Zephyr or Starlight

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

saxman

Engineer
AU Supporting Member
Gathering Team Member
Well my dad is going to join me on a trip. He told me to plan everything, so I'm wondering which route I should take. My two choices are the California Zethyr from Omaha to San Francisco or the Coast Starlight from LAX to Seattle. He would love the Parlour Car. Yet I have never done the CZ and would really like to. I've already done the CS going south.

Chris

Well I guess it comes down to which type of scenery you prefer. Personally, I enjoy the majest peaks, numerous bridges/tunnels, and steep inclines of the California Zephyr over Donner pass and Moffat.

Some however like the beautiful green forests of the pacific northwest coupled with beautiful ocean-side running to the south. Its up to you!

Hi,

Just remember that there exists the possibility that the Pacific Parlour Car will not be working. That happened to me! I'd go with the CZ. Are you in Omaha, then? Hey, that's my hometown! (currently in the UAE).

Enjoy your trip.

My vote is for you to do the CZ for your own sake, as you have not yet done so.

Since your father will not have a frame of reference he could conceivably enjoy either one. Do you know if he has strong ideas about which type of scenery he would prefer? If not, take the CZ. I think most people would tell you that, actually.

I know the Pacific Parlour car is a unique animal,(and, I, too, wish all the long distance trains had one) but I suspect he would be more impressed with the Rockies.

On the Starlight from LAX to Seattle, you've got 110 miles along the Pacific Ocean, the climb over Santa Marguerita Pass, the ride through the Salinas Valley (Steinbeck country), the ride along the base of Mount Shasta (you can see the massive volcano for miles in either direction), Klamath Falls, the crossing of the Oregon Cascades (I think the second most scenic section of the Starlight route after the Pacific Ocean), the Willamette Valley. After Portland (northbound), it will probably be dark. Still, all in all, a great ride.Steve's Coast Starlight

But the Zephyr is a great train, too. Splurge and ride both of them. Keep in mind that Amtrak has packages with United Airline where people can take the train one way, and fly back (or vice versa). Perhaps something of that nature could be done here.

I truly love the scenery on both trains; however, the people that ride them are also unique.

On the Coast Starlight, I tend to meet a lively and fun-loving crowd, not to mention some right pretty young ladies.

On the Zephyr, I tend to find the conversational types that love to talk about politics, religion, history, and grandma's recipes.

You really can't go wrong with either train! I ride the Zephyr more simply because it's more adaptable to my travel routine.

Back