YouTube

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TrainLoverJoy

Lead Service Attendant
Anyone else watch YouTube videos of your favorite train leaving your favorite station just to get "the feel" of going on a trip that day? If I had unlimited money I'd be leaving at least once a week! (We're all nuts, aren't we!)

YEAH, We Are!!!! :giggle:

But, Havin Fun!!!!
It's funny... I'll confess something here that I've never revealed in public before.

From (almost) the moment of my birth, I thought I was always cursed with this "savant like" affinity for sounds... mechanical sounds.

While my "curse" has a decent toe hold in the area of Trains/Locomotives (witness my "Screamers" thread :D ), it has manifest itself

primarily in the world of commercial "jet engines." I can literally identify the make, and sometimes the model # of various jet engines,

simply by listening to the sounds they make upon ignition, taxi, take off, etc. Should I ever hit the Zillion $$$ Lottery, will I buy aircraft

engines that are the most fuel efficient, or the least costly to maintain, or with the best performance? Of course not! I'll buy the engines

that *sound* the coolest! :eek: (First things first, though... I'll have EMD make me a pair of original "Screamers" and some track to run them on) :p :p :p

For years, I thought I was absolutely nuts about this... And then... I discovered "YouTube." When I saw the total tonnage of video on YouTube

in re: aircraft engine ignitions, taxis, take offs, landings, etc. (most from the inside - which is wondrous since one really isn't permitted to use

electronic devices below 10,000ft), I had to laugh at my embarrassed self for even considering that I might be even the slightest bit crazy.. And, more

than just the video footage, it was the "comments" people left for each video (i.e. "Wow, that was the coolest take off" ... or "Man, those GE90-115Bs

sound impressive on ignition!", etc. etc.).

Trust me... we are not alone in this... :)

I was hoping to hear there were more nutty dreamers like me. I live 100 miles from Chicago, but if I were closer I'm sure there would be days I would find myself hanging around Union Station and track 19.....watching a long-distance train or two arrive or depart. But, I can almost get the same feeling occasionally watching the EB, CZ or SC arriving or departing Union Station via YouTube.

My next reservation is 3 long months away.....so living vicariously through people lucky enough to be leaving today is just a way of pretending it's me!

My next reservation is 3 long months away.....so living vicariously through people lucky enough to be leaving today is just a way of pretending it's me!

Don't worry I do the same. My first train trip is 3 months, 2 weeks and 1/2 day away but I'm not counting....... :)

I have lots of videos of just random stuff I filmed out of train windows. Most of it is totally uninteresting to anything but myself, but I sometimes watch it to bring back memories of past train trips.

Most of it I have on my own hard disk as I don't think YouTube viewers would care. But this one I have uploaded:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bHK2sGmoczw

Thanks for the video. I've been on that curve a few times and

it is alway fun to re-experience the curve.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back