Wine

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

debmep

Train Attendant
There probably is a real simple solution to this that I am missing so let me ask. I am taking on board my own small screw top bottles of wine for our trip on the SWC in March. I am aware that we are suppose to stay in our rooms while using our own carry on wine. Since we like our wine chilled, is there some way to get ice? I think that this might work-if our train arrives on time at Chicago, we will visit the Metropolitan Lounge. Since they have soda on tap, I am assuming that there is ice available. So if I bring a few gallon size zip lock bags along, I could get some ice and then stick the small bottles of wine into the bags to chill for a few hours before the SWC leaves. Only issue would be where to keep the bag of ice & wine? Of course I am guilty of over-planning things, but thats me. Worse case sanario-I grab some ice just as we are called to board, then hope I dont drop the bag with the ice & bottles of wine. Maybe someone else has a better idea.

Ice is available in sleeping cars as well, although this can vary somewhat as to whether you can help yourself or the attendant has to get it for you. As far as where to keep the ice and wine, do you have a small cooler or something like that? Then you wouldn't have to worry as much about the bag leaking as the ice melts.

Sleeping cars do normally have ice available, although not enough for a big cooler. However, one of the smaller coolers like Igloo's mini Playmate cooler (holds a 6-pack of soda cans) should work fine.

I agree, buy and bring one of those small coolers. When 4 of us took the (no longer valid) KWD-KCY-LAX-PDX-CBS 1 zone loophole trip, we bought a small cooler in KCY (during the layover) to keep our booze cold. I don't think we refilled the ice!
cool.gif

Are you allowed to have wine, or any other alcoholic beverages, with you in the Metropolitan Lounge or Club Acela's?

Don't know... just wondering.
The lounges do not serve alcoholic beverages, like some airline lounges! They only have coffee, tea, snacks and soft drinks. However, if you're in a sleeper, you can bring them with you. (But I don't think you can consume them in the lounge!)

There are no lounge police checking your beverage as you wait for a train. I would think an adult being discreet and minding their own business would not offend anyone in the lounge. Worked for me.

Why lug a cooler around if you don't have to? Get some ice from SCA and dump it into your sink. Wine should be cool in 30 min or less if you're using the miniature size, a bit longer for the small bottles.

The SCA will have a few cardboard ice buckets, about the size of a KFC chicken bucket. Just ask for some ice and hand the SCA a few bucks and you will have plenty of ice to chill your wine. To be safe I would fill some ziplocs with ice from the metro lounge drink machine. I did that and asked for an ice bucket and had PLENTY of ice.

There are no lounge police checking your beverage as you wait for a train. I would think an adult being discreet and minding their own business would not offend anyone in the lounge. Worked for me.
If you're discreet you can also take your wine to the sightseer lounge. Every time I've done it no one has said a word.

If you're discreet you can also take your wine to the sightseer lounge. Every time I've done it no one has said a word.

That's what cups are for. :cool:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back