Will dining cars resume 12/15/20?/Flexible dining extended to May 2021?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Question! Where does the attendant get the water for coffee urn in the sleeper car [pre covid]? I suspect they get it from the bathroom sink but am not sure. I've never seen them toting in water from the diner and they certainly don't use the bottled water. I've never noticed a water dispenser in the superliner passenger cars.

At one time, there were several AU members who were members of the Amtrak Customer Advisory Committee (which was terminated a couple of years ago). Amtrak management did listen to ACAC members and participated in its meetings and conferences.

I remember that Committee. Why was it terminated?

I am thinking about starting a petition to allow sleeper passengers a $20 credit at the Cafe car in lieu of a flexible dining meal.
Also, I saw where the dining car attendant was punching in meals into a cash register at say $34 for a chicken Alfredo meal. Why do they have to do this where the meals are free for sleeper car passengers.
The cafe car is nothing to write home about right nowadays. All the fresh sandwich and salad options have been removed due to Covid. It’s mostly microwaved and sweet stuff.

then throwing those meals away and purchasing food in the cafe car... which is a bit more palatable but certainly not healthy.
I have yet to see someone do this. I get it a lot of members here don’t like the flex dining but I really don’t understand the praise here for the cafe car. They have cut it down to bare bones - I guess if you want the microwave burger or hot dog you are good to go, but in the morning it is basically all the same stuff you can get for free. All the cafe car salads and sandwiches have been cut due to Covid. It’s all microwave packaged stuff and sweets. As I have said a million times it seems all the conversation here is focused on flexible dining but Amtrak has cut across the board in all aspects of f&b just as airlines have. Everyone is just trying to survive right now and frankly I don’t think they care about variety or any of that. There just aren’t that many people riding to really care about food quality. Cases and hospitalizations are sky high. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with complaining and brainstorming ideas - but if anything thinks Amtrak is going to change anything before the pandemic is behind us is naive.

Last edited:
I get it a lot of members here don’t like the flex dining but I really don’t understand the praise here for the cafe car.
I’d take the cafe car veggie burger, a bag of chips, and a pack of peanut m&ms over any of the flex meals personally.

That’s not praising the cafe car, that’s just a sad statement of how bad the flex meals are imho.

I’d take the cafe car veggie burger, a bag of chips, and a pack of peanut m&ms over any of the flex meals personally.

That’s not praising the cafe car, that’s just a sad statement of how bad the flex meals are imho.
Don’t get me wrong I’m done with Covid just as much as anyone I just think we are spinning our wheels here until the pandemic is over - Amtrak is not going to change anything at least until then. Just trying to be a realist. I personally think they will bring back traditional dining out west. I’m in full agreement flex dining in the east needs improvement I just think while ridership is still bleeding it’s going to be a hard sell to change anything - and I think the important thing is to prioritize the advocacy on restoring the frequencies to daily ASAP and then the conversation can move to things like food.

Last edited:
Amtrak is always promoting on Facebook and the responses are usually positive. A couple of times Amtrak was promoting their flexible dining with pictures and touting the first beer or wine was free. That's when the negative comments erupted. Amtrak should not be promoting their food.

Instead of changing what they serve during C-19 - why not just discontinue serving any food with a sleeper, lower the price of the sleeper fare and let people bring their own and/or buy from the café car

Instead of changing what they serve during C-19 - why not just discontinue serving any food with a sleeper, lower the price of the sleeper fare and let people bring their own and/or buy from the café car
Careful what you wish for...generally when companies do that they don’t lower the price enough to make it worthwhile. Also, those types of things work best when prices are fixed. A la carte pricing is a hard sell when there are fare buckets with dynamic pricing based in demand...otherwise it comes across as nickel and diming because some people will pay more without food than they did pre-change with food included.

I agree that nothing will change much until the majority have the vaccine and the numbers are way down to an acceptable level. Nothing in the cafe right now is any better to me than the provided meal.

I have yet to see someone do this. I get it a lot of members here don’t like the flex dining but I really don’t understand the praise here for the cafe car. They have cut it down to bare bones - I guess if you want the microwave burger or hot dog you are good to go, but in the morning it is basically all the same stuff you can get for free. All the cafe car salads and sandwiches have been cut due to Covid. It’s all microwave packaged stuff and sweets. As I have said a million times it seems all the conversation here is focused on flexible dining but Amtrak has cut across the board in all aspects of f&b just as airlines have. Everyone is just trying to survive right now and frankly I don’t think they care about variety or any of that. There just aren’t that many people riding to really care about food quality. Cases and hospitalizations are sky high. I don’t think there’s anything wrong with complaining and brainstorming ideas - but if anything thinks Amtrak is going to change anything before the pandemic is behind us is naive.
My wife did it after seeing some millennials do it on our train. She said she had enough of the same meal as only one entree on the menu could she stomach. She had tried my meals as well as her own of which she threw away half. And my wife is much more open to different foods than I am!

We’re all just surviving these days, Amtrak is no different. I took one long COVID era trip after dropping my daughter off with a car near Boston. That trip was Boston-NYP on Acela, NYP-Charlottesville (CVS) on the Crescent, CVS-Crawfordsville IN on the Cardinal.

I got the box meal in Acela FC, and Flex Dining on the two LD routes. I got by ok - but have no restrictions. If you take a trip in these Covid times with special dietary needs, you really have no choice but to bring your own food. That’s just the way it is, unfortunately.

After this is all over, I’ll go back to lobbying the powers that be for a return of appropriate dining options. Even at its peak - there was nothing over the top about Amtrak Dining Car food. If they want to modernize it, add some healthier choices to the menu - and go back to more freshly cooked items by onboard chefs.

I think recent management should have a little better fiscal reputation in Congress. Hopefully with a friendly administration they can expand service where it makes sense and bring onboard services back to a civilized level.

Probably wishful thinking.

I would not want to be forced to buy from the cafe car right now - as I’ve stated before it’s also been cut. This is not the cafe car that was avaiable on the silver star when they removed dining entirely - on a long trip the few items they have from there would also get old - and while you can bring your own stuff it is tricky to heat stuff. The exception to this is the auto train which still has a full cafe car for the coach passengers and of course better meals for sleepers. It would be one thing to do this on a one night train but to have nothing but microwave burgers and hot dogs and noodle cups and frozen pizzas on the two nighters wouldn’t really cut it. Plus knowing Amtrak they would never have enough stock. The corridor cafes are actually rather embarrassing at the moment - literally the menu board is littered with sold out stickers over all the stuff they cut from the menu.

Last edited:
We’re all just surviving these days, Amtrak is no different. I took one long COVID era trip after dropping my daughter off with a car near Boston. That trip was Boston-NYP on Acela, NYP-Charlottesville (CVS) on the Crescent, CVS-Crawfordsville IN on the Cardinal.

I got the box meal in Acela FC, and Flex Dining on the two LD routes. I got by ok - but have no restrictions. If you take a trip in these Covid times with special dietary needs, you really have no choice but to bring your own food. That’s just the way it is, unfortunately.

After this is all over, I’ll go back to lobbying the powers that be for a return of appropriate dining options. Even at its peak - there was nothing over the top about Amtrak Dining Car food. If they want to modernize it, add some healthier choices to the menu - and go back to more freshly cooked items by onboard chefs.

I think recent management should have a little better fiscal reputation in Congress. Hopefully with a friendly administration they can expand service where it makes sense and bring onboard services back to a civilized level.

Probably wishful thinking.

The only thing that would have been different pre-covid was Acela FC. the Crescent and Cardinal had the flex menu before covid.

Will be cancelling that 'dream trip' on Amtrak purchased for 85,000 points... scheduled for early January. We are entering a most dangerous and critical period as the pandemic continues to spread as vaccinations are ramping up. I will see if the agent can reschedule this trip for next November for about the same number of points... but kind-a think it will take even more.

This is the itinerary... all sleeping accommodations: EUG to LAX, LAX to CHI, overnight in CHI on own account, CHI to WAS on the Cardinal, overnight in WAS on own account, WAS to BOS in regional business class, overnight in BOS on own account, BOS to CHI, CHI to PDX, PDX back to EUG on a bus.

In addition to risking exposure to COVID, the food would include about 20 flex lunches and dinners [along with 20 of those same old same old brownies] and about 10 flex cardboard and sugar breakfasts. Bad food!

Simply no telling what the future holds for Amtrak at this point but would rather stay home than risk my life while choking on those awful disgusting processed meals.

I'm all for having no included food rather than the abysmal disgusting stuff they have now and bring down the price... but they'd rather include cheep cheap food to keep prices inflated.

Oh on another note I am taking 97 next week - this is my first trip I received the email allowing me to pre select my dinner item. It offered the choice of a three cheese manicotti in addition to the normal choices - I wonder if this is an extra item that’s only available if you preorder.

Oh on another note I am taking 97 next week - this is my first trip I received the email allowing me to pre select my dinner item. It offered the choice of a three cheese manicotti in addition to the normal choices - I wonder if this is an extra item that’s only available if you preorder.

Three cheese manicotti looks something like this... but if it's a flex meal I doubt it :confused:

1608830004060.png

I booked a mid January circle tour from Harrisburg to Portland via the The Pennsylvanian,Capitol Limited and EB,The Coast Starlight to Martinez,on to Fresno,overnight ,onto LA,Texas Eagle to Chicago,Cardinal to Charlottesville,overnight and back up to Pa. on a NE Regional and Keystone. Roomettes most of the way. Coach to Chicago and Portland to Martinez. The guarantee of both seats to yourself was the clincher and I saved a few hundred bucks. Points and cash.

I rode many several times in the past year. No problems. Amtrak is very good enforcing Covid restrictions. Only downside is the food,but that doesn't deter me from riding. There will be enough breaks where I can purchase better food.

With Amtrak's three days a week schedule,planning this was tough. I wanted to take the Zephyr out but I had to overnight in Chicago. I also wanted to make sure I had a same day connection in LA. With the dire situation there I didn't want to spend more time there than I had to. In Fresno,there is a La Quinta three blocks from the station.

I understand concerns with this never ending pedemic(or so it seems). I always wear a mask and social distance. As mentioned,a sleeper is one of the safest places to be. Only downer is the flex dining.

Back