Wrong Fares on Web Site

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
J

Joanna

I see there are a lot of problems with the incorrect rates for reservations and that members have suggested calling to make your reservation, and you will get the correct price. But I hate to make reservations that way. If I do it online (knowing the rate is wrong) how easy would it be to get it corrected? (I realize I'd have to call to do that, but that would still be easier than going through the whole reservation process on the phone.)

Honestly, it's probably much easier to make your reservation over the phone. You'd have less chance of someone not knowing how to refund you properly, and you wouldn't have to wait for the charge to be corrected with your bank. It's so much easier to avoid a problem than try to have it corrected.

I made a reservation a few days ago, and it took five minutes, tops. And that's only because I had a couple of questions regarding holding rooms.

The problem involves booking sleeper reservations for more than one person. If you are not booking a sleeper, or you're booking for one person only, then you should be OK. If you are booking a sleeper for more than one person, you could run into this pricing bug. However, there is a way to check to see if you are getting the correct fare.

First, start the booking, but for just one person. Select your train and your desired room type. Put the selection in your "cart."

The cart will show two costs: one for the "Adult" rail fare, and a second for the room. Note the price of the room.

Hit the back button at the bottom of the page, and then change the number of passengers to 2. Select the train and your desired room again. Put your selection in the cart.

Once again you will see two prices. If the room price in the cart for two passengers is the same as the room price for one passenger, then the price is correct. You can just go ahead and book on-line. If the room price for two is higher than it was for one, that is an error. You should then call and make the reservation by phone.

I also prefer making reservations on-line. Reservations made by phone do not show up either on-line or on the smart phone apps.

Last edited by a moderator:
To give an Amtrak answer - maybe yes, maybe no!

If you do know the rate is wrong and you do make the reservation on line, you will have to pay for it at that time. Then you would have to call an agent, and they may either issue you a credit to your card, or a voucher. If they offer you a credit to your card, it may or may not be processed until after your closing date. (Say you make your reservation on the 8th with your closing date on the 9th. There is always a chance that your statement may not show the credit - and must pay the higher fare and get the refund the following month.) even if you do, you would still have to wait for an agent, explain the situation, and then give him/her your reservation number so they can look up your reservation.

Myself personally, if that was the case (a higher fare), I would just make the entire reservation with an agent from the start.

It is absurd that Amtrak hasn't fixed this bug yet. I know things were crazy with the PRIIA deadlines and the government shutdown and all, but this really really ought to be priority #1.

Until they give you the ability to choose available rooms online, I'll always make reservations with an agent. So I am doubly unaffected by this bug, I usually travel alone, and I make reservations with an agent anyway (although I check prices online).

Still, a pricing bug is one you'd think they'd get fixed in a big hurry.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back