Why did the fare go down?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

cindylou

Train Attendant
I booked a trip on Amtrak many months ago (probably in April?) from GBB to CHI to WAS to FTL for January 2010...same as last year...going on a cruise! Anyway, the fare I paid was approximately $1440 for the 2 of us; that's with roomettes from Chcago to Ft. Lauderdale.

Just for the fun of it, tonight I went to the Amtrak reservations site and pulled up an identical trip with identical accomodations...same dates, same trains, etc. But the fare is approximately $200 cheaper! Why would that be? I thought it was best to book as early as possible to get the lowest bucket? Or is it maybe some kind of glitch in the reservation system?

Can anyone explain?

Thanks!

Cindy

I booked a trip on Amtrak many months ago (probably in April?) from GBB to CHI to WAS to FTL for January 2010...same as last year...going on a cruise! Anyway, the fare I paid was approximately $1440 for the 2 of us; that's with roomettes from Chcago to Ft. Lauderdale.
Just for the fun of it, tonight I went to the Amtrak reservations site and pulled up an identical trip with identical accomodations...same dates, same trains, etc. But the fare is approximately $200 cheaper! Why would that be? I thought it was best to book as early as possible to get the lowest bucket? Or is it maybe some kind of glitch in the reservation system?

Can anyone explain?

Thanks!

Cindy
I will let others explain the myriad of reasons that you can sometimes see fares decline after you purchase your ticket(s). What I can tell you is that it is my experience that you can contact Amtrak reservations and re-book at the new lower fare. How the process would work depends on whether you simply have a paid but unticketed reservation or a paid reservation for which paper tickets have been issued.

What probably haapened is this:

Someone bought a ticket months ago. They got a low(er) bucket fare. Then for some reason, they cancelled their ticket.

When a ticket (either for a room or coach) is cancelled, that room or seat is put back in inventory - at the original bucket that was paid! (Even if the current bucket is higher!)

Example: The current bucket is selling rooms at $400. Someone who paid $250 cancels! The next room sold is sold for $250, the room after that is sold for $400!

Sometimes, you get lucky calling or checking at the right time!

Ah ha! I see. Well, here's another tidbit...we actually had a voucher that we applied to the original reservation. If I call Amtrak and see about the lower fare...will they transfer my voucher amount to the new reservation, or is the voucher amount no longer valid since I used it on the first reservation?

Cindy

Ah ha! I see. Well, here's another tidbit...we actually had a voucher that we applied to the original reservation. If I call Amtrak and see about the lower fare...will they transfer my voucher amount to the new reservation, or is the voucher amount no longer valid since I used it on the first reservation? Cindy
Since the voucher is now a ticket you should be able to exchange it. Read the hard copy ticket to look for rules and restrictions.

Thanks for you prompt advice! I called this morning, and was able to make a new reservation at the lower fare, and they honored the original voucher! Hey, that's extra money in our pocket (for pizza at Giordano's during the layovers in Chicago!!) :lol:

Cindy

Thanks for you prompt advice! I called this morning, and was able to make a new reservation at the lower fare, and they honored the original voucher! Hey, that's extra money in our pocket (for pizza at Giordano's during the layovers in Chicago!!) :lol:
Cindy

Hell Yeah,

Go Girl!

RF

A similar situation happened to me in the past. I booked tickets on roomettes from CIN to KIS. I checked the price every few weeks and found that the bedroom price on one of the legs was actually CHEAPER than our roomette price. So I called and 'upgraded' to a bedroom and they gave me the difference back on my card.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back