Your opinion please

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jb64

OBS Chief
I just boarded a regional from Charlottesville headed to Philly. My daughter will be joining me, separate reservation, at Burke Center which is an unstaffed station. I still had my one class upgrade coupons from being select for this year which I had not yet used so I thought I would upgrade us to business class. When I presented the reservations and the coupons to the ticket agent at the station, he refused to do it since her name wasn't on the coupons. I immediately called the number on the select card to see if they could upgrade hers for me and got a helpful agent but she kept having to ask her support team. She finally came back and said that they would call the Charlottesville station while I was on hold to talk to them about upgrading hers since she was boarding at an unstaffed station and would not be able to turn in a coupon there. When they called, the agent told them that he refused to do it since her name was not on the coupon so that came back to me to say he refused to do it and they couldn't make him. The agent then asked if I wanted her to try to contact AGR about the situation and so I stayed on hold for a long time while they tried to work it out. Finally, as I was waiting to board my train, they came back and suggested I contact customer service about the situation. They said the coupons do state in black and white that they are transferrable and so they could not make the station agent do it. I said they do not state that they are but it also does not state that I could not use them for a ticket I purchased for someone else. They agreed which is why they suggested I contact customer service regarding the whole instance. So now, I was stuck with my ticket being business class and my daughter's ticket in coach and so I asked them to switch mine back to coach as we would want to sit together and she did so as I was boarding the train. We hoped there was not a problem with me sitting in coach now since the rese had been upgraded and she was concerned that now I had lost my coupon since I had turned that one in.

Anyway, should I have been able to use the coupon to upgrade my daughter's ticket too since I had two coupons or was the ticket agent right? Should I call customer service about the situation?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back