Will Gov Shutdown bring more riders to Amtrak?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We’re very far from Amtrak here. The initial question being answered, it’s probably time to shut this one down...
I started the original post and am surprised how far we've gotten from the question but I am fascinated by the passion that each poster has given to the topic of the shutdown and prey that it ends for all of our sakes.

Maybe drop the smug attitude and recognize that you can’t possibly know the financial situation of every single worker going unpaid. It’s not hyperbole for some of us.
 Ryan, your personal jab aside, I do not need to know anyone’s personal financial situation to know that it is impossible for anyone to be out on the street.  This is because I am intimately familiar with the law involving foreclosure and eviction.   We are a country of laws that does not allow landlords and lenders to just throw people out on the street after a few days of missing a payment. The process takes much longer than that.  Much, much longer.  

Again, I am on your side when it comes to this issue. But, Ryan, it’s not okay to personally attack someone for merely correcting a false statement - especially when your attack depends on the insertion of facts that were not part of the original discussion.   I certainly would never have done that to you.   We have enough divisiveness in our country.  Please don’t be responsible for adding to it.  

Last edited by a moderator:
And to be fair, everyone knows that they will be paid.  It’s just a question of when.  
That's a pretty big question for most working class people.  The person at the center of this impasse has openly bragged that he'd be fine with months or even years of perpetual dysfunction.

I’m not saying that I like what I am seeing, but if you have missed a mortgage payment after 4 days you’ve got some serious financial planning to do.  And nobody has lost their apartment or a home.  Eviction and foreclosures take much longer than a few days...We are a country of laws that does not allow landlords and lenders to just throw people out on the street after a few days of missing a payment. The process takes much much longer than that.  Much, much longer. 
The specifics largely depend on state law but once you're on the path toward eviction it's not always possible to reverse the process and resolve your situation amicably.  The longer this goes on the more people will begin to fall through the cracks.  Once you've been formally evicted it's going to be surprisingly difficult to secure another lease in a good location.  We live in a society that responds to working class financial hiccups with cumulative penalties of increasing severity and some of us are reacting to the overall trend rather than busying ourselves with the minutia of when a specific subgroup in a specific location will be irreparably compromised.

I am on your side when it comes to this issue.
Yeah we know you're always "on the same side" of any person who challenges anything you write.

Last edited by a moderator:
With the reduction in the TNA agents at the airports (calling in sick and such), and travel in general affected by the Gov shutdown, do you think more people will see the ease and hassle-free nature of Amtrak and take that for their trips?  
To answer the original question, I think it will bring less riders. The NEC is definitely seeing less ridership. Additionally, with people being furloughed, there is less disposable income.  This will also trickle down to the businesses that support government workers.

It is my opinion that the prices on the corridor are quite expensive.  If you're unsure when you'll receive your next paycheck, you are less likely to travel unless you have to.

Yeah, we know you're always "on the same side" of every single person who challenges anything you write.
Is there a particular reason why you feel entitled to be snarky toward me?  All I did was correct a factual error.  If that offended you somehow I’m not sure what to say.  

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back