Wick Moorman CEO of Amtrak

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Mr. Moorman is in the process of restructuring human resources, training and compliance. He has indicated that his first year will be his last. I'd be mighty surprised if he returned next year.
I know Mr. Moorman has indicated that he doesn't expect to be around long, but were did he say one year? I honestly don't recall that. If he is only staying around for a year then why bother restructuring anything? The next CEO will probably just restructure it again...

Mr. Moorman will step down as Co-CEO at the end of the year. His only input will involve the engineering department.

Despite his history as an airline executive, Mr. Anderson was advertising his rail bona fides at the NARP conference; apparently his father worked for a railroad. In Galveston.

Huh... wonder if we'll see a restoration of passenger service to Galveston :)

Despite his history as an airline executive, Mr. Anderson ... father worked for a railroad. In Galveston.

Galveston? That would make as much sense as restoring passenger service to Key West.

Amtrak runs a Thruway Bus between Galveston and Longview via Houston that makes connections with the Texas Eagle, but not the 3 times a week Sunset Ltd. in Houston.

Also Galveston has a nice Rail Museum downtown on the strand that features ex- Santa Fe equipment that still makes occasional Special runs for paying passengers.

Moorman did his job at Amtrak - find a CEO for the long term that has demonstrated ability to manage a business and is not just another political hack. He also identified the urgency of neeeded repairs at NYP and brought that project in on time and on budget much to the surprise of pundits. And, I suspect, he identified the areas needing management changes that we now see Anderson implementing. I hope the reports of him being available as an adviser for engineering projects are accurate.

Despite his history as an airline executive, Mr. Anderson ... father worked for a railroad. In Galveston.

Galveston? That would make as much sense as restoring passenger service to Key West.
At least there are still tracks going to Galveston.

If rail service ever resumes, I expect it will be more in the form of commuter rail out of Houston rather than any LD route.

Yes please.
default_wink.png

At least there are still tracks going to Galveston.

If rail service ever resumes, I expect it will be more in the form of commuter rail out of Houston rather than any LD route.
Active tracks, at that, including near-annual passenger specials run via the Railroad Museum.

There's been talk of heavy commuter from Galveston to Houston over the years; the biggest hurdle seems to be getting people to downtown Houston.

Or an Anderson issue, for that matter, as any commuter service would not be AMTK, and other than the extant Thruway service AMTK would not be involved at all.

But I digress...
default_wink.png

Mr. Moorman will step down as Co-CEO at the end of the year. His only input will involve the engineering department.
And thus the Moorman era comes to a close and Amtrak will be headed solely by an airlines man, and we all know how that industry operates. I hope that he, at least enjoys dining car food and riding trains.
And thus the Moorman era comes to a close and Amtrak will be headed solely by an airlines man, and we all know how that industry operates. I hope that he, at least enjoys dining car food and riding trains.
He posted in an employee forum this week that """he has no intention of using the 10001 car, he would rather ride as an actual passenger." He also posted a basic statement saying "dining car service would continue on long distance trains" ( this was an answer in response to a question)

That is what he said at the NARP conclave in Chicago too. he intends to ride in standard passenger accommodation.

And indeed, though he did not say it categorically, but the impression that he gave is that all overnight LD trains will eventually get Diners, once the Diner delivery situation is behind them. In side conversations it was mentioned that the exact nature of service (the soft product) in the Diners may vary a bit from train to train.

That is excellent news and a 180 degree turn from Smiley Joe Boardman when he was CEO, and letting the Bean Counters run amok with their Nickel and Dime cuts to LD Trains!

Last edited by a moderator:
That is excellent news and a 180 degree turn from Smiley Joe Boardman when he was CEO, and letting the Bean Counters run amok with their Nickel and Dime cuts to LD Trains!
Boardman's bean counter (CFO) over him even Boardman appeared to have no control, has been long gone. One of the early casualties after the arrival of Moorman.

Anderson would only travel in main cabin at Delta. I'm a flight attendant at Delta and know this as fact. His wife would do the same as well. He liked the interaction with the passengers and listened to their feedback. Unlike our current CEO that doesn't follow that routine, but I digress

Anderson would only travel in main cabin at Delta. I'm a flight attendant at Delta and know this as fact. His wife would do the same as well. He liked the interaction with the passengers and listened to their feedback. Unlike our current CEO that doesn't follow that routine, but I digress
Disgression can be good for the soul, and very informative, LOL.

Once Wick is a consultant hope Anderson uses him especially for track work and dealing with freight RRs ! Appears that NYPS work this past summer had more items completed than originally planned ?

Despite his history as an airline executive, Mr. Anderson was advertising his rail bona fides at the NARP conference; apparently his father worked for a railroad. In Galveston.

That's all I ever wanted.
default_cool.png

Back