Your favorite Club Acela

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Getting AGR select Plus was great! Aside from the points for the free travel, I have unlimited use of the Club Acela. (Plus the Metropolitan lounges and the other first class lounges at in other stations.) This is especially great at Washinton Union Station, because from the Club Acela you can skip the cattle line for boarding, one of the less enjoyable parts of the Amtrak (or any carrier's) travel experience, IMO.

Anyway, today I took a day trip to Philly, and enjoyed the Club Acela at 30th stree, so now I've experienced all of them on the Northeast Corridor -- Boston, New York, Philly, and DC. I would say that my favorite is Boston, as it's the most spacious, and quietest. However, there's no direct access to the platforms, so when they call your train, you have to go down and join the cattle line. It's aslo on a mezzanine, so if you have cumbersome luggage, you have to use an elevator.

Philadelphia's is also very nice, , it's on a mezzanine, too, but they have elevators that allegedly go down directly to the platform. I say allegedly becuase this evening the elevator stopped at the main level and refused to go lower, so we had to get out and join the cattle line (which wasn't all that long, actually.) Also, the Philly Club Acela could use some soundproofing, as the main hall PA was clearly audible. A positive note, they only had one TV with that @#%#^@!! CNN blaring, abd it was down at the far end.

The DC Club Acela is very convenient, it's nice and isolated from the hubub outside in the station, and it has good access to the platforms. You don't have to go up an elevator or stairs, but the place has a bit of a cramped feeling, and it seems that you can't escape the TVs with CNN blaring. (If I hear one more political analysis of Romeny, Santorum and Newt, I'll scream, or at least vomit -- that's on the basis of the quality of the journalism, not that they're covering those guys.) You klnow, everybod now has mobile devices. Maybe they can get rid of the TVs.

The worst club Acela of the bunch is in New York Penn. It's like Washington in that it's quite and you don't have to go up any stairs, but it's kind of cramped. There's also no direct connection to the platform, so when they cal your train, and your'e not a sleeper passenger, you're out in the cattle line. Not that I'm complaining too much, as it beats being in the main waiting area. (I especially remember one time we were boarding the Adirondack -- there were 2 cattle lines, at least we were going to Port Kent, so we didn't have to be in the Montreal line where they were checking passports.

Agreements? Disagreements?

I like BOS and PHL....i usually have a red cap in BOS so i get out to the train early...and PHL most tracks have access from the lounge...some of the staff/red caps in BOS are entertaining....

last time i was in PHL though a couple weeks ago they had no bottled water...the agent said they didn't have it any more....i didn't feel like going back down and across the station to buy it....but i was bummed. Emailed Amtrak and they were going to 'look into that'

DC's is also nice...

I agree NYP is a pain, but one of the agents there actually got my S+ card sent to me last year after i literally called 6 times or more, and sent countless emails...less than a week after i asked her, Fed Ex showed up with it...not sure who she contacted.....

PHL is my home CA so it's nice for me and I use it frequently. Although I really like hearing the PA system that is from the main hall. BOS is my favorite. Red cap to the train and I get my choice of seating. Plus it's a beauty.

I prefer WAS, but I'm in WAS pretty regularly. NYP's CA is undoubtedly the worst of the bunch. Other than that...no strong opinions on the CAs, though I've spent plenty of time in the CHI Met Lounge.

While they all have their Pluses as has been said, the only one I dont really care for is

NYP, it has the Staff Attitude and Crowding of the Metro Lounge in Chicago (in the afternoon CHI is Packed!!!)but as was said sure beats the heck out of the Bull Pen when you have to wait! Sure wish Washington was a little Bigger, and Boston and Philadelphia both rate Highly also! Overall, if forced to choose, Id pick Washington!! ^_^

Last edited by a moderator:
Ah, yes, of course, the red caps! I forgot about them as a tool in the eternal quest to avoid the cattle line. Last fall, I came on on the Capitol Limited, and had to make a connection to the Regional to Baltimore during the rush hour. And, as luck would have it, the Regional in question was leaving from one of the lower level tracks, which are not as easy to access from the CA doors, as you have to pass through an upper level gate, and then have to deal with the gate-**** for the lower level gate. (It's a little more laid back for 188 at 7:10 PM, but if your train is during the rush hour, the gate attendants think you entered through the VRE entrance and are trying to pull a fast one on them.)\\Anyway, as I had a sleeper on #30, I was in the CA, and asked a red cap to help me board. It was great! He basically walked me through all the line and gate-****s, and got me on board before everyone else, so I had a choice of seats. Best $5 tip I ever gave. (And it was the best $5 tip he ever earned, as he didn't carry my bag, it was a wheelie, and it was just as easy for me to roll it along as it was for me to give it to him.)

I'll have to remember about the red caps.

I.some of the staff/red caps in BOS are entertaining....

The baggage guys at South Station are also some of the friendliest service workers around, even when they tell you that your baggage might not go out that night if there's no baggage car for 67. I think there's something about blue-collar Bostonians, they are good at giving service without being servile or resentful about being in a service occupation.

Philadelphia's is also very nice, , it's on a mezzanine, too, but they have elevators that allegedly go down directly to the platform. I say allegedly becuase this evening the elevator stopped at the main level and refused to go lower, so we had to get out and join the cattle line (which wasn't all that long, actually.)
Did you get on the elevator yourself or did you wait for the attendant to make the announcement for your train?

If you did it yourself, then that's why you had a problem. The attendant must key the elevator to reach the platforms. So if you just jumped on, that's why you got stuck in the cattle call.

And up in Boston, if you're traveling in First Class than you can show your ticket to the gate attendant and skip the line if they haven't started general boarding.

While they all have their Pluses as has been said, the only one I dont really care for is

NYP, it has the Staff Attitude and Crowding of the Metro Lounge in Chicago (in the afternoon CHI is Packed!!!)but as was said sure beats the heck out of the Bull Pen when you have to wait! Sure wish Washington was a little Bigger, and Boston and Philadelphia both rate Highly also! Overall, if forced to choose, Id pick Washington!! ^_^
I have to disagree with you here Jim. Yes, there are 1 or 2 so-so agents in NYP, but most of them are very good at what they do. Generally if one seems less than pleasant it probably has more to do with them being so busy and not so much an attitude thing. The Metro lounge agents don't issue many tickets, they mainly have to just check people in and make announcements.

The NY CA agents issue more tickets than some agents in stations do. I'd guess that at least 1/3rd of those who walk into the NY CA have the agents issuing tickets and often performing upgrades or changes from one train to an earlier one. Those ticket machines in that lounge pump out a lot of tickets! :eek:

And the amount of people using that lounge easily rivals that in Chicago, its just that the turnover is higher & faster in NY.

So again, those agents are kept very busy!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back