Why don't the attendants want to bring the meal to my room?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
We are planning a trip on the Texas Eagle this summer and were hoping to have our meals served at the room after a recent experience on the Silver Meteor (standing at the entrance of the dining car on a very bumpy stretch of tracks for over an hour past our reservation time and repeating the process for 1 1/2 hours at breakfast the next morning). I do not know if our horrendous dining car experience is the norm as we've only been on one other long distance train some years ago (no problems with service back then).

I do have mobility issues and use a handicapp placard. Should I have some proof of my disability to be served in room? Note from neurologist or something similiar?

We are planning a trip on the Texas Eagle this summer and were hoping to have our meals served at the room after a recent experience on the Silver Meteor (standing at the entrance of the dining car on a very bumpy stretch of tracks for over an hour past our reservation time and repeating the process for 1 1/2 hours at breakfast the next morning). I do not know if our horrendous dining car experience is the norm as we've only been on one other long distance train some years ago (no problems with service back then).

I do have mobility issues and use a handicapp placard. Should I have some proof of my disability to be served in room? Note from neurologist or something similiar?
No, despite what you might have been misled to believe in this thread, meal service in your room is most definitely available to all passengers. Simply inform your SCA when you board that you'd like to take your meals in your room, no further explanation necessary or required. And be sure to express your appreciation to your SCA appropriately!

I think your experience is more an exception than the rule. I've never had to wait long to be seated. For lunch one time I did get put on the wait list and went back to my room until they called me.

I think your experience is more an exception than the rule. I've never had to wait long to be seated. For lunch one time I did get put on the wait list and went back to my room until they called me.
I also think/hope your experience was an exception. Were they calling reservation times down to the dining car, or did they just expect people to show up at the correct time?

In most of my trips, the dining car staff has stressed (over the intercom) NOT to come down to the dining car at your reservation time. Instead, they would page each group once they had time to serve them. For example, if you had dinner reservations for 7:15, you weren't supposed to go down to the dining car at 7:15 - instead, you were supposed to wait until they paged the 7:15 diners, which may not be until 7:30, 7:45, or later. On some occasions, they've even asked people in line to go back to the lounge until their time was called.

It's very possible that bad attendants simply let things get behind and then never warned anyone about it, but I have not experienced this. In fact, every dining car attendant I have encountered has been very much against having people wait (and clog up the entrance to the dining car) if they weren't ready to seat them yet.

I also think/hope your experience was an exception. Were they calling reservation times down to the dining car, or did they just expect people to show up at the correct time?

In most of my trips, the dining car staff has stressed (over the intercom) NOT to come down to the dining car at your reservation time. Instead, they would page each group once they had time to serve them. For example, if you had dinner reservations for 7:15, you weren't supposed to go down to the dining car at 7:15 - instead, you were supposed to wait until they paged the 7:15 diners, which may not be until 7:30, 7:45, or later. On some occasions, they've even asked people in line to go back to the lounge until their time was called.

It's very possible that bad attendants simply let things get behind and then never warned anyone about it, but I have not experienced this. In fact, every dining car attendant I have encountered has been very much against having people wait (and clog up the entrance to the dining car) if they weren't ready to seat them yet.
Using a color code would avoid confusion.

"Now serving all passengers with a RED dinner reservation."

The registration paper that goes with your placard, and a photocopy of the placard (or the actual placard if you won't be leaving it on your parked car) should do it. In addition, tell the reservation agent you are disabled and may need some or all meals in your room. The SCA will probably be looking for you when you board. Then you can say you would like to try to make it to the diner, discuss the issues, and let her/him know before each meal. I usually let them know at the meal before. For meals in my room, they are most accurate when I write down my order including 2nd and 3rd choices.

If I was supervising employees who showed that type of attitude they would be IMMEDIATELY fired and in this case told to be off the train at the next stop.
So...no one else in that car would have an attendant for the rest of the trip?? Nice for customer service...see, not quite as simple as it seems...

If I was supervising employees who showed that type of attitude they would be IMMEDIATELY fired and in this case told to be off the train at the next stop.
So...no one else in that car would have an attendant for the rest of the trip?? Nice for customer service...see, not quite as simple as it seems...
Better no service at all than snarky eye-rolling service.

The registration paper that goes with your placard, and a photocopy of the placard (or the actual placard if you won't be leaving it on your parked car) should do it. In addition, tell the reservation agent you are disabled and may need some or all meals in your room. The SCA will probably be looking for you when you board. Then you can say you would like to try to make it to the diner, discuss the issues, and let her/him know before each meal. I usually let them know at the meal before. For meals in my room, they are most accurate when I write down my order including 2nd and 3rd choices.
I'm sorry but I would have to disagree with them having to provide "proof" of their need. It's really none of their business if I am disabled, that might be a very personal thing to the rider. If I request my meal in a timely manner so that the SCA is aware of my request, then that should be proof enough that I would like to dine in my room.

Confusion? What's confusing about "don't show up until we call your reservation time"?
"don't show up until we call your reservation time"?
Who said that?
Wow, this is turning into a version of "Who's on First?"

In most cases, the chief dining car attendant (I forget the exact title) calls down the reservation times in groups. If you have a dinner reservation at 7:00, you're not supposed to just go down there at 7:00, you're supposed to wait until they actually call your group to the dining car. Previous poster "Pooh" (say that three times fast) waited 60-90 minutes at the entrance to the dining car, so something went seriously wrong there.

However, even though I don't want to pooh-pooh Pooh's complaint, Pooh stated that they had to wait 90 minutes for their breakfast reservation, but AFAIK Amtrak doesn't take breakfast reservations on any long-distance train.

Last edited by a moderator:
How are you to know iif they call your 7:00PM dinner reservastion at 8:15PM if the intercom is not functioning?

How are you to know iif they call your 7:00PM dinner reservastion at 8:15PM if the intercom is not functioning?
Exactly.

I've mentioned before where I saw a group of 3 deaf ladies who were told to wait until there time... they waited patiently in the lounge car and when they came back to the diner they were told "we made a final call, the diner is closed now" I wanted to get there names and call a lawyer myself I was so mad.

Personally, I do the same thing on Amtrak that I do when I have a reservation at any restaurant. If it's getting near the time I was told & haven't been called, then I go check and ask how much longer it will be. Then, I come back again at that time. This works whether you're deaf, or your intercom doesn't work, or whatever.

Personally, I do the same thing on Amtrak that I do when I have a reservation at any restaurant. If it's getting near the time I was told & haven't been called, then I go check and ask how much longer it will be. Then, I come back again at that time. This works whether you're deaf, or your intercom doesn't work, or whatever.
It would be sad if they called you 1/2 hour early, but you didn't know that because the intercom didn't work, and you're told "the diner is closed now".

I appreciate all my fellow Amtrak lovers painting an aire of optimism here. However, my experience on the Silvers have been similar to yours. It's not really the train that determines the experience, but rather the workload and how the crew manages it that makes or breaks the dining experience. 

Honestly, the Silvers and the Texas Eagle are both wildly popular trains. When they are sold out, dining can be a real problem. Now, for sleeping car passengers, they will prioritize you over coach passengers (which stinks that they can't rake in more cash revenue). That all being said, you CAN and WILL be served in your room. I cannot guarantee that it won't take an hour and a half from the time you order your food until you get it. But you'll be in the comfort of your room.

As already mentioned over and over again, this is a service provided by the crew. All you need to do is ask, be reasonable (ie: don't tell them at 7PM and expect food at your room by 7:30), and if you get ANY huff from them, take down their name and call customer relations.

Last edited by a moderator:
First of all... the passengers who were deaf came at the reservation time, were told to go and wait in the lounge. They waited patiently, and then when they came back to check.. they were told that a last call had been made and the diner was closed. The passengers were obviously deaf.. the LSA forgot about them, simple as that.

Second of all.. you say you do the same thing at Amtrak as you do at any restaurant. What restaurant do you know of where you have to walk the length of 3 train cars to get back to your sleeping car and then listen for an announcement that may or may not work?

All of this is good reason Amtrak needs to employee or contract undercover agents to look for this type of behavior. Posing as "normal" passengers, they will either suddenly come out from cover when uncalled for behavior from an Amtrak employee is encountered, firing or suspending them on the spot. Or if they are on contract, they will simply file a report at the end of the trip and any discipline or terminations will come then.

A little fear can go a long way in motivation.

It should be noted that according to the Americans with Disabilities Act, employees in public services are prohibited from asking anyone what their disability is. They have to accept the word of the person with a disability. This is to prevent PWDs from being humiliated in public. Therefore nobody needs to have "proof" of their disability such as a disability card.

Common sense can prevail. In my own case, as soon as I start speaking it is obvious that I am a deaf person. I've never been asked to show an audiogram to prove I'm deaf.

On the other hand, I've been through that crap with dining car LSAs. When the Zephyr was full, I once or twice had to make a nuisance of myself asking the LSA if my name has been called yet. Most of the time, however, they do remember and come into the lounge car to collect me when it's time.

Generally, cheeriness begets cheeriness. If one gets aboard a train with the attitude that the LSA or SCA is going to be lousy, then they often are. But if one is friendly and understanding, one usually gets the same thing in return.

It should be noted that according to the Americans with Disabilities Act, employees in public services are prohibited from asking anyone what their disability is. They have to accept the word of the person with a disability. This is to prevent PWDs from being humiliated in public. Therefore nobody needs to have "proof" of their disability such as a disability card.

Common sense can prevail. In my own case, as soon as I start speaking it is obvious that I am a deaf person. I've never been asked to show an audiogram to prove I'm deaf.

On the other hand, I've been through that crap with dining car LSAs. When the Zephyr was full, I once or twice had to make a nuisance of myself asking the LSA if my name has been called yet. Most of the time, however, they do remember and come into the lounge car to collect me when it's time.

Generally, cheeriness begets cheeriness. If one gets aboard a train with the attitude that the LSA or SCA is going to be lousy, then they often are. But if one is friendly and understanding, one usually gets the same thing in return.
Good to hear your experience. There's a good chance I will be "alone" on my trip out west later this year. I figured I'd be proactive and let the SCA and LSA know of my hearing difficulties and ask that they make sure I "hear" when they call my reservation to come to the diner. But I will also walk to the diner if I feel I might have missed the call, just to check.

First of all... the passengers who were deaf came at the reservation time, were told to go and wait in the lounge. They waited patiently, and then when they came back to check.. they were told that a last call had been made and the diner was closed. The passengers were obviously deaf.. the LSA forgot about them, simple as that.
Second of all.. you say you do the same thing at Amtrak as you do at any restaurant. What restaurant do you know of where you have to walk the length of 3 train cars to get back to your sleeping car and then listen for an announcement that may or may not work?
First of all, I'm not trying to excuse what that LSA did. He or she forgot about them, and then they had no food, and that's clearly a mistake. Hopefully, they were able to provide something from the cafe car, or something like that.

What I'm saying is that as a passenger (or again, at any restaurant), most people wouldn't just wait indefinitely, for hours on end. Come on, if you have a dinner reservation at a restaurant at 7:00 pm, and when you get there, they tell you "I'm sorry, your table isn't ready, it will be just a few more minutes," will you wait quietly for the rest of the night until the restaurant closes and you're forced to go home? Most people wouldn't do that. They'd go back to the hostess every once in a while and ask if the table is ready yet, and probably get more insistent and more angry about it the later it gets.

I'm not deaf, and I'm not disabled. I have yet to travel in a car whose intercom was entirely broken, but there have been MANY times - maybe even MOST meals - where the LSA forgot to call my reservation. Again, if I'm at 7:00, I hear them call the 6:30 people, and then the 6:45 people... and then nothing. I don't just sit in my car forever, I'll wait a reasonable time, and then go check and see if they're ready yet. If it's going to be a while, I may go back to my car, but if it's just a short while, I'll wait in the lounge. I don't see why this is such a hard thing to do.

Now, if people are disabled or deaf, that's a different story. If a disabled person shows up a few minutes early, the LSA should show some flexibility and seat them next. I think most other passengers would be willing to let a disabled person have a table first, rather than make them stand.

This is a case of "managing to the exception". The existing rules of restaurant service already work in an Amtrak dining car, the LSA just needs to follow those guidelines and show some common sense. Sure, you can bring up cases where the LSA failed to do so, but that's a training issue.

Lastly, restaurants have overcome this problem in other ways. Many chains now give you a "buzzer" that vibrates, makes noises, and flashes lights when your table is ready. This would be a great idea on Amtrak trains, and would solve all the problems you've mentioned, and many others. It's probably "off the shelf" technology at this point. I wish Amtrak had the money for this sort of thing, but if they're cutting back on the flowers at the table, it's clear that they don't.

Another option might be, if the LSA would be allowed to use his/her cell phone for this, is for the deaf at least, to give the LSA their cellphone # and have the LSA text them when it's time for them to come to the diner.

Lastly, restaurants have overcome this problem in other ways. Many chains now give you a "buzzer" that vibrates, makes noises, and flashes lights when your table is ready. This would be a great idea on Amtrak trains, and would solve all the problems you've mentioned, and many others. It's probably "off the shelf" technology at this point. I wish Amtrak had the money for this sort of thing, but if they're cutting back on the flowers at the table, it's clear that they don't.
This does work but it scares the bejaysus out of me every time. Those buzzer thingies are not subtle at all.

This does work but it scares the bejaysus out of me every time. Those buzzer thingies are not subtle at all.
I know what you mean, as you end up holding a hand grenade with no idea when or how it is going to go off. Kill the sounds, soften the vibration and just let the lights flash-that should get the job done without collateral damage :unsure: :eek: :huh:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back