Winter Park Ski Train

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I'm very happy to see that the Ski Train lives on, and was not just a 'flash-in-the-pan' one season operation....
default_smile.png

I think it is just the second under Amtrak sponsorship

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

Amtrak #5(03) has the cars for the Winter Park Express on its end. I think it's the last eight cars. The last three have wrap ads on them. This westbound California Zephyr also happens to have an SD70MAC in the executive green and cream colors of the Burlington Northern Railroad leading.

#5 was over an hour and forty minutes late when it passed Agency, Iowa.

Last edited by a moderator:
Here's a better video of Amtrak #5(03) that includes a better look at the new wrap ads that was filmed by Bobby Harvey in Ottumwa, Iowa.

Bobby always does a great job. I have seen a number of his videos on YouTube.

Sent from my iPhone using Amtrak Forum

This westbound California Zephyr also happens to have an SD70MAC in the executive green and cream colors of the Burlington Northern Railroad leading.
I was on that train; and whatever was leading wasn't able to do more than about 69 m/h, explaining why we kept losing more and more time: It departed CHI 58 minutes late, arrived GBB 1 hour, 18 minutes late, OMA 2 hours, 9 minutes late, and DEN 3 hours, 26 minutes late (although I don't blame the engine for all of the latter)..

The Galesburg agent where I boarded said that the late departure from Chicago was due to adding the ski train cars. I assumed that “make them wait” Amtrak had waited until departure time to connect the extra cars. But watching the snafu in Denver from the rear of the last sleeper, I'm not sure that it didn't take an hour longer than planned to add the cars.

The procedure in Denver was to take the wye as usual and back into the station, except this time onto the ski train track next to the Zephyr's. Then disconnect the ski train, pull forward, then back onto the usual track. But they seemed to have trouble disconnecting the cars, until one of the employees was heard calling for a manual. Once the cars were finally disconnected, an employee came to the back of the now much shorter train with that hose apparatus. But he forgot to get the key to open the door and had to go back towards the front of the train to find the conductor, who eventually came with the key. But the conductor couldn't seem to get the key to work. Finally, they got the door open and let out a blast of air. But the conductor wasn't satisfied and went back toward the front of the train. Later, he came back, let out another blast of air, and we began backing up. But when we were on the CZ track and ready to pull into the station, there was a red light blocking our way. The conductor called someone mentioning a “restriction”; and after a while we pulled in.

I've said for a long time that switching cars is a combination of brain surgery and rocket science. Blue lights usually get blamed. But I couldn't see any blue lights.

I guess this means the 406 isn't going to make it this year.

I was on that train; and whatever was leading wasn't able to do more than about 69 m/h, explaining why we kept losing more and more time: It departed CHI 58 minutes late, arrived GBB 1 hour, 18 minutes late, OMA 2 hours, 9 minutes late, and DEN 3 hours, 26 minutes late (although I don't blame the engine for all of the latter)..

The Galesburg agent where I boarded said that the late departure from Chicago was due to adding the ski train cars. I assumed that “make them wait” Amtrak had waited until departure time to connect the extra cars. But watching the snafu in Denver from the rear of the last sleeper, I'm not sure that it didn't take an hour longer than planned to add the cars.

The procedure in Denver was to take the wye as usual and back into the station, except this time onto the ski train track next to the Zephyr's. Then disconnect the ski train, pull forward, then back onto the usual track. But they seemed to have trouble disconnecting the cars, until one of the employees was heard calling for a manual. Once the cars were finally disconnected, an employee came to the back of the now much shorter train with that hose apparatus. But he forgot to get the key to open the door and had to go back towards the front of the train to find the conductor, who eventually came with the key. But the conductor couldn't seem to get the key to work. Finally, they got the door open and let out a blast of air. But the conductor wasn't satisfied and went back toward the front of the train. Later, he came back, let out another blast of air, and we began backing up. But when we were on the CZ track and ready to pull into the station, there was a red light blocking our way. The conductor called someone mentioning a “restriction”; and after a while we pulled in.

I've said for a long time that switching cars is a combination of brain surgery and rocket science. Blue lights usually get blamed. But I couldn't see any blue lights.
When you say "manual' you weren't talking about a manual uncoupling, were you?

Additionally, the blast of air came from a back up hose. He performed a back up hose test, which is required. Obviously, he must have taken an exception if he did another test. Perhaps it didn't place the engine in emergency.

That red light blocking the track might have been a restricted speed operational test. It is probably a good thing they stopped or you would have been waiting for a recrew.

That red light blocking the track might have been a restricted speed operational test. It is probably a good thing they stopped or you would have been waiting for a recrew.
Right! except you would have to be there to see the irony. The red light was blocking entry to the CZ's station track. You could see the track was clear between our location and the dead end. It's as if the conductor had to wake up someone to set the signal correctly.

What are the odds?

Two days later we continued our journey from Denver heading to California; and again we had
a freight engine. The sleeping car attendant said we had hit a car parked on the track as a teenage
prank near Galesburg, and that the cab heater failed, requiring the replacement engine.
I'm not vouching for any of this; but when my wife heard the story, she had a much cheaper and
less delay causing solution: loan the engineer a heavy coat to make it the short distance to
Galesburg. Meantime have someone in Galesburg go to Walmart and buy a space heater.

I know! I know!

What are the odds?

Two days later we continued our journey from Denver heading to California; and again we had

a freight engine. The sleeping car attendant said we had hit a car parked on the track as a teenage

prank near Galesburg, and that the cab heater failed, requiring the replacement engine.

I'm not vouching for any of this; but when my wife heard the story, she had a much cheaper and

less delay causing solution: loan the engineer a heavy coat to make it the short distance to

Galesburg. Meantime have someone in Galesburg go to Walmart and buy a space heater.

I know! I know!

Excellent ideas Paul, therefore a Non-Starter @ the Nations Passenger Rail Road!

Attachments

• fake fireplace.jpg
    fake fireplace.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 0
I get your point Thirdrail, but the Nanny State has made almost everything Cost more and prevents "Field Engineering" where necessary!

The idea about Coat and Gloves for the Engineer to Galesburg isn't a violation right???

"..First we kill all the Lawyers.."

Last edited by a moderator:
I get your point Thirdrail, but the Nanny State has made almost everything Cost more and prevents "Field Engineering" where necessary!

The idea about Coat and Gloves for the Engineer to Galesburg isn't a violation right???

"..First we kill all the Lawyers.."
I doubt an engineer that got on in Chicago and was getting off in Galesburg was without a coat & gloves.

Videos of the first run of this year's Winter Park Express on January 5. This one was taken by michael harriman.

The cars used on the Winter Park Express are now heading to Chicago on the end of Amtrak #6(26).

Back