Zephyr #5 service disruption 4/11/2013

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Chuckles

Train Attendant
Does anyone know what happened? The train that left Chicago 4/10 departed LNK early on 4/11 but has not reached HAS.

Same for #6 - probably something to do with the nasty storm that recently barreled through the mid section.

According to an Amtrak report from the Arrow system, 5 UP locomotives derailed on the Moffat subdivision. AMTK 5 is detouring from DEN - SLC via the Wyoming route. Also AMTK 6 is Using the normal route.

I received a paper copy of the report from my local station agent.

AMTK 5 is detouring from DEN - SLC via the Wyoming route.
If so, I don't understand why the schedule shows the train having vanished somewhere in Nebraska. it is not reported as having ever arrived at DEN, let alone SLC.

Consider that to be the glitches in the way that Amtrak handles "service disruptions" on its web site. It essentially blocks out all future reports on the train, even when it often does pick up service for points further down the line. However, the Amtrak iPhone app is now correctly reporting that 5(10) arrived SLC this evening at 8:30 PM (3 hrs early because of a fast run on the UP detour through Wyoming). While service to Provo is listed as "service disruption, no times available". However, passengers who originally were going to Provo will probably be bussed from SLC. And passengers who were destined to GSC or GJT were most likely put on the Greyhound bus that connects with 5 in Denver to carry passengers to Frisco and Vail, Colorado.

If a sleeper accomodation is replaced with Greyhound, is any refund due?

IIRC, the accommodation charge (or a relevant share of it) is refunded without penalty, but the base fare is not.

And by "relevant share of accomodation charge" to be refunded, I am guessing that in this instance for #5, the relevant portion would be the difference between the accomodation charge you paid for your ultimate destination in Colorado or Utah between stations Fraser and Helper, and the accomodation charge to Denver.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back