Will I get the free "sparkling wine" mid-trip in sleeper?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Garethe7

Train Attendant
I know I will have it on the EB leaving Chicago, but will it be waiting for me in my roomette on the SWC leaving Kansas City? I don't at all mean it to sound like a requirement, I really don't care either way, just curious, since the price I paid was I believe for the entire "leg" of that portion of the SWC route, far beyond the 7 hours I will be on it.

Unless something has changed drastically in the last few months, they don't have the complimentary items on the SWC...

Unfortunately, no.

The "free" sparkling wine is only offered on the "enhanced" long-distance routes (the Empire Builder & Coast Starlight).

Last edited by a moderator:
The SWC has tequila.

(I'm just kidding; though, this would be pretty awesome...)

Ah ok, I forgot about that, I was always fortunate to be on that enhanced route and never gave it a 2nd thought, being used to it I guess.

Tequila? LOL. I will be fine with my Rock Star energy drinks, I always pack a couple of em.

The "free" sparkling wine is only offered on the "enhanced" long-distance routes (the Empire Builder & Coast Starlight).
On the EB, it's offered only in Chicago, Seattle and Portland.
And on the CS, only if you start in LA, Portland or Seattle.
It it not offered at other points on these routes. But if you ask your SCA, and (s)he has some left over, you "may" get some (but I would not count on it)!

Ah ok, I forgot about that, I was always fortunate to be on that enhanced route and never gave it a 2nd thought, being used to it I guess.

Tequila? LOL. I will be fine with my Rock Star energy drinks, I always pack a couple of em.
Just kidding. :)

Ryan and I were joking around during lunch on Sunday while discussing which trains have wine. We expanded that to come up with signature drinks that would be offered on all of the regional trains, such as tequila on the SWC, Napa Valley wine in northern CA, Irish Coffee on the NEC, Mint Juleps on the Crescent and CONO, and so on. I asked about the Michigan Services, and we said, "Budweiser," at the exact same time. :)

As a joke, aboard an Amtrak train I asked loudly for a "Duff beer", in my English accent... The server looked blank, 'till I said, "You know, the stuff Homer Simpson drinks...". His face brightened and he said "I guess that would be a Budweiser then..."

Ed :cool:

Just kidding. :)

Ryan and I were joking around during lunch on Sunday while discussing which trains have wine. We expanded that to come up with signature drinks that would be offered on all of the regional trains, such as tequila on the SWC, Napa Valley wine in northern CA, Irish Coffee on the NEC, Mint Juleps on the Crescent and CONO, and so on. I asked about the Michigan Services, and we said, "Budweiser," at the exact same time. :)
Actually, I would think that tequila would be a better match on the Sunset Limited/Texas Eagle. And f or the NEC, it should be, what else but a Manhattan?

Ooh, Manhattan. That's good. :) I think Ryan mentioned gin too, which would work well for martinis (also a "NYC" drink, in my mind).

Yes, tequila for the SL/TE. The SWC would get what, then? Margaritas? :)

Ooh, Manhattan. That's good. :) I think Ryan mentioned gin too, which would work well for martinis (also a "NYC" drink, in my mind).

Yes, tequila for the SL/TE. The SWC would get what, then? Margaritas? :)
Budweiser with a Cosmo shot backer. Covers LAX and the heartland.

Yeah, tequilla by itself is yucky; ya need marguaritas or a blue gardenia served in a quart sized glass for other passengers who don't have airborne disease (flu, i.e.) to get straws and have a totally 70's/80's moment in a Superliner sightseer lounge!!! I can hear the "wheeeeees" and laughing now.

I'm sorry, but if leaving NOL it should be a Hurricane. :p ( or maybe a Pousse Cafe' )

While Taquila would be fine on the Sunset, ( or a Ramos Gin Fiz ) the SW Chief should serve Snake Bites

YEA, my second life "bartender skills" come into play

As far as drinks on trains go, this 5-year-old (damn, how did that happen) article from the Wall Street Journal shows how fallen our latter times are. I especially like the fusty Pullman instructions on serving drinks, and the description of the 20th Century Limited as "an undulant sea of Martinis, Manhattans, sours and highballs."

FWIW, the 20th Century cocktail is really good, regardless (or rather because) of the odd creme de cacao ingredient. It works much better with Lillet blanc than with Italian vermouth.

I know I will have it on the EB leaving Chicago, but will it be waiting for me in my roomette on the SWC leaving Kansas City? I don't at all mean it to sound like a requirement, I really don't care either way, just curious, since the price I paid was I believe for the entire "leg" of that portion of the SWC route, far beyond the 7 hours I will be on it.
Champagne is one of those products where your enjoyment can depend greatly on the specifics of its creation. When done right it's like drinking a fizzy alcoholic cloud of perpetual refreshment. When done wrong it can taste something more akin to carbonated sewage. I tried Krug Grande Cuvée for the first time while returning home from Asia a couple weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed every sip. The only aspects working against it are the cost and lack of availability.

If I were bringing my own selection aboard, as Amtrak allows for sleeper passengers, I'd probably choose something a bit less extravagant such as Piper-Heidsieck Cuvée Brut. It's not exactly top shelf quality, but you'll get a crisp and delicious selection anyone who enjoys champagne should be able to appreciate. It's certainly far smoother and better tasting than a similarly priced selection from Veuve Clicquot.

If you're traveling for something important or celebrating a rare event it may be worth it to splurge. A single bottle of Dom Pérignon can cost $500 or more in countries that impose high taxes or tariffs on luxury goods while the exact same bottle could cost closer to $150 here in the US. It's still an expensive and extravagant purchase to be sure, but possibly worth it under the right circumstances.

And what's wrong with a Long Island Ice Tea?
Somewhere along the way the Long Island Iced Tea was turned into yet another watery Gatorade style girly drink by whatever remains of a once proud and proper bar tending profession. In the past the Long Island was a carefully created cocktail you ordered after a heavy meal or to help you catch up with someone else. Now it's a generic house drink so full of ice and generic mix that it's more likely to sober you up than knock you out. Like dozens of other cocktails the Long Island has become a shell of its former self and runs completely counter to experience of the original recipe.

Champagne is one of those products where your enjoyment can depend greatly on the specifics of its creation. When done right it's like drinking a fizzy alcoholic cloud of perpetual refreshment. When done wrong it can taste something more akin to carbonated sewage. I tried Krug Grande Cuvée for the first time while returning home from Asia a couple weeks ago and thoroughly enjoyed every sip. The only aspects working against it are the cost and lack of availability.If I were bringing my own selection aboard, as Amtrak allows for sleeper passengers, I'd probably choose something a bit less extravagant such as Piper-Heidsieck Cuvée Brut. It's not exactly top shelf quality, but you'll get a crisp and delicious selection anyone who enjoys champagne should be able to appreciate. It's certainly far smoother and better tasting than a similarly priced selection from Veuve Clicquot.

If you're traveling for something important or celebrating a rare event it may be worth it to splurge. A single bottle of Dom Pérignon can cost $500 or more in countries that impose high taxes or tariffs on luxury goods while the exact same bottle could cost closer to $150 here in the US. It's still an expensive and extravagant purchase to be sure, but possibly worth it under the right circumstances.

And what's wrong with a Long Island Ice Tea?
Somewhere along the way the Long Island Iced Tea was turned into yet another watery Gatorade style girly drink by whatever remains of a once proud and proper bar tending profession. In the past the Long Island was a carefully created cocktail you ordered after a heavy meal or to help you catch up with someone else. Now it's a generic house drink so full of ice and generic mix that it's more likely to sober you up than knock you out. Like dozens of other cocktails the Long Island has become a shell of its former self and runs completely counter to experience of the original recipe.
Bravo! My first Long Island iced tea was made, and explained by a very talented barkeep. It is an empty glass of ice to which you add 6 kinds of alcohol. The art is mixing in the correct portions, so that just a splash of mix, and a splash of coke for color is all you need. It tasted like an iced tea, with no aftertaste of alcohol, even though it had about 5 fingers worth. ;)

I've only ever had a Long Island that was made perfectly, just like Buddy mentioned, where the Coke and mix are added for color. Maybe I got lucky.

I've also had it made with Blue Curacao instead of Coke. THAT was YUMMY. I know it isn't a Long Island. I can't remember what they called it.

Well I think the appeal of the champagne made it seem that much more special because it was completely unexpected. I'm not really a wine guy and did not attend the wine/cheese thing.

I like the drink ideas, why not liven things up? I think the lounge would be packed if they offered frozen strawberry margueritas or jello shots, lol. In fact the last time I even saw the SSL bar open for business was on the CZ during the DW/Pioneer days, I've never seen that bar open since then on other routes. But man that was fun, and not a seat to be had going through the Colorado rockies.

I recall a couple times when I rode the Sunset Limited back in the 90s they had a "Happy Hour Special" in the Sightseer Lounge where a theme drink was offered at a set price and bowls of snacks were laid out in the Lower Level. I think this happened on the City of New Orleans (pre-Superliner) as well.

I've only ever had a Long Island that was made perfectly, just like Buddy mentioned, where the Coke and mix are added for color.
There are no classic cocktail recipes that include "mix" as an ingredient.

Commercial drink mix is a generic substitute for perishable ingredients such as fresh citrus juices.

In also replaces simple but tedious preparations such as liquefied sugar.

Drink mix is used because it's dirt cheap, can be stored in harsh conditions, and lasts forever.

Perfection comes from spending extra time and effort to achieve a very specific result.

Mix comes from a giant plastic bucket containing a cocktail of artificial ingredients.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back