Works starts on St. Paul Union Depot

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Tracktwentynine

OBS Chief
So says the Pioneer Press.

http://www.twincitie...?nclick_check=1

The depot's transit functions will take up half of the 185,000-square-foot station, leaving plenty of room for innovation. Proposals have called for retail space, a public marketplace and rotating installations by local artists.

Passenger service from the depot ended in 1971 when Amtrak moved to St. Paul's Midway area. It's expected to return once construction is complete. In 2007, the Ramsey County Regional Railroad Authority board voted to buy the depot concourse and adjacent land from the Postal Service and breathe life into the station.

In September, Ramsey County commissioners approved a $148.8 million construction contract with Mortenson Construction, which is working with HGA Architects and Engineers, as well as URS, a transportation and engineering design firm.

Using the depot as its St. Paul terminus, the $957 million Central Corridor light-rail line being built between downtown Minneapolis and downtown St. Paul is scheduled to begin operation in 2014. The light-rail trains will stop at their own station, to be built on the south side of Fourth Street in front of the depot, and not in the depot building itself.

I will have to wander down next week and see what is going on.

Pioneer Press said:
"Our next step will be trying to add a second train during the day" to Chicago on Amtrak's Empire Builder route.
This is a really interesting nugget, I did not know the local government was seeking a second service.

Hey, thanks for posting this. The sleeper waiting room made me feel like a lion in a cage. I hope they do better than the St. Louis waiting room; if they do one at all !

I'm looking forward to see this happen - I love old architecture and the interesting nuggets / details that can be found.

Just one more reason to head over there during lunch - even in the middle of winter. SPUD is at one end and my office at the other of the skyway system.

If you're unfamiliar with the skyway concept, think of the Habitrail system created for hamsters. It connects buildings on either side of a street on the second or third floor so you can walk the downtown area without going outside.

An maybe, just maybe, it will be ready for my trip in 2012. If not, I guess I'll just have to plan one for after it's completed.

Another plus for this location is Budget car rental (Amtrak partner) which I use often here will be just blocks away!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back