WTH: "discontinuation of select amenities on the Coast Starlight,

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the email I received a few short hours ago:

SUBJ: Important Amtrak Alert (Reservation number XXXXX / XXXXX XXXXX)

Dear Amtrak Sleeping Car Passenger,

In an effort to be good stewards of the federal funding received to operate our Amtrak service, a number of steps are being taken to eliminate losses in our Food and Beverage department over the next five years. Some of the changes being made to accomplish this include the discontinuation of select amenities on the Coast Starlight,Empire Builder, and Lake Shore Limited.

On or about March 31, 2014, the pre-departure refreshments and on-board wine and cheese tastings for Sleeping car passengers will no longer be offered on the Coast Starlight, Empire Builder, or Lake Shore Limited. Additionally, the complimentary sparkling wine, non-alcoholic cider, and chocolate squares will no longer be provided to Sleeping car passengers on the Empire Builder and the Coast Starlight. Sleeping car passengers will continue to receive all regular meals in the Dining car at no additional charge, and passengers may purchase cheese and cracker trays and other snacks, as well as liquor, wine and beer, in the Lounge car on all long- distance trains.

On approximately May 31, 2014, complimentary amenity kits will no longer be provided to sleeping car passengers on the Empire Builder and the Coast Starlight. Your Sleeping car attendant will continue to have select emergency toiletries on hand when needed.

While it is never easy to tell you, our valued customers, that we are eliminating some amenities, these changes are necessary in order to reduce costs, increase revenues and preserve passenger rail service across our country. If you have any questions or comments about these changes, feel free to contact me using the “contact us” link on the Amtrak.com home page.

Thank you for traveling with Amtrak. We appreciate your patronage.

Sincerely,

Mark Murphy

General Manager, Long -Distance Services
They are going to remove everything that makes train travel special one amenity at a time.

ARG!

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for the link.. I didn't see it on the front page. (I'm new-ish here) :unsure:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back