Why do you travel by train?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Avoiding TSA in particular, and searches, scans, screenings and other forms of forced safety in general, is 95% of the reason I travel by Amtrak and the factor that drove me to start taking trains in the first place. I don't consent to others in positions of authority keeping me safe - I insist that any safety I enjoy come from my own actions and measures I institute myself to provide it for myself. DHS and TSA disagree with this, so as a result I go as far out of my way as necessary (and have voluntarily incurred severe inconveniences in the past in the interest of doing so) to avoid them.

Aside from that, the comfort, scenery, social milieu on trains and other amenities make up the rest. Nothing like the moment when you get on the train, close the door to your sleeper and enjoy roomy, comfortable travel in your own private corner of the world.

I enjoy traveling by train because to me it is so relaxing. I can sit and look out the window at the passing scenery, and not have to be doing the driving. I have been on many routes several times, and the scenery never gets old no matter how many times I have been on that same route. I even to some degree enjoy the social aspect, though I am very introverted. Something about train travel tends to help me open up just a tiny bit, to the degree I am able to do so.

I began riding trains as a three year old lad in 1963, and have enjoyed it ever since, though my experiences with train travel had been few and far between until just over a decade ago. I do enjoy a good road trip, too, as I can go at my own pace and not be limited to where the train goes. I do fly, too, and have since I was seven years old. I'd rather take the train but don't usually have time to travel by train both directions. If I lived in a more centrally located spot in the country than the Pacific Northwest, it might make a difference. As it is, I fly once or twice a year. Train travel is much more relaxing but air travel in my situation is a necessity.

Last edited by a moderator:
Travel exclusively by car (local) and train for long distance trips. My wife feels the same way. The train provides a relaxing comfortable way to arrive at your destination. We have an opportunity to travel as ladies and gentlemen and not be treated as an animal on an aircraft. When I look at the TSA boarding lines at the airports they look exactly like lines of prisoners entering a correctional facility. The inside of an aircraft passenger compartment is a capsule of people all breathing the same filthy, bacteria and disease laden air. The seats are built for a midget, the leg room getting tighter. The whole experience is negative and to top it off you then risk the luck of the draw by being seated next to someone with very poor sanitary habits. Its a filthy, disgusting, dehumanizing, degrading experience that people accept like sheep. What does that tell you?

Travel exclusively by car (local) and train for long distance trips. My wife feels the same way. The train provides a relaxing comfortable way to arrive at your destination. We have an opportunity to travel as ladies and gentlemen and not be treated as an animal on an aircraft. When I look at the TSA boarding lines at the airports they look exactly like lines of prisoners entering a correctional facility. The inside of an aircraft passenger compartment is a capsule of people all breathing the same filthy, bacteria and disease laden air. The seats are built for a midget, the leg room getting tighter. The whole experience is negative and to top it off you then risk the luck of the draw by being seated next to someone with very poor sanitary habits. Its a filthy, disgusting, dehumanizing, degrading experience that people accept like sheep. What does that tell you?
Well thank you so much for describing me and others in such a nasty way. I'm not an animal or a prisoner. I'm not some filthy, bacteria and disease laden person poisoning your air. I'm not a midget, but I do know the seat pitch is tight for those taller than me.

I do not find flying "a filthy, disgusting, dehumanizing, degrading experience that people accept like sheep."

You must live in a bubble because those same people on the planes ride trains, shop in stores, go to country clubs, theaters, etc etc.

Well thank you so much for describing me and others in such a nasty way. I'm not an animal or a prisoner. I'm not some filthy, bacteria and disease laden person poisoning your air. I'm not a midget, but I do know the seat pitch is tight for those taller than me.I do not find flying "a filthy, disgusting, dehumanizing, degrading experience that people accept like sheep."

You must live in a bubble because those same people on the planes ride trains, shop in stores, go to country clubs, theaters, etc etc.
What she said goes double for me. I am tired of being called a sheep (maybe not personally, but thrown in as a group) because I fly. Next year I plan to take myself for a birthday gift to Hawaii. How am I supposed to get there??? Swim???? And a couple of years ago, I went to Alaska to ride the Alaska Railroad. I had neither the time nor the money to take a cruise there. How was I supposed to get there????Walk???? I can appreciate the fact you and your wife don't fly. Perfectly fair, perfectly reasonable, perfectly fine. I too believe that taking the train is so much more relaxing. I get that. But to demean everyone for choosing to fly because YOU abhor it doesn't cut it with me. Among the foibles of the human condition I find the most disgusting are arrogance and condescension. You seem to have an overabundance of both.

Well thank you so much for describing me and others in such a nasty way. I'm not an animal or a prisoner. I'm not some filthy, bacteria and disease laden person poisoning your air. I'm not a midget, but I do know the seat pitch is tight for those taller than me.I do not find flying "a filthy, disgusting, dehumanizing, degrading experience that people accept like sheep."

What she said goes double for me. I am tired of being called a sheep (maybe not personally, but thrown in as a group) because I fly. Next year I plan to take myself for a birthday gift to Hawaii. How am I supposed to get there??? Swim???? And a couple of years ago, I went to Alaska to ride the Alaska Railroad. I had neither the time nor the money to take a cruise there. How was I supposed to get there????Walk???? I can appreciate the fact you and your wife don't fly. Perfectly fair, perfectly reasonable, perfectly fine. I too believe that taking the train is so much more relaxing. I get that. But to demean everyone for choosing to fly because YOU abhor it doesn't cut it with me. Among the foibles of the human condition I find the most disgusting are arrogance and condescension. You seem to have an overabundance of both.
Well said!

I agree with both of the above!

I only fly if I have to. And even then, a trip by train is included in there somewhere. Later this year, on a multi-segment trip, parts 1 & 3 will be by air (due to time constraints) and parts 2 & 4 will be by train!

I do know that my doctors stopped me from flying for a couple years because of the air quality on planes. It is a fact that only the pilots get continuous fresh air for safety reasons, while the cabin gets recycled air. The issues with this for my doctors is that others who may have or just starting to get sick are putting out germs that the air system sucks in and the blows out through the air vents into your face. It is not possible for the airlines to provide continuous fresh air for the cabin. I don't feel unclean on a plane, though sometimes the bathroom can become a challenge. The only unhealthy aspect of flying is the air system. On trains air is circulated with inside and outside air and it is also possible to redistribute someone's germs, but with the introduction of fresh air you are not circulating the same air over and over. I have always preferred train travel, but schedules have made flying or driving a necessity way too often.

You people need to educate yourselves on how airplanes actually work and stop spreading dumb stuff like this.

Air inside the fuselage is changed over many, many times per hour.

Its a filthy, disgusting, dehumanizing, degrading experience that people accept like sheep. What does that tell you?
It tells me that you're a poorly educated, narrow minded person that can't think outside of your own experience and can't imagine a world where it is acceptable for people to hold differing viewpoints and have different priorities.

Perhaps you should talk less and listen more to the people around you and try and understand their viewpoint rather than insult them constantly.

Ryan is spot on as can be seen here: http://www.askthepilot.com/questionanswers/cabin-air-quality/ Some think cabin air should all be nice fresh air from the outside, but fail to recognize that above 18,000 feet there is insufficient oxygen available in the low pressure outside air to sustain normal human functions. That's why there are oxygen masks for all passengers and why cabin air can't all be from the outside - unless you want to fly below 18,000 feet. Above about 18,000 feet be thankful you're not breathing uncompressed 100% outside air - mild hypoxia is not fun at all.

Technically, since the air is completely changed over every few minutes, you are breathing 100% outside air, just more of it than is out there due to the beauty of air compression. Some of it has just been in the cabin for a little bit longer than others. :D

There are a lot of documented studies regarding poor air quality in recirculated airplane air.

But to be fair, most of them were from the days when they allowed smoking on planes. That... is no good.

Even the newer studies which show poor air quality are of older airplanes. You may be better off in a recently-built plane than in a 737-300. The complaints about air quality have been going on for a long time, and it appears the manufacturers eventually responded.

I'm guessing many airplane air quality complaints are about low humidity and exhaust gas odors. At altitude, there is very little moisture in the outside air and I don't think many (if any) airplanes have humidifiers. On the ground at the gate, wind direction plays a role in blowing exhaust gasses from the idling engines toward the air system's intake, which is usually at the aft end of the airplane.

Why do I travel by train?

#1: It is a scenic journey through whatever part of America I am traveling.

#2: My first train trip was in the early 1950's as a child with many other trips following. Returning for another rail trip is a journey down memory lane.

#3: I have met some very interesting and pleasant people on my Amtrak journeys and have shared travel experiences with them. I have observed some "other" characters as well as one "gentleman" on the SWC that had to be removed not to long after we left Los Angeles.

#4: Breakfast, Lunch, and/or Dinner in the Dining Car is still a special occasion for me.

#5: Even flying domestic First Class with TSA Pre-Check, Amtrak is a more pleasant travel experience.

#6: I am blessed with the time and resources available to make such trips.

I travel by train to Chicago because it takes about the same amount of time as driving, and I can do homework, read, and relax. The cost is higher than gas and tolls (parking is moot, as I park for free), but the benefit of being able to rest instead of driving balances that out, especially during the winter.

In the past, I traveled on the SWC every year because my then-boyfriend was afraid of flying, so it was the only way to see his family for the holidays. I also traveled on many LD routes I'd never been on before, and I was able to see some states that were new to me.

When I had the choice of plane or train, my choice depended on a few factors:

If my goal was to see the city at the endpoint and/or a person in that city, I flew so I'd have more time in that city/with that person. When you only have a week for vacation and you're dying to see some new city or a friend you haven't seen in five years, time is more important than scenery.

If my goal was to see the scenery along the route and/or experience a new train, I took Amtrak. In those cases, the train was the vacation.

If I was on a business trip, I flew since it saved time. The exception was a trip to Dallas; I'd never been on the Texas Eagle, and my company gave me permission to take the train as long as I covered the roomette charge.

I honestly enjoy flying. I love the hustle and bustle of airports. When I have enough time and I'm in a new airport, I wander around and check it out. I get through the TSA check pretty quickly, unless I'm stuck behind a bunch of idiots who can't figure out the belt/shoes/tray system.

Takeoff and landing are my favorite part. I always get a window seat so I can watch. :) As far as "fresh air" is concerned, I just turn the nozzle so it points at my face. As a result, I never feel like it's stuffy. I think being near the window helps since it's colder and doesn't feel as confined. Plus, I'm 5'5", so the seat pitch isn't an issue. If the plane has screens, I keep it set to the map because I like to see where we are when I glance up from my book, just like people who watch maps on the train.

People claim you can't see anything from the plane, but I've seen many wonderful things. If it's cloudy, I feel like I'm in some awesome fantasy movie where we live on top of the clouds. I've see the Rockies in the U.S. and Canada. I've seen the salt flats in Utah. I've seen Chicago's skyscrapers looking super itty bitty, not to mention the beauty of Chicago's grid at night. On a flight from London, Ontario to Winnipeg, we flew across northern Michigan and I was able to pick out I-75, Houghton Lake, Sleeping Bear Dunes, and the Mackinac Bridge.

Yeah, clouds get boring after a few hours, but I could argue that some of the scenery from the train gets boring after a few hours too. I've seen enough junkyards, grain silos, and corn fields to last a lifetime. ;)

So, honestly, it's a toss-up. I enjoy traveling, whether by train or plane, so it just comes down to time, money, and other circumstances.

I've said this before, but I get severely motion-sick on airplanes -- and not in trains. This is one of the more important reasons for me. I literally have to look out the window through the entire plane flight to avoid being nauseated, which means I cannot fly without a window seat, ever.

You people need to educate yourselves on how airplanes actually work and stop spreading dumb stuff like this.

Air inside the fuselage is changed over many, many times per hour.

Its a filthy, disgusting, dehumanizing, degrading experience that people accept like sheep. What does that tell you?
It tells me that you're a poorly educated, narrow minded person that can't think outside of your own experience and can't imagine a world where it is acceptable for people to hold differing viewpoints and have different priorities.

Perhaps you should talk less and listen more to the people around you and try and understand their viewpoint rather than insult them constantly.
LOL, oh Ryan I don't agree with everything that you write, but because of your calling out the dumb posts, I can hold my tongue and not get banned :p

I've said this before, but I get severely motion-sick on airplanes -- and not in trains. This is one of the more important reasons for me. I literally have to look out the window through the entire plane flight to avoid being nauseated, which means I cannot fly without a window seat, ever.
I have thrown up on airplanes, not once but twice.

I'm a lifelong train enthusiast. I'll take train travel over cars and planes! The train seats are very comfortable, and I find trains to be safer than cars and planes!

I ride the train for the journey not the destination. I love being able to shut myself up in a sleeper and watch the world go by.

I've been in horrid delays and even a derailment, but I'd still take rail travel over flying. Flying is a necessary evil to get someplace quickly.

I used to take cross country train trips just about every year when I was single and didn't have a kid. Now I can't go as often only about every three years but it is worth the weight.

I've taken

SWC: ABQ-CHI

CZ: CHI-SLC; SLC-CHI; CHI-EMY;

EB: CHI-SPK; CHI-SEA; SEA-PDX; PDX-CHI

CL: WAS-CHI; RKV-CHI; CHI-RKV;

AKRR: Anchorage-Fairbanks; Fairbanks-Anchorage;

VIA: Vancouver-Toronto

Next up CS: SEA-BUR

I'm a lifelong train enthusiast. I'll take train travel over cars and planes! The train seats are very comfortable, and I find trains to be safer than cars and planes!
Planes are safer than trains, but the difference is slight.

Both are much safer than cars. :)

If my goal was to see the city at the endpoint and/or a person in that city, I flew so I'd have more time in that city/with that person. When you only have a week for vacation and you're dying to see some new city or a friend you haven't seen in five years, time is more important than scenery.

If my goal was to see the scenery along the route and/or experience a new train, I took Amtrak. In those cases, the train was the vacation.
This! I have enjoyed my Amtrak trips so far, and I'm itching to take a LD train someday, but my vacation time comes in fits and starts, so it's mostly flying for me unless I decide to take a quick round trip (1-2 days out, 1-2 days back) on a LD train just for the experience of the train itself.

This! I have enjoyed my Amtrak trips so far, and I'm itching to take a LD train someday, but my vacation time comes in fits and starts, so it's mostly flying for me unless I decide to take a quick round trip (1-2 days out, 1-2 days back) on a LD train just for the experience of the train itself.
Yup! If I were retired or had lots of vacation time, not to mention money, I'd take LD trains almost every time I wanted to go somewhere. :)

Planes are safer than trains, but the difference is slight.
Both are much safer than cars. :)
How are planes safer than trains? I hardly ever see jet crashes with any survivors.
Gimly gliderMiracle on the Hudson

British Airways 38...

Need I go on?

Back