WOW! what happend to EB Cap limited on 9/13?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

amtrakmichigan

Lead Service Attendant
Just currious if anyone may know why #30 is EXTREMLY late on 9/13 into both South bend and Toledo? What is left over from "Ike" is affecting Michigan and Indiana with flooding. Is this due to road bed flooding?

#30 9/13/08 departed CHI 2 hours 2 minutes late

departed SB 11 hours 49 minutes late

it's not supposed to arrive into TOL until after 12 noon EDT...12+ hours late !

EB Lake shore shows a service disruption into TOL

Last edited by a moderator:
Just currious if anyone may know why #30 is EXTREMLY late on 9/13 into both South bend and Toledo? What is left over from "Ike" is affecting Michigan and Indiana with flooding. Is this due to road bed flooding?

#30 9/13/08 departed CHI 2 hours 2 minutes late

departed SB 11 hours 49 minutes late

it's not supposed to arrive into TOL until after 12 noon EDT...12+ hours late !

EB Lake shore shows a service disruption into TOL
Something's definitely going on between CHI and SB; I was on the southbound Crescent leaving DC this past Friday (9/12), which normally departs at 6:30 PM. We held, however, to wait for a VERY late Capitol Limited (30/11), which arrived around 6:45, over 5 1/2 hours late. In checking out the history for that train, it left Chicago on time, but left South Bend about 4 hours late, I think (and just kept losing time down the road). Very odd.

Rafi

Last edited by a moderator:
I live in Metro Detroit and we were getting quite a bit of "ike" late sat. night (9/13) and as I speak right now. I see that the National Weather service has issued flash flood warnings in NE Illinois (including Chicagoland) and NW Indiana. Whatever is causing the problem most be weather related. I now see both lake shores are in a "service disruption" and the last train yesterday from DET to CHI was over 8 hours late.

I live in Canton, OH- so the Capitol is my only way out lol-

Last time I was on her (last week, the 7th) we really got mauled down by NS before and after SOB. We managed to make up a good big of time between Toledo and Alliance, but still were wellllll over an hour late. About 10 minutes out of ALC, the 29 whizzed by- It was well past four in the morning and she was starting to hit the four hour late mark before heading west of Ohio- I made it a point to see how late they were to CHI but I forgot...

Lake Shore Limited 48(13) departed South Bend around 11 or so the next morning.

I know because I saw it pass as I was sitting on 29(13), waiting to pull into South Bend.

When I get around to it, I'll post a brief report on what happened.

Long story short: 29 and 49 were combined at Elkhart, made it to Porter, IN, and were annulled there. Passengers put on buses from there to Chicago. I got to Union Station at about 7 pm.

Lake Shore Limited 48(13) departed South Bend around 11 or so the next morning.
I know because I saw it pass as I was sitting on 29(13), waiting to pull into South Bend.

When I get around to it, I'll post a brief report on what happened.

Long story short: 29 and 49 were combined at Elkhart, made it to Porter, IN, and were annulled there. Passengers put on buses from there to Chicago. I got to Union Station at about 7 pm.
That seems to happen more and more- based on my observations, the Capitol Limited is the more reliable of the two equip. wise... especially when they run it with a third unit.

It's also reliable because there's usually no people riding so less weight to pull :p

The trains were annulled because the railroad was shut down. Tracks were washed out west of Porter. It was not an equipment problem (other than defective waterskis on the locomotives).

The Chicago area issues continued on 9/14... I had tickets for the SW Chief from Chicago to KC. Due to the tracks flooding, we were bussed to KC instead.... not exactly fun, but at least Amtrak got us home (it was more than what the airlines would have done!)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back