parlor car while the scenery flies by is a real treat.

they're both amazing, so either way you will have an extraordinary time. i am a big SWC fan, despite having only ridden it once! :( the scenery on the second day is astonishing. it's like being on another planet and i mean that in the best possible way! :) it was one train trip that i definitely wished was a longer ride; it really is beautiful. but the zephyr is beautiful too and in many ways the sierra nevadas are even more gorgeous than the rockies. the coast starlight is pretty dreamy...having a yummy, even elegant, lunch in the parlor car while the scenery flies by is a real treat.
I agree, AJ, that the Sierra Nevadas are VERY compelling. We certainly enjoyed our CZ trip in October, but, as you aptly point out, the second travel day on the SWC is absolutely stunning.

maybe some photos will help?

my first zephyr trip:

http://www.flickr.co...57623852600648/

my chief trip (this also includes a few photos from the adirondack and LSL):

http://www.flickr.co...57622359899289/
Thank you, those were just beautiful! Now I don't have to go, just kidding. Your photos certainly make the Zephyr look like the more scenic trip. I'll probably do them both eventually.

In truth, I've been in love with the idea since I picked up this book called Classic American Streamliners by Mike Schaefer and Joe Welsh. What I really want to do is ride the Super Chief and the "real" California Zephyr of yore. In the 1940s. Wearing a business suit and a grey fedora. But I know that's not possible. And no, I don't go first class when I fly either.

I was pleased to see you're shooting some 35mm with your little Rollei, am I right? My first photography was done with my dad's big Rolleiflex TLR. It was almost hard to take a bad picture with that camera. RIP.

Have been on both several times- great scenery either way- we prefer the SWC, as we live near the mountains in Maine and like the contrast of the desert and mesas in the Southwest.

my first zephyr trip:

FABULOUS Photos!! These should definitely be in the trip reports forum. We are booked on the CZ to Reno in October, but we are considering an alternate return trip, maybe after a week in Reno, continue on to SF and take the CS down to LA and hop the SWC back home to IND via CHI.

OR If I win the Lottery:

Continue CZ to Emeryville, and hop a train to Vancouver, CAN and take the Canadian to Toronto, with a return via LSL to CHI.

UHMMMMM,...... Choices, Choices.

my first zephyr trip:

Thank you, those were just beautiful! Now I don't have to go, just kidding. Your photos certainly make the Zephyr look like the more scenic trip. I'll probably do them both eventually.

In truth, I've been in love with the idea since I picked up this book called Classic American Streamliners by Mike Schaefer and Joe Welsh. What I really want to do is ride the Super Chief and the "real" California Zephyr of yore. In the 1940s. Wearing a business suit and a grey fedora. But I know that's not possible. And no, I don't go first class when I fly either.

I was pleased to see you're shooting some 35mm with your little Rollei, am I right? My first photography was done with my dad's big Rolleiflex TLR. It was almost hard to take a bad picture with that camera. RIP.
If you want to ride a train that is as close to the real CZ as possible today, try Via's Canadian. The Canadian's Budd equipment is similar to the CZ's. You get Budd short domes through the Rockies.

No question in my mind, the Zephyr has the most interesting scenery, I have taken it many times... its fantastic!

Ed :cool:
I've taken the CZ so many times I've lost count. :rolleyes: I'm guessing I have taken it 11 times but don't qoute me :cool: .Always better in the sleepers and let's not forget the meals. :lol: OH i forgot I'm taking the SWC to lax and then CS to sea in May. :) Just counting the days :D

Last edited by a moderator:
I am traveling from CHI - SEA this March for my first LD train trip, and I definitely considered the CZ but instead, opted to do the Southwest Chief. The reasons were:

• I really wanted to take the Coast Starlight
  • There is a rumor that the PPCs will be going away after 2012 (CS only train)
  • The arrival time of the CZ in California was not good and left a long layover to the CS

Me too. I'm a member of that club taking swc to connect to CS :p but in May

I've taken the CZ so many times I've lost count. :rolleyes: I'm guessing I have taken it 11 times but don't qoute me :cool:
I won't qoute you on it - but I reserve the option to quote you on it!
mosking.gif

Having taken all of Amtrak's long distance routes, I consider the CZ to be the most scenic. So the answer between the CZ and SWC is obviously the CZ!

I've taken both trains from San Francisco, and the I'd take the Zephyr. Actual travel time is about the same from Iowa on both, but the Zephyr is a one seat ride. I've taken the Southwest Chief in winter for fear of delays, but scenery is better on the Zephyr. Also, changing trains in LA is a pain. The San Joaquin will get you to SF quicker but has a (painless) two hour bus leg. The Coast Starlight is nice, but slow and often delayed. You probably won't arrive before midnight. BUT a roomette from LA to SF is inexpensive and worth the cost.

I'm surprised no one recommended taking the CZ westbound rather than the other way around. Depending on the time of the year and delays, the segment between the Moffit Tunnel and Denver may be in the dark, although the descent of the Front Range into Denver is almost as spectacular in the dark.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back