Yosemite to San Francisco Airport

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
A

atraff

Hello Everyone,

My husband and I will be travelling from Chicago to San Francisco via the California Zephyr in July and we'll be taking staying in the Fisherman's Wharf area while in San Francisco. From there we'll be taking a bus to a train that will take us to Yosemite. We're wondering what's the best way to return to the San Francisco area to fly back to New York. We're open to flying out of SFO or OAK. Should we return to Fisherman's Wharf via the thruway bus and then get a taxi from there to the airport? How long would the taxi take from that area? How much would it cost? Sorry for all of the questions. We're trying to minimize the amount of trains/buses we'll need to take on our journey out of the area. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance!

Yosemite is in middle of nowhere for the airport. You'll have more selections: LAX, BUR (Burbank), OAK, and SFO.

The train that you will be using is San Joaquin.

Both OAK and SFO can be access by BART. SFO has a BART platform. For OAK, use airBART bus between Coliseum/OAK airport station and the airport. The Amtrak station is Richmond and the BART station is right next door.

As for LAX, you'll have to ride Ambus from Bakersfield to LAUS. Then you'll hop on FlyAway bus to one of LAX terminals of your choice.

For BUR, there's an Ambus from Bakersfield to Burbank Amtrak/Metrolink station which is right next door to the Burbank airport. Burbank airport is very unique to others.

There's an airport in Fresno, but the connection is almost nil.

As for Sacramento, I have no knowledge about the connection between the station and airport despite one train trip a day for San Joaquin.

Last edited by a moderator:
We're wondering what's the best way to return to the San Francisco area to fly back to New York.
I'll second what gswager just said.

If it were me, I'd leave Yosemite on the same bus I used to get there, then return to the Bay Area on the same train (San Joaquin Train). I would leave the train at Richmond for a direct transfer to BART, which goes directly to SFO. You may have to change trains within the BART system, but that should be no problem. Fare is paid on entry, and checked on exit so transfers within a BART station are invisible to the system.

We're wondering what's the best way to return to the San Francisco area to fly back to New York.
I'll second what gswager just said.

If it were me, I'd leave Yosemite on the same bus I used to get there, then return to the Bay Area on the same train (San Joaquin Train). I would leave the train at Richmond for a direct transfer to BART, which goes directly to SFO. You may have to change trains within the BART system, but that should be no problem. Fare is paid on entry, and checked on exit so transfers within a BART station are invisible to the system.
I believe the earliest departure from YOS is 10am, for a transfer to 713 and arriving in RIC at 3:44. Add 90 minutes for BART from RIC to SFO. The earliest plausible flight departure might not be until around 7pm, if you want to leave on the same day.

Thank you all for your suggestions!

SanJoaquinRider,

We do want to leave the same day or very early the next day. We were thinking about leaving YOS a bit later. I believe that there's a 4pm thruway bus that connects to the San Joaquin train at 6:42pm. The train gets into Richmond at 9.22pm. The BART website shows a 9:34pm train that gets into SFO at 10:45pm. The latest non-stop flight that I can find is at 11:25pm. Is that cutting things a bit too close? I think I already know the answer to that question! There is a flight with one stop that leaves SFO at 12:25am. Is that still too close?

How reasonable is it to take a taxi (cost/time-wise) from Richmond or Emeryville to SFO?

Thanks again!

How reasonable is it to take a taxi (cost/time-wise) from Richmond or Emeryville to SFO?
This is just a guess...$60-$80 cab fare and 40 minutes driving time from RIC to SFO, $40-$60 and 30 minutes from EMY to SFO. It's been a while since I've taken a taxi in the bay area so someone else may have a better estimate.

This is just a guess...$60-$80 cab fare and 40 minutes driving time from RIC to SFO, $40-$60 and 30 minutes from EMY to SFO. It's been a while since I've taken a taxi in the bay area so someone else may have a better estimate.
Depending upon traffic, the taxi might not be faster than BART, particularly to SFO. There can be monumental traffic jams on the Bay Bridge and approaches, and not always just at rush hours.

While the San Joquin trains have an on-time record most of the Amtrak system can only dream about, things do happen. Fior example, a couple of the Amtrak California trains were severely delayed recently by suicides in the Berkley area. Therefore, a straight train to plane connection could be a bad idea if you have use it or lose it plane tickets.

Fresno - Yosemite airport (FAT) has pretty good service to the major airline hubs. Heading to New York, United has a connection through Denver that leaves FAT at 1:59pm and gets to LGA at 11:34pm. Cost one-way is about $250. You can get a similar connection to EWR for $225.

Going to the Bay Area or LA via bus and Amtrak will take time, require airport transportation, and will leave you with the choice of a red-eye or an overnight stay to catch a flight the next morning. Leaving from Yosemite, there is no reason to head all the way back to SFO if your primary reason is to get home. Check out flights from FAT.

It's not a one seat ride from Richmond to SFO. SFO trains come in from the Pittsburg-Baypoint line. Also around 8 PM all Richmond trains head to Fremont requiring a change of trains at MacArthur to an SFO bound train.

Personally, I wouldn't fly out of FAT as the frequency of flights isn't great. I'd opt for any of the Bay Area airports or Sacramento (SMF) if going to anywhere in NYC. JetBlue has a non-stop red eye from SMF. I use it a lot to head back east. From the Sacramento Amtrak Station just walk to the corner of 5th and L Streets and take a Yolobus 42B which makes the airport the next stop. Costs $1.75/person and runs once an hour with the last run leaving just after 10 PM.

..Personally, I wouldn't fly out of FAT as the frequency of flights isn't great.
Who really cares how many flights there are as long as there is one that works for schedule and fare? I have used MRY when there was only one flight a day that worked for me, but that one flight worked perfectly and made the trek back to SJC or SFO a waste of time and money. I did not eliminate MRY from consideration just because there are more flights at SJC.

My point is simply this. Why would you pass by a local airport to go 100 miles or more to a big airport if the local airport can get you where you want to go at a fare you are willing to pay? If things don't work for FAT, then by all means go to SMF, OAK or SFO. But, if FAT does work, then you just saved yourself a lot of travel and aggravation.

Just to add to the confusion, you could go to San Jose and leave from SJC, although the flight selection there isn't as wide as at SFO.

Personally, I wouldn't rely on making a same-day flight. Any hiccup along your path could be catastrophic. Particularly, if you want to leave Yosemite later, it would be better to take a hotel room and an early flight.

Best options I can think of for your preferred departure airport. Substitute YOV for your preferred departure point from Yosemite. (YOV is the NPS visitor center.) I've listed the first (best) connection option followed by the next one in case you miss the first one. Click the link in each result to view the Google Transit directions for taking public transit. All public transit departure and arrival times including walking to the first bus/train stop (if applicable) and from the last bus/train stop to the airport terminal (if applicable). See Google Transit results for details.

SFO (San Francisco International Airport)

Option 1: Amtrak YOV-RIC

Richmond Station (RIC) to SFO airport by BART

Depart YOV 3:50pm, arrive RIC 9:22pm

Depart Richmond Station 9:34pm or 9:49pm, arrive SFO 11:00pm or 11:15pm

Option 2: Amtrak YOV-SFF

San Francisco Financial District (SFF) to SFO by BART

Depart YOV 3:50pm, arrive SFF 10:10pm

Depart San Francisco Financial District 10:22pm or 10:37pm, arrive SFO 11:15pm or 11:30pm

Option 3: Amtrak YOV-SFS

San Francisco Shopping Centre (SFS) to SFO by BART

Depart YOV 3:50 pm, arrive SFS 10:20pm

Depart San Francisco Shopping Centre 10:26pm or 10:41pm, arrive SFO 11:15pm or 11:30pm

(almost the same as to SFF, since the bus stops are steps away from the BART stations; just a different option; I think SFF is a better bet for the earlier connection, though)

OAK (Oakland International Airport)

Amtrak YOV-RIC

Richmond Station to OAK by BART/shuttle

Depart YOV 3:50pm, arrive RIC 9:22pm

Depart Richmond Station 9:34pm or 9:49 pm, arrive OAK 10:45pm or 10:55pm

SJC (San Jose International Airport)

Amtrak YOV-SJC

SJC (Amtrak) to SJC by Caltrain/VTA

Depart YOV 3:50pm, arrive SJC (Amtrak) 9:45pm

Depart San Jose Amtrak 10:26pm or 10:30pm, arrive SJC 11:02pm or 11:24pm, depending on connections and routing (Caltrain option is faster)

SMF (Sacramento International Airport)

Amtrak YOV-SAC

Sacramento Amtrak (SAC) to SMF via Yolobus

Depart YOV 3:50pm, arrive SAC 8:55pm

Depart Sacramento Amtrak 9:00pm or 10:00pm (7 minutes' walk to catch bus departing at 9:08pm or 10:08pm), arrive SMF 9:26pm or 10:26pm

FAT (Fresno Yosemite International Airport)

Amtrak YOV-FNO

Amtrak Fresno (FNO) to FAT via Fresno Area Express

Depart YOV 3:50pm, arrive FNO 8:02pm

Depart Fresno Amtrak 8:07pm or 8:37pm, arrive FAT 8:43pm or 9:13pm

Hope this helps!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back