Yet another Texas Eagle Fare Question

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Meat Puppet

Lead Service Attendant
I booked the TE from CHI to Ontario California in late October, roomette upgrade charge was only $216. I was thinking about changing the date but all other dates including well into next year are in the $400-$500 range. Did I happen to stumble upon a really slow date thats why the price is so low?

THanks in advance.

I booked the TE from CHI to Ontario California in late October, roomette upgrade charge was only $216. I was thinking about changing the date but all other dates including well into next year are in the $400-$500 range. Did I happen to stumble upon a really slow date thats why the price is so low?THanks in advance.
Thats exactly it, you found a low bucket day for sleepers! Its that time of year again where folks are following the sun (ie Florida/Arizona/California etc.)!

I ride this train pretty often and the fares from SAS-LAX are usually high due to the demand! No offense, Im retired too, but lots of older :lol: folks travel via train this time of year since there is no hurry for them! Alan calls it leaf peepers, there are no leaves to see crossing the desert :lol: but its still a popular route!

Eastern Airlines (RIP) used to run an a ad in nthe winter that said "When you got it bad, we got it good!" (hated that ad! :lol: ) Thats sort of how it is!

The reverse is not true, I found a $139 roomette on #422 LAX-TEX for several days in Nov. (same fare to SAS,FTW,DAL!Go figure? :blink: )

Last edited by a moderator:
Jim, correct me if I'm wrong (which happens quite often) but my son tells me there is a commission of Texas people who help set fares for the TE within Texas. He has done a lot of work around Austin for his RR, Watco, and comes back from Austin screaming the blues at how antiquated the poweres to be ideas are on railroading.

It's also possible that someone booked a reservation months ago (when the fare was in a lower bucket) and had to cancel. When a room or seat is cancelled, that room or seat goes back into the inventory at the original fare! So it is possible that the OP called or clicked at the right time! :cool: (Once that room or seat is sold, the fare for the next room or seat goes back to the current bucket.)

Example: The last room that was sold was for the current bucket fare of $450. Somebody who booked 6 months ago when the rate was $216 cancels! That room goes back in inventory - and is offered for $216! Once that room is sold, the rate for the next room is the current bucket fare of $450!

Jim, correct me if I'm wrong (which happens quite often) but my son tells me there is a commission of Texas people who help set fares for the TE within Texas. He has done a lot of work around Austin for his RR, Watco, and comes back from Austin screaming the blues at how antiquated the poweres to be ideas are on railroading.
Well there is an agency, the Texas RailRoad Commission, they have to do with matters such as freight rates/local railroads etc. but have nothing to do with Amtrak!(thank goodness! :lol: )They also regulate gas and oil in Texas including pipelines so you can see that its a typical political mess, elected politicians (most are lawyers and political hacks looking to move up) messing with what they can here in Texas! Hope that helps, the name needs to be changed of course, it dates to the 1880s when railroads were controlled by states!

I do think they might something to do with the Heartland Flyer since its funded by Texas (and Oklahoma!), but dont know the details!Hope that helps!

Last edited by a moderator:
It's nothing to do with the State of Texas. The TEMPO group helps manage the Texas Eagle for Amtrak. They are here:

http://www.tempo-rail.org/

It is a private organization and they have their own Texas Eagle web site.

http://www.texaseagle.com/

:)

It's nothing to do with the State of Texas. The TEMPO group helps manage the Texas Eagle for Amtrak. They are here:

http://www.tempo-rail.org/

It is a private organization and they have their own Texas Eagle web site.

http://www.texaseagle.com/
Thanks for the info Henry, I knew this group existed from Chris" posts but had never seen the web site or any info! I hope this helps out anyone who wants to know about the Eagles and the Flyer! Jim :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back