Your "bring list" for riding the rails?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A good swiss army knife. The one I carry has screwdriver blades for both slotted and phillips, can opener, bottle opener, scissors, saw, awl, tweeser and two knife blades. I dont drink wine so not having a corkscrew is not a problem.

Duct tape, power strip, personal water bottle, TIMETABLE, 1/4 roll toilet paper, personal first aid kit with bandaids and gloves.

The extra undies (as mentioned) plus enough layers of clothes for weather that might be expected on the trip, anywhere on the route.

I typically bring $2 bills for tips.
I was at a restaurant a few weeks ago, and the people at the next table left a $2 bill. Clearly, the waitstaff would have been less insulted if they left nothing at all.

For all practical purposes, $2 bills are worthless. Especially for someone who needs their tips to pay their bills. The one waiter remarked they had a stack of $2 bills at home, from all the jerks that leave them as tips, but just didn't have the time to go to a bank to trade them in for some usable currency.

BTW, I felt really sorry for the guy, he works really hard for his tips, and traded him two $1 bills for the $2. Gave the $2 bill to my grandkid as a novelty item.
I feel sorry for you. You seem not to be of the United States of America. $2 bills are legal currency and have been for centuries. If you treat them as novelties, that is on you. They are spendable anywhere currency is accepted. Only time I run into problems is with teenagers who's grandparents apparently never gave them any... :p

Hubby and I have never brought extra items specifically related to the train, just our regular stuff (including tip cash) for the trip. I do bring a larger cloth purse to use as a small totebag so that I can take the small electronics, etc. with us to the dining car, but I always bring that even if not going by train. I bring a GPSr but that is so I can geocache. It does come in handy for checking the speed of the train if you are interested in such. (BTW, the train is usually going much faster than it seems.) We've never been on the train so long (all day trips and a couple of overnight ones) that we needed to recharge electronics, but a short extension cord might be good for that. I don't even remember where the outlet is in the Viewliner accessible unit as we've never used it. We've never brought or needed the duct tape, etc. that some others bring, and never had any problems.

To recap, I'd suggest just bringing your regular stuff including any special needs you have, and a small tote of some kind to take your valuables with you when you move about the train.

Last edited by a moderator:
I typically bring $2 bills for tips.
I was at a restaurant a few weeks ago, and the people at the next table left a $2 bill. Clearly, the waitstaff would have been less insulted if they left nothing at all.

For all practical purposes, $2 bills are worthless. Especially for someone who needs their tips to pay their bills. The one waiter remarked they had a stack of $2 bills at home, from all the jerks that leave them as tips, but just didn't have the time to go to a bank to trade them in for some usable currency.

BTW, I felt really sorry for the guy, he works really hard for his tips, and traded him two $1 bills for the $2. Gave the $2 bill to my grandkid as a novelty item.
I feel sorry for you. You seem not to be of the United States of America. $2 bills are legal currency and have been for centuries. If you treat them as novelties, that is on you. They are spendable anywhere currency is accepted. Only time I run into problems is with teenagers who's grandparents apparently never gave them any... :p
Technically any retailer can reject currency as it sees fit, and I have encountered a few that simply didn't want to accept them even though they knew it was real currency. Some businesses don't accept $100 bills, often depending on time of day (especially at night). Some stores might reject a sale if someone needs to count out a pocket full of quarters or pennies. There's no legal reason why a retailer can't reject $1 bills.

As for "centuries", the history of the US $2 bill started in 1862, so it may not have existed that far back. Before then paper currency was usually in the form of private bank notes. I'm guessing there used to be $2 versions.

A good swiss army knife. The one I carry has screwdriver blades for both slotted and phillips, can opener, bottle opener, scissors, saw, awl, tweeser and two knife blades. I dont drink wine so not having a corkscrew is not a problem.
Duct tape, power strip, personal water bottle, TIMETABLE, 1/4 roll toilet paper, personal first aid kit with bandaids and gloves.

The extra undies (as mentioned) plus enough layers of clothes for weather that might be expected on the trip, anywhere on the route.
Karl

It is imperative that only the toilet paper issued by Amtrak be used. It is a special quick acting biodegradable type that keeps the waste treatment system operating. In the 35+ years I was employed by Amtrak in the mechanical department I have had the "pleasure" of working on retention toilets from the first in 1973 until my retirement in 2008. The root cause of the majority of toilet failures is foreign objects blocking the system at one point or another. This includes "soft" toilet paper wads.

The only objects that should go into Amtrak toilets are human waste and the Amtrak supplied paper. For any other products that you would need to dispose of in a restroom I would suggest that you bring your personal supply of zipper seal type plastic bags and use the waste containers.

PS at a presentation on waste systems that I gave in Philadelphia the CMO's comment was that I really know my s**t!

Not sure if this goes with this thread, but...

I want to bring a cooler on my trip next month with soda, water and some items that need to stay cold. I realized that I am actually on the train for 5 days before getting to the hotel for ice replacement. My question is, is there somewhere in Chicago near the station or in the station where I can get ice for my cooler. I am traveling in coach so would like to bring some food along so I do not have to purchase every meal.

I am taking the LSL/CZ/CS from WOR to SLM, but want to try and save money by bringing my own food for some of the meals.

I want to bring a cooler on my trip next month with soda, water and some items that need to stay cold. I realized that I am actually on the train for 5 days before getting to the hotel for ice replacement. My question is, is there somewhere in Chicago near the station or in the station where I can get ice for my cooler. I am traveling in coach so would like to bring some food along so I do not have to purchase every meal.

I am taking the LSL/CZ/CS from WOR to SLM, but want to try and save money by bringing my own food for some of the meals.
There is a CVS on the opposite corner, on Clinton (I think). We usually go there to get last-minute snacks and drinks. It's as large as a grocery store, so they might have bags of ice. They might even have those portable "fake ice" things for coolers.

If they don't, you could grab some snow and stick it in ziploc bags. Chicago still has snow in February. :)

Hi,

I think the most important thing to bring on any trip is a good sense of humor... when in Europe I take along humour instead!

Ed :cool:

On any trip, I bring a sense of adventure, and my sanity....ermmm cant bring what I dont have right?

Seriously though.

1. Your own pillow/blanket. The pillows provided by Amtrak are small, and the blankets in the sleepers are pretty thin.

2. Assorted candies, lemon drops and life savers are my personal faves.

3. Juice, like gatorade in the small bottles. Good for holding you up between meals.

4. If going Coach, I bring what I call a CSP *coach survival pack* Pillow, blanket, warmer clothing, *coach can get cold at night*,

5. Tip money, or if going Coach, food money as well. Dinner is the most expensive meal out of the meals.

There is a CVS on the opposite corner, on Clinton (I think). We usually go there to get last-minute snacks and drinks. It's as large as a grocery store, so they might have bags of ice. They might even have those portable "fake ice" things for coolers.
Even if the CVS does have ice to buy, I would suggest looking for this while in the store and buying some. Either in addition to the ice, or maybe even instead of the ice. You might wish to bring along a ziplock bag to put these cold packs in, prior to putting them in your cooler, especially if you have any food items not in a container just for safety's sake.

But these packs are amazing IMHO. My mom had leftovers from a dinner on our recent trip to Boston that she wanted to get home. I broke the inner bag for her in our hotel room around 10 AM, within 10 seconds it was ice cold. She put that in the bag with her dinner. At 11 AM we took the hotel shuttle to South Station in Boston. We caught the 1:15PM Acela to NY, arriving around 4:30 PM. Mom then walked to the Port Authority bus terminal in NY, waited a half hour for the next bus to Allentown PA. Arriving there around 7 PM. Then she had a 45 minute drive home from the bus station.

We she took her dinner out of the bag, both it and the pack were still very cold.

And she had no rolling water from the ice to worry about.

So you could buy a couple of these packs, there are two per box, use one right away and then throw it away when it starts to warm. Then break the inner bag on the next one and repeat.

My list:
GPS

Multiple Laptops

20 ft extension cord

8" fan

Small space heater

Scanner

Rechargeable Blue Max Marine Spotlight (looking out window at night)

Wine

Hair Dryer

Window Tint (Temporary Kind)

Earplugs

Ipad

Window Mount Video Camera

LED strip lights

Small Generator(Under 2KW)

Driveway Alert(Lets me know if someone goes in my room while i'm in the lounge)

LED Video Projector

5X5 white sheet (to project movies onto)

Gaffer Tape, NOT DUCT TAPE

Wireless Router/Booster

Windex

Multitool

Swiss Army Knife

Thats it.....

You forgot the lighted make-up mirror, iron, and radiation detector. ;)

Due mainly to hubby's mobility limitations, we, too, had to learn to pack much more lightly than we previously did, no matter the mode of transportation. We could easily go on week or longer trips with one wheeled 22" carry-on and a small tote bag (granted, we always had laundry facilities at our destinations). He was not physically able to help with luggage, and in later years was in a lightweight wheelchair. It's amazing what you can painlessly do without! (For avid readers, Kindles are a great blessing.) We sort of packed for the best-case scenario instead of the worst-case, and fortunately never had any problems. I can't really brag that I'm a "light" packer, though, as I still always manage to bring a few things that I never use.

I hope this wasn't too far OT. Lighter is easier, in my experience.

My list:GPS

Multiple Laptops

20 ft extension cord

8" fan

Small space heater

Scanner

Wine

Hair Dryer

Earplugs

Ipad

LED strip lights

LED Video Projector

Wireless Router/Booster

Windex

Multitool

Swiss Army Knife

Thats it.....

Best. Packing list. EVER.

Yes, they are! I could skip the Kindle and use the phone Kindle app, but I still bring it. Phone also has a geocaching app, but a dedicated GPSr seems to be more reliably accurate, so I bring that, too. And always a few Clorox wipes. Train or not, I always bring this stuff.

It's hopeless!! (being a truly "light" packer)

61SBkLxMnAL._AA300_.jpg

My list:GPS

Multiple Laptops

20 ft extension cord

8" fan

Small space heater

Scanner

Wine

Hair Dryer

Earplugs

Ipad

LED strip lights

LED Video Projector

Wireless Router/Booster

Windex

Multitool

Swiss Army Knife

Thats it.....

Best. Packing list. EVER.
...and $100 in $2 bills.

...and $100 in $2 bills.
The Bureau of Printing and Engraving actually packages them nicely $200 at a time at the Western Currency Facility in Fort Worth (the only place that prints them now):

%24%28KGrHqF,!lEFBKFgBN-LBQkb9heBy!~~60_35.JPG
These are so handy where I live - the peak fare on the local transit is $2.25 - so a $2 plus a quarter and I can board the bus faster than the people with $1 bills or coins (when I forgot my rfid card). And run out of quarters so much slower.

Actually, the $2 is so convenient that often I pay $2 for the $1.75 off-peak fare because fumbling for quarters just aint worth it.

Here are some ideas that I bet even intrepid AU travelers may not have thought of.

Rubber chickens, ostrich heads ease China's rough ride home (3:39)
Feb. 7 - Millions of Chinese are heading home for the holidays, and social media is abuzz with wacky inventions that promise to make the grueling journey more comfortable. Jane Lee puts a few to the test.
http://www.reuters.com/resources_v2/flash/video_embed.swf?videoId=240977681&edition=BETAUS' id='rcomVideo_240977681

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back