Yesterday on the Texas Eagle

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

stntylr

OBS Chief
Yesterday afternoon I rode the Texas Eagle on a short hop from fort Worth to Dallas. It was part of a bigger trip I'll tell about later.

Before boarding the train the conductors were telling everybody that the train was sold out and they were assigning seats to make sure everyone had a seat. When i gave my ticket to the conductor he seemed surprised that I was only going to Dallas and didn't seem happy I was using a seat for a short trip like that.

On the train there was some confusion at first because someone was in my assigned seat but she was in my seat because someone else was in hers. After a few minuter the conductor came by and got everyone to move and get into their seats. Once the train started to back out an announcement was made explaining how the train was sold out and asking everyone to be patient while the crew made sure everyone was taken care of and families were together. As we were pulling out I decided i didn't like the view from my seat and decided to go to the lounge car to get a better view.

As I passed through the next coach on my way to the lounge I noticed something odd.

The coach was completely empty.

Well, was everyone at the snack bar? waiting for the bathroom?

No, I found out in the lounge that the crew had cleared out the coach because they were expecting a group of 70 people to board in Dallas.

I never found out who they were or where they were going but there was a mob of people on the platform when we got to Dallas.

Interesting. I wish Amtrak would implement assigned seating better. For example, you should be able to choose your seat when you make your reservation. Then, when you get your ticket, it has your seat number on it. That's how the airlines do it. I think that would be an improvement over getting your seats from the conductor, that is an antiquated process IMO.

Interesting. I wish Amtrak would implement assigned seating better. For example, you should be able to choose your seat when you make your reservation. Then, when you get your ticket, it has your seat number on it. That's how the airlines do it. I think that would be an improvement over getting your seats from the conductor, that is an antiquated process IMO.
That would be terrific!
cool.gif

At least 50 or 60 passengers getting on 22 in Dallas is pretty common in the summer months, sometimes more. I've seen 100 get on as well.

I really like being able to choose my own seat when its not too crowded though. You never know when you'll get assigned what you think is a nice window seat and then the seat is right by a pillar. <_<

The few times I rode from DAL-FTW or vicey versy, I have always told the conductor that he is free to punch my ticket, and would he mind if I just sat in the lounge. That would have prevented many folks from unnecessarily being moved around for you to not enjoy your assigned seat. That being said, it was probably a good audit for the crew to make anyway.

Next, they should have let you sit in the coach reserved for the influx of passengers getting on at Dallas since you were getting off there.

When I boarded with about 70 others in Dallas a few weeks ago, it was a MISERABLE experience. It was the better part of 90+ degrees, hot direct sun (they didn't line us up in the limited amount of shade...) and they made people who were travelling together line up in line A (first person towards the back of the train, on the track side of the platform) and people travelling alone line up in line B (on the other edge of the platform). Then, and only after the train arrived with the conductor, tickets were punched and ID checked and people were sent back FORWARD on the train to board depending on their destination.

One lady, saved from making a total mess of the whole process by her calming husband, tried to just get on whatever door she could. People were cutting in line, trying to get on the train before their ticket was punched, etc. Not to mention, there were many family members and railfans on the platform.

Even though I believe in reserved seating, I don't believe in allowing the passengers to choose because of the fluidity of passengers getting on and off. But I do believe in reserved seating with preferences noted and not guaranteed, seats assigned by Amtrak. The passenger would then receive their ticket, noting the car number and seat. The car number should be a logical number, ie: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, where 1 is sleeper 1, sleeper 2, sleeper 3, diner, lounge, coach 1, coach 2, coach 3. No one would have a ticket that said car 4 or 5. Sleeper pax would get cars 1, 2, or 3 and go to the painted stripe on the platform that says "1," "2," or "3". Coach pax would go to the painted mark on the platform that says "6," "7," or "8". Additional lines could be drawn for cars "9," "10," .... if Amtrak decides to add cars to the train.

For stations that have different consists, this gets more complicated, but for places like Dallas and Fort Worth, it'd work pretty well.

I've had conductors tell me to take the TRE instead of Amtrak between Dallas and Fort Worth. I tell them I don't get AGR points on the TRE, and that Amtrak should be happy that I'm increasing their revenue and adding to their pax count.

Of course, according to the law of subsidizing, I cost US taxpayers $44 (or whatever that number is) simply by boarding Amtrak.

Last edited by a moderator:
Same for me Stan, when I make Point Runs I ride in the Lounge! This year, as you know, the Eagles have been running Full but I have noticed that whenever there is a 3rd Coach on the eagles the Last One is usually Closed off when it Leaves SAS and STL! Ive ridden all the way from STL-AUS with a Vacant Coach on the Back and yet the other 2 Coaches are jammed with every Seat filled! Guess it's Easier for the Coach Attendant and Conductors this way but Sure not for the Paying Pax!

The Previous Poster has a Great Point about the way Different Stations Line up the Boarding Coach Pax, Everyone for Himself is a Mess for Sure! At least in Austin you are alllowed to Line up under a Roof and Not have to Wait in the Sun (or Rain if it EVER Rains down here? :help: ) I look Forward to e-ticketing for sure, Punching Tickets is so 1900s! And Some Conductors let the Attendants Pul;l the tickets and Punch them Later which Speeds up Boarding when there is Large Groups Boarding!

...I have noticed that whenever there is a 3rd Coach on the eagles the Last One is usually Closed off when it Leaves SAS and STL! Ive ridden all the way from STL-AUS with a Vacant Coach on the Back and yet the other 2 Coaches are jammed with every Seat filled! Guess it's Easier for the Coach Attendant and Conductors this way but Sure not for the Paying Pax!
I've seen this on The Crescent too. And then, to really make you wonder... despite the 'close quarters' there are two 'gentlemen' who are playing tunes on their cell phones without earphones and the crew turns a blind eye. (ear?) :blink:

Sometimes makes one wonder... :help:

I don't think 'airline-style' preassigned seats are going to come to Amtrak easily or soon, as the current system gives Amtrak and the crew flexibility as needs and situations change. Yet when the crew is seemingly taking advantage of the situation for its own conveinence, it does make me wonder what can be done to improve the pax experience. Maybe the suits and ties on Mass. Ave. need some serious road trips in coach :lol: :lol: :lol:

Even on our local routes the Saluki I have seen oversold business class cars with no where to sit, yet a empty business class car runs right behind it and is the private domain of the conductors? When I once boarded and found the sold out seats in the business car I was directed by the attendant to go to the second car, but the conductors quickly came though and mentioned that the car was "closed". However quickly many more people showed up who held business class tickets with no where to sit. It was quickly obvious that second car was being sold for passenger revenue but someone failed to tell the conductors. After a crush of passengers they relented and allowed use of the second car, at least the front section, while they still held up the rear of the car for their use.

That's what DeutscheBahn does on the ICE for a slight extra fee (I think about 3 euro).

Even on our local routes the Saluki I have seen oversold business class cars with no where to sit, yet a empty business class car runs right behind it and is the private domain of the conductors? When I once boarded and found the sold out seats in the business car I was directed by the attendant to go to the second car, but the conductors quickly came though and mentioned that the car was "closed". However quickly many more people showed up who held business class tickets with no where to sit. It was quickly obvious that second car was being sold for passenger revenue but someone failed to tell the conductors. After a crush of passengers they relented and allowed use of the second car, at least the front section, while they still held up the rear of the car for their use.
Amtrak had put two business class cars on a Saluki? :unsure: Or was the second just a regular coach that got used as BC?

Amtrak had put two business class cars on a Saluki? :unsure: Or was the second just a regular coach that got used as BC?
This also Happened Last Summer on the Surfliner from SBA-SAN Alan! Two Business Class Cars but I Didn't Care as Whooz's Dome was in the Consist so I Snagged a Seat in the Dome, got my Snak-Pak and Drink and Rode in Style Down the Coast! :wub:

This also Happened Last Summer on the Surfliner from SBA-SAN Alan! Two Business Class Cars but I Didn't Care as Whooz's Dome was in the Consist so I Snagged a Seat in the Dome, got my Snak-Pak and Drink and Rode in Style Down the Coast! :wub:
Surfliner doesn't surprise me.

Saluki does.

Alan,

Yes the Saluki had two business class cars on the tail end of the train. They told me it had been running that way for some time since they had to increase the car length of the train to 6-7 cars to satisfy CN signal requirements, I think on crossings. I will have to notice the next time I see it come though if I can detect if it has one or two business class cars still?

Of course, according to the law of subsidizing, I cost US taxpayers $44 (or whatever that number is) simply by boarding Amtrak.
You don't really believe this, do you?

I am sure the $44, if correct, is an average cost, not a marginal cost. What this means is that over some time period Amtrak experience some type of total cost. During that same period, a certain number of passenger used Amtrak. Divide the first number by the second you get 44.

So, by boarding the train, you actually reduced this number by a tiny amount.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back