Young Train Newbie

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
K

Kushina

Hi, i really just ask for some advice or any details someone can give me about Amtrak. I am almost 17 and the only train ive been on is Metro North to NYC with friends. However, i am planning a trip to see my boyfriend and friends who are located in NY. I will have to go on my own and that makes me rather nervous. It seems that my travle path would be New Haven, CT > Penn Station in NYC ,then a 6 hour wait, then Penn Station > Syracuse, NY. The 6 hour wait from 2 to 7 am in the middle of NYC is what scares me. Like i said i have never travled on my own.

Is there anything that i should know?

How is Penn Station, could i just stay there for the 6 hour wait?

Is there some kind of food court that will be open around 5 am so i can grab something to eat?

How many bags can i bring?

Kushina,

Have you already booked this trip? Because if you haven't, then you need to look at things more carefully. There are other trains to Syracuse that won't require you to spend the night in the train station. For example, you could book train #93 out of New Haven at 12:11 PM and then train #49 out of NY at 3:45 PM and arrive into Syracuse at 9:41 PM. Or you could book train #141 at 7:38 AM out of New Haven, connect to train #281 at 10:15 AM and arrive into Syracuse at 3:53 PM.

And there are other possibilities too that area available from Amtrak. Also, if you don't mind self transferring, you could just ride an early morning Metro North train to Grand Central, and then use a cab, or bus, or subway to get to Penn Station.

If you are already booked and cannot change things, then there is a waiting room where you can sit down and wait and be safe. You should still keep an eye on your bags and such, but in general you'll be perfectly safe. There will be plenty of places open early in the morning where you can get something to eat and a cup of coffee.

You are allowed 2 carry-on bags, plus your purse and a bag for a laptop computer if you're bringing one.

Hi Kushina. I think AlanB is the prime authority on travel around NYC. When I look at the schedule, it appears there are several options that all include Amtrak. Some prices may be higher than what you want to pay, though. For example, you point to taking train 67 at midnight and then the 5 hour wait in NYP and arrival in Syracuse just after noon. If you want to travel in the daylight (and yes, pay a bit more AND get to your BF's a bit later), you can take train 141 which leaves at 7:30 AM and gets you to Syracuse by 4 PM. There are two other trains that make connections but arrive at 6:45 or 9:45 in the evening. Probably don't want to get there that late.

The alternative is a bus combination, but the train is nice. :)

Another option you could do would be either 490 or 470 to SPG and then the 449 to SYR. The 470/449 combination shows up as the cheapest one, too, only $51 instead of $80. The 449 also has more comfortable seats than other trains because it's going to CHI.

... But doesn't arrive until 9:45 pm!
And if you want to maximize more comfortable seats or even spring for a roomette (for a hefty price possibly) you might as well transfer to 49 at New York instead of schleping up all the way to Springfield, and also enjoy the Hudson River Valley scenery in the process. But as was stated earlier catching the earlier Niagara Falls train would probably be the best.

... But doesn't arrive until 9:45 pm!
That's not too late. I would take the 470/449.
Yes it is too late, if you take into consideration this from http://www.amtrakdel...i-bin/train.cgi

"Average delay is 59 minutes" (49 into SYR for the last 30 days)...
I don't know how to use your website, and I think that even with 59 minutes of delay, it's still not too late. For me, too late is post-11:00P. Just my opinion. The OP can decide for herself.

Speaking as a former 17-year old girl and someone who used to travel long distances to visit her boyfriend, anything after "as soon as possible" is "too late". ;) I used to plan trips to leave as soon as possible so I got there as early as possible, no matter how horrible the transfer. If I got out of work at 5:00, I looked for a plane/train at 6:00, 7:00, etc. I never, ever, ever wanted to wait until the next day. Every single hour is precious when you're dating someone long-distance.

And speaking as a non-former 17 year old girl, if I'm going somewhere to meet someone, I'd choose an earlier train also. 10 or 11 pm may not seem late to you, but if you only have a few days with someone, arriving that late means 1 of those few days is shot!
rolleyes.gif

Speaking as a former 17-year old girl and someone who used to travel long distances to visit her boyfriend, anything after "as soon as possible" is "too late". ;) I used to plan trips to leave as soon as possible so I got there as early as possible, no matter how horrible the transfer. If I got out of work at 5:00, I looked for a plane/train at 6:00, 7:00, etc. I never, ever, ever wanted to wait until the next day. Every single hour is precious when you're dating someone long-distance.
I, too, am a former 17 year old girl (more former than Sorcha :lol: ). When I was around 19, I traveled by train from Gainesville, FL to visit a boyfriend in Fayetteville, NC. My train did not arrive until around midnight and I recall wishing that there were other options to allow me to arrive earlier (there were no earlier trains :( ).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back