Yankees and Orioles Trains Bussituted to New York from Aberdeen

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

SubwayNut

Conductor
Late last night (early this morning) after the ALDS game between in Baltimore between the O's and New York Yankees both teams were taking what seems to have become basically the common place procedure for baseball teams on the NEC (recently I know the Yankees took the train down to start the series, and Boston took the Amtrak to New York for its end of season), from MLB.com:

If you thought the close proximity of Baltimore and New York would eliminate any travel issues for the American League Division Series, think again.Both the Yankees and Orioles kept their cool on Tuesday morning when the Yankees' train from Baltimore to New York had electrical difficulties, forcing the teams to board buses back to New York. The train the Yankees were traveling on coasted into Aberdeen, Md. -- coincidentally home to an Orioles' short-season club -- and the Yankees' team buses were driving along the same route.
According to Baltimore manager Buck Showalter, the Orioles' train was unable to continue to New York as a result of the difficulties New York's train experienced farther up the track, and Baltimore was also forced to finish the trip by bus.

The Yankees made it back to New York City around 6 a.m. -- Showalter said the Orioles didn't arrive at their hotel until 9 a.m. -- but despite the high-pressure time, they took everything in stride
"Yanks' train loses power, delays O's as well: Workouts canceled as clubs arrive to New York late," By Evan Drellich and Adam Rosenbloom (Full Article on MLB.com)
The other thing that I find amusing is the article, currently on the home page of MLB.com, (it will be gone soon, can't figure out a way to permalink to it) is the headline for it has a Picture of Derek Jeter next to an Amtrak California Diesel Locomotive that wouldn't fit on the low profile clearances of the NEC. Could MLB.com have at least used a regular Diesel Genesis. I assume it was an AEM7 or HHP-8 that failed.

Also the teams both canceled their workouts in New York today because they arrived in New York so late. Game 3 is tomorrow night. Add these highly paid ballplayers to the category like many of us who have had Amtrak mess up plans of ours.

Anyone know what happened? I wonder if this will make teams think twice about taking the train.

Can we make this in to a charter train thread? seems like a good place to start the conversations.

Does Amtrak offer charter service like airlines?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back