Worst EB SA ever

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Can you please explain how he pad locked the room door. What kind of lock ? I just want to try and understand what sort of mechanism he had to do this. It always looked to me like it would be very hard to fit any kind of lock on the door from the outside.

Has anyone else been able to do this . Just curious about the physical application of the lock.
http://img69.imageshack.us/img69/5652/lockzk.jpg

Based on my recent travels, it seems that it is still standard policy to keep ice and juice out for the passengers near the stairwell. This is what I prefer. By standard policy I mean what seems to happen the most, not what is necesarily policy on paper.

Can you please explain how he pad locked the room door. What kind of lock ? I just want to try and understand what sort of mechanism he had to do this. It always looked to me like it would be very hard to fit any kind of lock on the door from the outside.

Has anyone else been able to do this . Just curious about the physical application of the lock.
http://img69.imagesh...5652/lockzk.jpg
Thanks, Meat puppet. Its an odd setup but it works. I wonder what kind of stuff it would kick up if you made one and used it yourself ?

Thanks, Meat puppet. Its an odd setup but it works. I wonder what kind of stuff it would kick up if you made one and used it yourself ?

Excellent question, anybody know? If I had to guess, I 'd say the conductor would object as the crew no longer had access, if nothing else, than for emergeincies. It wouldn't suprise me in the least that there is an FRA reg forbiding it.

Excellent question, anybody know? If I had to guess, I 'd say the conductor would object as the crew no longer had access, if nothing else, than for emergeincies. It wouldn't suprise me in the least that there is an FRA reg forbiding it.
I'm quite interested to know now too! Might be the downfall of the original door latches on those Superliner I cars?

So I am on the EB west and this guy has attitude from the start. Ice, Juice, Cups are all in his stash and you have to notify him you need them. Everytime he leaves the train he padlocks his room even for 10 minutes. At night the room is padlocked and he sleeps in the A bedroom. Last night I was in the lounge until 11 and he made up my bed at 10:30 without even mentioning it to me. Wine tasting announcement over the intercom was this is a wine tasting not a wine drinking, if you are expecting a cocktail please dont attend. Then to top it off he notices I have an aircard for wireless internet so he asked me what time I am getting up because he needs to use his ipad to check email..??? ***
Just playing devils advocate here-I see some things, that might be bothersome, but a whole lot that isn't....

1. Locked up ice and juice-The juice is normally out, sure, but ice is normally put away-They are not supposed to leave it out, for you to grab when ever, due to sanitary issues-Want ice? Ask for ice. (Cups and juice should probably be out though...)

2. Padlocked room.....so? Hell, I'd lock MY room when I was gone if I could. Maybe he's had a bad experience, and had something disapear? No reason why he shouldn't lock his stuff up if he so desires.

3. Sleeping in the A room. So? How does that affect your trip in the least?

4. You were in the lounge until 11, and came back to find the bed made up? Ok....Most here would complain loudly if it WEREN'T made up.....Again, sounds like SOP to me.

5. Wine announcement-What's the issue with that? I've seen peope show up to those things, expecting a boozefest. Sounds to me like he's just preparing those who expect more, to have realistic expectations about what this is...

6. They still make air cards? Wow, who knew, kinda thought the world all went to the iphone/Droid hotspot route 4 years ago? in any event, was he simply making a joke? Might have been playing with you trying to make conversation. I can't imagine he really travels like that without having a way to check his email on his own, without having to connect to an aircard.

All in all, I wasn't there-But, a whole lot of what you're complaining about is seemingly stuff that a good SCA usually does. Have some fun with his passengers, make up the beds while people are out, follow the rules regarding ice, etc.....Doesn't sound like the worst SCA ever. Sounds like he did ok to me. Anything there really worth complaining about?
1. Locked up ice & juice in the day so no one can find it I dont get.

3. As far as sleeping in the A room I dont care where he sleeps just how about letting someone know so we can find him to open Fort Knox and get ice & juice.

4. I was in the lounge til 11, he never asked what time I want my bed down or even tried to find me. Some of us stay up late so I had to undo my bed.

5. Wine announcement was just unprofessional. i bet the people dropping a grand or two on the first class trip loved it.

6. I use my aircard with a large external antenna because I actually work from the train and need a dependable signal. The people with Iphones and Droids in the lounge loved the middle of Montana with no signal I guess they couldnt email their grandkids. He wasn't making a joke about asking to use it, he was the most stoic, miserable attendant ever. Time to get out of the business.

You actually sound like you are this attendant.
Sorry, not me, I don't work for Amtrak in any capacity, and I typically spend my RR Retirement hours on the pointy end of the train. I just can't see anything here worth complaining about. But call 1-800-USA-RAIL and get your AGR points or whatever they throw you if it makes you happy. Like I said, I wasn't there, so maybe I'm missing it, but I just don't see anything in your post, that's a big deal. Personally I don't drink that "juice" they put out in the hall, I could care less where the SCA is day or night and cant imagine why I would use the call button anyway, and somewhat expect my bed made when I come back from the lounge at 11 PM, and appreciate a bit of sarcastic humor in the PA announcements. Your expectations vary from my (admittedly low) expectations of Amtrak travel. That's cool. Sorry you were inconvenienced and I hope you get whatever recompence or response you're looking for. It appears you had a less then expected experience, therefore if it's important to you, you should let Amtrak know what the issue was, and how you think it could be improved.

Last edited by a moderator:
I see nothing at all to complain about! The ice (per health regulations) is not to be left out for passengers to put their grimy hands all over. (Not every one uses the scoop! :eek: ) As far as locking the room, why not? I bet you lock your house door at home. Room 1 is the attendant's home. And so they slept in room A, so what? :blush: Did you rent room A? So what are you complaining about?
The attendants room is where they belong as it's the only one with the panel that lights up to let them know which room is calling them. hogging a revenue room is against the rules plus they can't see the call panel from there. They are assigned a room for a reason. it's not a normal room.
Most room #1 no longer have the lights. They are being done away with as the cars gradually get renovated, and the call bell chimes throughout the car. Any attendant who leaves the ice out is risking their job and YOUR HEALTH. Crew members are entitled to a few hours sleep...if you did not communicate with your TA-S what time you wanted your bed put down, then either (a) it will be put down at a time you didn't choose, or (b) you will have to put it down ýourself...unless you want to wait until 9 a.m. for coffee. If your bed hadn't been put down and you had said you wanted it done, then you'd have a reason to complain.

STILL if they stayed in their room and not steal a revenue room then try and block the sale(which is theft of services BTW) there wouldn't need to be a pad lock on the door. You shouldn't have to chase down the attendant who is not in their assigned room when you need something., Yes they are entitled to sleep but that is not what we are talking about.

If I had been a new

I see nothing at all to complain about! The ice (per health regulations) is not to be left out for passengers to put their grimy hands all over. (Not every one uses the scoop! :eek: ) As far as locking the room, why not? I bet you lock your house door at home. Room 1 is the attendant's home. And so they slept in room A, so what? :blush: Did you rent room A? So what are you complaining about?
The attendants room is where they belong as it's the only one with the panel that lights up to let them know which room is calling them. hogging a revenue room is against the rules plus they can't see the call panel from there. They are assigned a room for a reason. it's not a normal room.
Most room #1 no longer have the lights. They are being done away with as the cars gradually get renovated, and the call bell chimes throughout the car. Any attendant who leaves the ice out is risking their job and YOUR HEALTH. Crew members are entitled to a few hours sleep...if you did not communicate with your TA-S what time you wanted your bed put down, then either (a) it will be put down at a time you didn't choose, or (b) you will have to put it down ýourself...unless you want to wait until 9 a.m. for coffee. If your bed hadn't been put down and you had said you wanted it done, then you'd have a reason to complain.
If I had been a new passenger I wouldnt have even known that the SA put down the bed. I wasnt even asked. I had no welcome, greeting or anything upon boarding. May I also add I overheard this attendant telling the new SA that "unless the passengers ask for the champagne don't offer it because it makes great stocking stuffers for your friends at this time of year". Yes it is Charles and its time for him to retire. His pitiful example of first class customer service is the worst I have ever seen. What a lazy, I hate my job, I hate the customers attitude he has. Lazy Lazy Lazy!!! Lets see how much I can do nothing on the clock and get away with i

People like this must be terminated, the first time riders that I met in the diner even commented about his attitude. Get rid of this dead weight, free riding thieves and lets get back the class in Amtrak.

Imagine if a first class airline attendant or cruise ship attendant or even a FC acela attendant told a passenger that they might have to use their aircard to connect to the internet. People like this are

ruining the experience of amtrak for first time riders.

its a basic aluminum t with a hole for a lock drilled on the top of the single t.....Then there is an L bracket with a slot cut for the top of the first t with the hole drilled to slide through. They lower ends are folded(but not necessary) just to give it more strenght . The only door stop is the one end of the l bracket. Pretty basic and it wont leave marks on the door when removed. I really down see how a door locked this way would violate any room that is locked from the inside. I am going to C&C cut a few tonight and do some testing. If they work I will sell to my AU friends for the price of materials.

If I had been a new passenger I wouldnt have even known that the SA put down the bed. I wasnt even asked. I had no welcome, greeting or anything upon boarding. May I also add I overheard this attendant telling the new SA that "unless the passengers ask for the champagne don't offer it because it makes great stocking stuffers for your friends at this time of year". Yes it is Charles and its time for him to retire. His pitiful example of first class customer service is the worst I have ever seen. What a lazy, I hate my job, I hate the customers attitude he has. Lazy Lazy Lazy!!! Lets see how much I can do nothing on the clock and get away with i

People like this must be terminated, the first time riders that I met in the diner even commented about his attitude. Get rid of this dead weight, free riding thieves and lets get back the class in Amtrak.

Imagine if a first class airline attendant or cruise ship attendant or even a FC acela attendant told a passenger that they might have to use their aircard to connect to the internet. People like this are

Well, what a coincidence. I was on the Portland sleeper last month, and was lucky enough to get Charles as my sleeping car attendant.

Both my wife and I though he was a great SCA. We had our beds put down when we wanted them at night. We had our beds put up while we were at breakfast. We got ice when we wanted, and Montana is a long and thirsty ride. Heck, when we boarded in Portland he immediately stopped by with ice and the little bottles of champagne. I never had trouble getting coffee or water, and he even had cranberry juice, which most sleeping cars lacked on that trip

At the end of the journey he made sure we woke in plenty of time for our 1:30 a.m. arrival, and offered to carry our bags.

Since Charles did well everything that we expect a SCA to do, and didn't bother us otherwise, we gave him a much larger tip than usual, and sent a letter commending him to Amtrak.

I cannot imagine why our perception of Charles is so different from yours.

More than one Charles?
Must be. I was on the east bound Portland sleeper last month,with another AU member.[ That A U member talked about it in the trip report. ] We were astonished at the lay out in roomette # 1 The entire room was layed out with snacks, magazines, games ect. Coffee, juice, water ect. The list goes on. Never seen anything like this layout in 30 years of Amtrak travel.

We were in the H room. Our every need was taken care of. All our meals bruoght to us. { And its a long walk from car 2830 to and from the diner. ] Charles was always checking on us to see if we needed anything. He was very pleasant and we had some interesting talks. He took care of making sure we had a red cap in CHI, and helped with bags. Charles was outstanding and got a nice tip.

Room was open at all times.

We've got to fire those people who don't comply with the rules. Any SCA using a bedroom is in direct violation of the rules and should be reported. The reason why the service sucks on some trains is because passengers are complacent and do not insist on what they paid for and have every right to deserve.

its a basic aluminum t with a hole for a lock drilled on the top of the single t.....Then there is an L bracket with a slot cut for the top of the first t with the hole drilled to slide through. They lower ends are folded(but not necessary) just to give it more strenght . The only door stop is the one end of the l bracket. Pretty basic and it wont leave marks on the door when removed. I really down see how a door locked this way would violate any room that is locked from the inside. I am going to C&C cut a few tonight and do some testing. If they work I will sell to my AU friends for the price of materials.
Please keep us up to date. We've got a long trip planned for next year and are interested.

This is for anybody who really knows, what are the policies and/or regulations on this topic, if any?

Think About This.. The Sleeping car Attendants are the ONLY members of the crew, who in all practicality do not really get their OWN room. Everyone else on the crew gets to leave their place of work and go to the DORM car.The SLA is assigned Room # 1 in the working sleeper car..This "room" is really a storage room for clean and dirty linen,Ice chests,juice champagne,supplies etc.. After all the required amentities for the trip are put in, there is hardly any room to sleep.Also this "room" is adjacent the only PUBLIC RESTROOM on the upper level. Used every few minutes,every manner of restroom SOUND and SMELL at all hours of the DAY and Night are clearly part of the ambience inside that" attendants room"..New pax board thru the night wide awake and often look for the attendant and interrupt their few hours of sleep.The sleeping car attendant should be provided their own room in the Dorm like the other members of the crew and Room #1 should be a storage work room like it really is..

The SCA room they are assigned is where the call panel used to be installed so they could see what room needed service. They can't see that panel in any other room.So before you go high strung and say we're making a big deal over nothing it is against the rules for them to steal and block the sales of a revenue room so they can have it all to themselves.That is theft of services just like if the cafe attendant said they were out of a food item cause they wanted it instead. If the attendant pad locks the room and runs off and hids in a revenue room how is anyone to find him or her to unlock the room so they can get ice. its one thing to take a revenue room as long as no one needs it if it means they can get there 4 hours sleep but not when they are on the clock.

We've got to fire those people who don't comply with the rules. Any SCA using a bedroom is in direct violation of the rules and should be reported. The reason why the service sucks on some trains is because passengers are complacent and do not insist on what they paid for and have every right to deserve.
It's not against Amtrak regulations for an attendant to "use" any room they choose, for sleeping, storage, or whatever - the prohibition is against removing rooms from availability for use by paying passengers. After all, attendants have to make up the rooms, so if they make a mess, they have to clean it completely.

Regarding the juice and other amenities stored in room #1, those are NOT where they are to be made accessible to the public. Having had to take many boxes of juice out of rooms where people had "borrowed" (stolen) them from other passengers, this kind of control is absolutely necessary. And the lack of storage space in Superliner cars often necessitates that attendants use unoccupied rooms for portions of their trip. If you want to kill sleeper service in this country, just get more demanding...

Taking up a revenue room is a moot point. He can't call and block out that room (unless he illegally bad-orders it, which could be detected if a pattern existed). He has a manifest, so he knows that no one was in the room, so he chose to use it.

That being said, he deprived his customers of being able to access him because the call panel isn't in Bedroom A, it's behind a padlocked door.

This guy should be retrained then fired.
My point in saying it was a revenue room was to indicate that he can't hear the call panel and it is tough for passengers to find him. The fact that he is any room other than his own is the issue. I would have a problem if he was sleeping in a room in the transdorm with a coworker that he was amorous with because of the same issue. The fact that he is sleeping anywhere other than his own room is the problem.

I would also have the same issue if he was hanging out with colleagues in the lounge or the diner for hours upon hours at a time.
Said it before, but it bears repeating: the bell from the call button is loudly audible throughout the car, as long as the system is working properly. Most room #1 no longer have the button lights. And most importantly, if the attendant is to get ANYTHING done (make up beds, deliver meals, clean restrooms, open the door at station stops - including smoke stops - they CAN'T spend most of their time in room #1. Don't go expecting to find your attendant in that room. Ring the damn call button.

You might find your lock cut off if you try this. When no one is in a room, it is important for employees to be able to access those rooms in case of emergency (ever been in a derailment, or on a car with a fire or water emergency?). Crew members have locks because they ARE the ones to maintain security in their own car, so much of the time, the dorm car has no one watching it. Also, service items are not necessarily free for the taking (especially champagne, Martinelli's, etc.), so those items have to be protected from the five finger discounts that some passengers feel entitled to, to say nothing of employee personal items.

If I had been a new

I have to call B.S. on this one. Employees are well aware that service items are not meant to be taken home for personal use, and more significantly, any employee found in posession of alcohol on company property (including in the trunk of their own car when parked in a company parking lot) is subject to immediate termination; all employees know this, and few are stupid enough to risk it, and certainly wouldn't suggest it to a new crew member - they could be a spotter, for all the veteran knows.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back