Wi-Fi on Viewliner Cars?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What is your experience with Wi-Fi on the Viewliner LD trains? I'm considering either the LSL or CL. The CL is cheaper but if the Wi-Fi works well on the LSL I might consider it worth it to pay extra for the LSL. Is Amtrak working on adding Wi-Fi to the Superliner trains?

What is your experience with Wi-Fi on the Viewliner LD trains? I'm considering either the LSL or CL. The CL is cheaper but if the Wi-Fi works well on the LSL I might consider it worth it to pay extra for the LSL. Is Amtrak working on adding Wi-Fi to the Superliner trains?
I was actually quite surprised by my connectivity on the LSL earlier this week.....not too many problems with the wifi.

What happened to the days of bringing a book or just kicking back and watching the world go by? Granted I've always brought my laptop to watch movies, but I try to watch a movie at night when it's harder to see.

Some people like to stay connected while on the train. I enjoy checking my email and a few websites at least once a day. Other times, I'm reading a book or knitting. Any time at all, I stop what I am doing to look out the window!

They are working on adding wi-fi to the Superliners, but it's more difficult on some routes than others. The Coast Starlight has had it in the Pacific Parlor Cars for sever years. Last winter, I had wi-fi in my sleeper on the Southwest Chief, though it was spotty because of the terrain. In both those cases, it comes from a portable "hotspot" that runs off cell phone towers, so it's entirely dependent on cell reception. I know they are working on other routes, but the terrain offers bigger challenges on routes like the Empire Builder.

On the Crescent to and from New Orleans at the beginning of September the view was mostly one of tree leaves, except for the lake causeway into the Big Easy. I took along some new reading on my Kindle instead of looking at the leaves.

The Wi-Fi on the trip down was adequate, except for the entire state of Alabama where it was non-existent. It worked the whole way on the return trip, except for a few areas where I presume there are no cell towers.

What happened to the days of bringing a book or just kicking back and watching the world go by? Granted I've always brought my laptop to watch movies, but I try to watch a movie at night when it's harder to see.
Often I'm travelling during work days. I can get work done this way.

When I traveled, I took extra days off on both ends if I wanted top do the trip by train (sometimes for work, sometimes vacation) If I checked and responded to my e-mails I got paid, if I was going on vacation, then those days were not counted. I love train travel because it is the perfect "decompression" mode of travel, especially compared to the airport rat race, but a days pay for an hour of e-mails paid for the trip.....

Some here on AU, enjoy doing "live from" commentary while they ride....it is especially interesting when there is a detour or disruption of service, to get an eyewitness report of what is going on.....

Perhaps I'm old school ;) Not to mention I'll also turn my phone off so no one can bug me.. That's the best part. Being "off the grid" for a bit.
You don't need to turn anything off. Just need to be disciplined enough not to respond to every stimulus. ;) I like to stay on the grid and actively ignore most things but am in a position to respond in emergency situations.

Perhaps I'm old school ;) Not to mention I'll also turn my phone off so no one can bug me.. That's the best part. Being "off the grid" for a bit.
You don't need to turn anything off. Just need to be disciplined enough not to respond to every stimulus. ;) I like to stay on the grid and actively ignore most things but am in a position to respond in emergency situations.
Here is how I look at it.. If I'm on a train I'm not going to be able to do something about it. Maybe decide if I need to go home or not. But that's about it.

Some people like to stay connected while on the train. I enjoy checking my email and a few websites at least once a day. Other times, I'm reading a book or knitting. Any time at all, I stop what I am doing to look out the window!

They are working on adding wi-fi to the Superliners, but it's more difficult on some routes than others. The Coast Starlight has had it in the Pacific Parlor Cars for sever years. Last winter, I had wi-fi in my sleeper on the Southwest Chief, though it was spotty because of the terrain. In both those cases, it comes from a portable "hotspot" that runs off cell phone towers, so it's entirely dependent on cell reception. I know they are working on other routes, but the terrain offers bigger challenges on routes like the Empire Builder.
I ride the Empire Builder fairly frequently and the only way I can get any connectivity is by tethering my iPhone to my lap top. Pretty decent service from CHI until MOT. After MOT very spotty (very few people, lots of cows and horses) until WFH, then little service again until SPK. After SPK almost nothing until you cross the Cascade crest, then very good all the way into SEA.

Is Amtrak working on adding Wi-Fi to the Superliner trains?
The City of New Orleans has Wi-Fi in the Sleepers now. I was on the CONO this weekend.
Is that official Wi-Fi similar to the other trains? Did Amtrak make an official announcement? Any other Superliner trains (especially the CL and TE) have Wi-Fi or will soon have it?

Here is how I look at it.. If I'm on a train I'm not going to be able to do something about it. Maybe decide if I need to go home or not. But that's about it.
I admit that there are significant advantages of not being in charge of anything that may require immediate attention without which there may be significant loss, financial or otherwise. It just comes with the territory what one does. There is a lot that can be done about things over the phone and internet. As a matter of fact my entire job is over the phone and internet. I work out of my home office and am involved in a significant project that involves people in five countries around the globe. I am typically able to intervene and fix things from my iPhone if need be, doesn't matter where I am physically located. I have even done so mid-flight from 39,000' :)

Last trip on the Cardinal .......West it worked 50% of the trip.....East it worked zero% of the trip. This was WSS to Chicago.
I was on the Cardinal east bound nearly two weeks ago and had connectivity over 90% of the time.
I feel part of our issues were due to lack of training on the system. I kinda feel if allowed I could have gotten it going.

I had wi-fi in the sleeper on the crescent last week, not bad. remember, it is not scaled for streaming video entertainment.....
They have some system in place where it boots you off if you are using too much bandwidth, for obvious reasons.

AFAICT, and AFAIK from reading Amtrak's public statements on the issue, all single-level (including long-distance) trains now have the official Nomad Digital-supported AmtrakConnect wifi.

Additionally, it seems they're working on getting it installed on the Superliner LD fleet. The car I'm sitting in now on the CL has an AmtrakConnect network showing. However, when I connect to it, I do not receive an IP address (only a self-assigned one). I suspect the access point does not have anything to talk to upstream (either the train is missing the gateway router or there's a break in the chain (I'm in the last coach) and it's unable to talk to the gateway.

I had wi-fi in the sleeper on the crescent last week, not bad. remember, it is not scaled for streaming video entertainment.....
They have some system in place where it boots you off if you are using too much bandwidth, for obvious reasons.
I don't think that's correct. I am about as bandwidth-intensive of a user as anyone is (short of torrenting or anything like that). I have never been booted off of Amtrak's wifi. The system Amtrak uses, installed and managed by Nomad Digital, does extensive packet shaping to prevent any one user from hogging all the bandwidth. On Amfleet cars, it limits each user to 768kbps downstream; on Acela, it limits each user to about 3mbps (based on my testing).

The Nomad Digital system is pretty impressive: it successfully manages an entire trainload of users and balances that load over four carriers (AT&T, Sprint, T-Mobile, and Verizon, where available) using eight modem cards/radios.

On the other hand, though, frankly, 768kbps is too slow for the modern web, and it can be difficult to load even image-rich sites (even newspaper articles) over that connection, much less Google Maps (or, of course, Netflix or YouTube). That said, 300 passengers can consume a lot of data, and the system should spread those limits fairly. I just think that it should be possible to allow users to burst to more than 768kbps if there's headroom in the uplink, which there almost certainly is most of the time or on an empty train.

The other reports earlier in this thread about SCAs giving users passwords are just a temporary band-aid fix that Amtrak is implementing, whereby they distribute Verizon MiFi devices to some crewmembers (for some sleepers) or semi-permanently attach them to specific cars (Superliner business class and Pacific Parlour Cars). The range and capacity of these is limited (it'd be tough to get a good wifi signal on the opposite end of a car from where the device sits, and the Jetpack devices that Amtrak is using only supports up to 15 concurrent devices). The permanently-installed Nomad Digital systems are much more robust, albeit also capped to much slower per-user speeds (even if they theoretically have a potential backhaul capacity of over a gigabit per second per trainset in some areas, with a more practical capacity of about 80-120mbps per trainset in urban areas and about half that in rural areas [where Sprint and T-Mobile lack coverage], falling to ~10mbps per trainset in very rural [non-4G LTE] areas).

Back