Yield Management?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

niemi24s

Engineer
Over the past few days 260+ searches for Family Bedrooms on the SL in both directions has turned up nothing except low bucket fares ($802). When available, it's always $802. Never anything else! Even at the latest possible dates in the first week of August, 2022.

Q: Is this based on yield managements notion that family train travel between NOL and LAX is passé?

My experience with the SL on numerous sleeper trips to El Paso from NOL is that it's not nearly as full as other trains and so it is often a good deal financially vs other trips albeit the scenery is not as nice, the places to see not as good, etc. I'd much rather go into ABQ to visit NM but the prices can't be beat.

My experience with the SL on numerous sleeper trips to El Paso from NOL is that it's not nearly as full as other trains and so it is often a good deal financially vs other trips albeit the scenery is not as nice, the places to see not as good, etc. I'd much rather go into ABQ to visit NM but the prices can't be beat.
Really? Every time I have looked up dates on the SL they've been pretty full (and selling out on departure date). TO be fair, I haven't checked too recently. Doing so now.

1630713613395.png

Now I am very confused, as on the bucket chart I am seeing, 89$ nor 802$ are buckets on the SL...

The bucket chart you're looking at is no doubt outdated as I've not yet completed or posted one with the current fares for Family Bedrooms and Bedrooms.

And I can't explain that $89 Saver fare you show, above. The current Saver fare - the one offered some months out - is $142 and is the low bucket Coach fare ($177) discounted by 20%. That one's discounted by 50%! Either that or there's a sale going on.

My last three trips on the SL (2018, 2019 and most recently, this past August 18) bedrooms have been sold out; didn't note Roomette status although occupancy appeared pretty high. On our trip several weeks ago, the family room was booked. These three trips were all LAX to NOL or reverse.

The bucket chart you're looking at is no doubt outdated as I've not yet completed or posted one with the current fares for Family Bedrooms and Bedrooms.

And I can't explain that $89 Saver fare you show, above. The current Saver fare - the one offered some months out - is $142 and is the low bucket Coach fare ($177) discounted by 20%. That one's discounted by 50%! Either that or there's a sale going on.
Yes, there's a 50% sale until Sep. 8.

Back