Winter Sale and Sleeper Fares

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ceblack

Train Attendant
A quick check on the last day of the Amtrak Winter Sale:

The Winter Sale does not apply to sleeper fares, and does not apply to rail fares if sleeper accomodations are selected. So if I'm planning a trip for this spring (still within the "travel by" dates of the Winter Sale) that is in sleeper accomodations on every leg, I really shouldn't worry about rushing to make a reservation today because I'm not going to save the 20% on rail fare.

Just want someone to confirm my so-called logic. Obviously, I incur the risk of bucket prices going up the longer I wait.

Thanks in advance,

Clark

While it is true that the sleeper fares push the coach fares into the low bucket, and that the low bucket fare may be at or higher than the "winter sale fares", the only way to do what you are suggesting is to do an onboard upgrade. The problem is that in the next 2 or 3 months (or whenever you're traveling), all the rooms may be sold! :eek: And then there will not be any possibility of an onboard upgrade! :(

A quick check on the last day of the Amtrak Winter Sale:
The Winter Sale does not apply to sleeper fares, and does not apply to rail fares if sleeper accomodations are selected. So if I'm planning a trip for this spring (still within the "travel by" dates of the Winter Sale) that is in sleeper accomodations on every leg, I really shouldn't worry about rushing to make a reservation today because I'm not going to save the 20% on rail fare.

Just want someone to confirm my so-called logic. Obviously, I incur the risk of bucket prices going up the longer I wait.

Thanks in advance,

Clark
You might not get the winter sale rates but you should book right away. Amtrak uses the bucket system so the longer you wait the more rooms that maybe sold causing you to pay even more! So my advice would to start booking that trip today!

You might not get the winter sale rates but you should book right away. Amtrak uses the bucket system so the longer you wait the more rooms that maybe sold causing you to pay even more! So my advice would to start booking that trip today!
Very good advice. I have seen sleeper accommodation rates DOUBLE between their lowest and highest bucket prices. That would easily overshadow any possible savings on the rail portion of the fare.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back