Zephrs at Aurora IL

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
D

D Hartman

When was the last date a Zephyr (Illinois Z or California Z) stopped at Aurora, IL?

The last Amtrak timetable with Aurora stop is October 28, 1984. The first timetable with Naperville stop (in place of Aurora) is April 28, 1985. Bo timetables published in between.

Does this mean the last time either train stopped in Aurora was April 27? Or was service moved to Naperville on an earlier date between October 1984 and April 27, 1985?

And was service with both trains stopped on the same date?

Thanks.

Last edited:
Yes, that would be 27 April 1985. Note that the CZ takes two days to get from EMY to CHI, so I don't know about the 6. The 5 gets there just after departure.

So why the change? Aurora is a larger city than Naperville. Don't know about back in 1985, though.

So why the change? Aurora is a larger city than Naperville. Don't know about back in 1985, though.
I'm guessing, but the current Metra station dates from the mid-1980s and is on a stub-track. Amtrak definitely can't use it, and Naperville is the next nearest major stop in the western suburbs.

I'm guessing, but the current Metra station dates from the mid-1980s and is on a stub-track. Amtrak definitely can't use it, and Naperville is the next nearest major stop in the western suburbs.
That was the reason, Metra moved to a new station off the main line and Naperville was the next station down the line. Naperville and Aurora are about equal in population, and Naperville may have an edge there.

IIRC, in the contemporary Amtrak news back then, they stated that they were moving because the location around the Aurora station had become a depressed area, while the Naperville station location was booming upscale, with much new development....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back