Winnemucca Observations

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

greatcats

Engineer
Enjoyed the drive from Las Vegas to Winnemucca, via Tonopah ( gas tank running perilously low ) and the state highways via Austin. Spectacular up these north-south running valleys between snow capped mountain ranges. ( took this routing as I hate driving I5 in California. ) Staying tonight at Best Western in Winnemucca. For entertainment, went over to the bus station type train shelter. An eastbound UP freight was sitting there, which departed after the Amtrak train. CZ arrived about 12 minutes early and the engine stopped on the platform. The train crew and one engineer got off and the Salt Lake City crew, with two engineers, boarded. Then the train pulled forward and a crowd of coach passengers got off to smoke. From what I could tell, no passengers detrained or entrained here tonight. The smokers did not get to puff their entire butts, as the train left on time, followed by the freight. May I recommend, for anybody passing through Winnemucca by whatever means of transportation, dinner at the Martin Hotel, which features Basque cuisine. It is located on Railroad Ave. just one short block east of the station stop, and i would not have known about it if i had not gone to observe Amtrak. I just had a fabulous meal there, wine included. As some of you may know, I am the tour bus driver for Holland America/ Princess in Ketchikan, Alaska. Tomorrow, a friend's home near Klamath Falls, OR and then another friend's home near Portland, then the ALaska Ferry on Friday for the two night run to Ketchikan. Y'all stop in and see me now, you heah?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back