Why no wifi on the Cardinal, explained

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Sigh, another unnecessary mention of politics. Let me put this one to rest right now.
I think you're misunderstanding me. This isn't about GOP vs. DEM. I'm not a fan of either group but that's beside the point in this case. The point is that some politicians go out of their way to base their platform on being fundamentally opposed to funding passenger rail. Extremely divisive folks like the infamous Scott Walker. AT&T is a strong supporter of folks like Mr. Walker. So is Verizon for that matter. Sprint (Softbank) and T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom) are by no means perfect but their level of influence is relatively benign by comparison.

Last edited by a moderator:
Sigh, another unnecessary mention of politics. Let me put this one to rest right now.
I think you're misunderstanding me. This isn't about GOP vs. DEM. I'm not a fan of either group but that's beside the point in this case. The point is that some politicians go out of their way to base their platform on being fundamentally opposed to funding passenger rail. Extremely divisive folks like the infamous Scott Walker. AT&T is a strong supporter of folks like Mr. Walker. So is Verizon for that matter. Sprint (Softbank) and T-Mobile (Deutsche Telekom) are by no means perfect but their level of influence is relatively benign by comparison.

I really doubt that any support of Walker by AT&T and/or Verizon is based on opposition to passenger rail. It's probably based on communications issues or who gets the state's wireless contract.

AT&T is run by ultra conservatives with social agendas. People with social agendas are often so consumed by it as to be self defeating. S. Truett Cathy (Chik-Fil-A) is an illustrative example.

I'm assuming that building in the Wi-Fi gear is much simpler and cheaper than the retrofits they had to do on the Acelas, Regionals, and state-sponsored trains. So to build it in on CAF's 25 sleepers, 25 diners, and 10 bag-dorms should not cost much.
I expect the Viewliner 2s will have Wi-Fi built-in, but without a base station in the Amfleet II cafe car, they won't be able to communicate with the 3G/4G cell systems. I also expect the baggage cars will have Wi-Fi so the crew can continue to use the Wi-Fi for data communications when they are in the baggage car, but their own issued iPhones are not getting a signal. The few windows in the baggage car means that cell phones will not work very well when the doors are closed.
Amtrak states in its latest budget and 5 year financial plan document that it plans to add Wi-Fi to the LD trains, but it does not provide a timeline. It is going to cost money to add WiFi to 145 Amfleet IIs, 50 Viewliner Is, and 429 Superliners.

If I were Amtrak, I'd focus Wifi on retrofitting the single-levels. Most of the Superliner routes have *long* dead zones. The Viewliner routes, not as much, Cardinal excepted.

Why One West Virginia Town Banned Cell Phones

Only four hours west of Washington, D.C., there is a town where cell phones and wireless Internet are outlawed. Commercial radios are banned, and microwaves aren't welcome either.

Green Bank might sound like a Luddite's dreamscape, but the West Virginia hamlet's self-imposed blackout is being done all in the name of science: Green Bank is home to the world's largest radio telescope, a 100-meters-in-diameter dish that is the crown jewel of the National Radio Astronomy Observatory.

By measuring radio waves emitted from objects in space, the Robert C. Byrd Green Bank Telescope can go where optical telescopes can't. It lets scientists "see" parts of the universe that are invisible to the human eye, giving them the power to study far-off galaxies and the lives of stars and discover new planets.

Policing interference requires constant vigilance, cooperation, and creativity. When a crew sees a spike, they hop in a diesel truck equipped with antennas to track down the culprit.But to do its job, the telescope needs complete radio silence—a tall order in the digital age, even in a town with only about 150 residents.

And so, within a 10-mile radius of the observatory, Wi-Fi, cell phones, and radios are flat-out banned. And the zone extends further into a 13,000-square-mile area in West Virginia, Pennsylvania, and Virginia where the use of airwaves is heavily restricted. The restrictions are part of Congress's 1958 decision to build the National Radio Quiet Zone to protect the NRAO.

Reminds me of when Taco Bell was first getting popular.

WV originally banned any Taco Bell from opening in their state on account of the fact that one phone company was sufficient.

Reminds me of when Taco Bell was first getting popular.

WV originally banned any Taco Bell from opening in their state on account of the fact that one phone company was sufficient.
You are such a jerk. I honest-to-god checked Snopes for that. :angry:

WVA is thirty miles away,,,,

we have lots of jokes about them,,,

as I am sure they have about us Ohio (say it as one syllable)

but what we think is funny

may not be universally shared,,,,,,

Bell, Taco or not, excluded.

Good decent hard working people with a few relatives

of questionable ilk,,,

like any family

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back