Why did Fullerton become railfan central?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Spokker

Lead Service Attendant
Edit: In California, that is.

What is it about Fullerton, as opposed to any other station in Orange County, that caused it to become railfan headquarters? Because it has a cafe?

It seems that many stations are run by people who don't want you on the platform unless you have a ticket. Does this policy not exist at Fullerton Station? Are you in fact technically breaking the rules when you loiter at the station without a ticket?

Not that I disagree with it. I'm just curious. It just seems that with the country so security crazy these days, I'm surprised I don't see people told to get lost at Fullerton, when people have been harassed elsewhere for taking photographs and loitering around train stations.

Last edited by a moderator:
I believe Fullerton has a pretty long rail history, mostly with the Santa Fe. A pretty central junction, I think, and remains so. Amtrak's Southwest Chief heads east from Fullerton, and arrives there westbound on the way to L.A. Also a Metrolink transfer point and junction these days.

With all the history, perhaps folks at Fullerton are just more comfortable with trains, and people who like trains.

If you're concerned about security, Spokker, contact Amtrak Special Agent Pat. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to hassle you if you're feeling too safe.

The original UP station and Pacific Electric station are still there, too, both as restaurants, I think. There is also a rail museum in the plaza. The city worked real hard to bring the historical area of town together and I suspect they consider railfans to be part of their solution.

Another security difference between this and other Amtrak stations is the station is shared with other trains.

On another board, of which I'm a member but don't often visit, they have Fullerton Fridays. Meet at the station to chew the fat and take pictures, some of them very good. Better photographers than me.

They also have "Roaming and Foaming" expeditions.

Nice that they chase trains around and get great pics, but I'd rather ride. Everybody railfans (a verb) in their own way.

I heard Fullerton Railroad Days was canceled for this year. What's up with that?

If you're concerned about security, Spokker, contact Amtrak Special Agent Pat. I'm sure he'd be more than happy to hassle you if you're feeling too safe.
I am not concerned about security. It just sounds like you're allowed to loiter at Fullerton Station where other stations are governed by people who don't want you to even stop as you board or depart trains.

I am not concerned about security. It just sounds like you're allowed to loiter at Fullerton Station where other stations are governed by people who don't want you to even stop as you board or depart trains.
Maybe Fullerton has got it right and everyone else has got it wrong?

Fullerton always has lots of railfans. coming home from l.a there was a steam train there live under its own power and there were alot of rail fans.

It's an inside joke.

Though I forget the exact joke.

Aha, here it is: Amtrak Special Agent Pat basically presented himself as the god in charge of keeping an eye on Railfan, The Organization (aka AFA, the Amtrak Railfanning Armada), a known terrorist organization.

We now invoke his name whenever it is determined that his protection is needed to protect the general populace from our insidious activities.

It's an inside joke.

Though I forget the exact joke.

Aha, here it is: Amtrak Special Agent Pat basically presented himself as the god in charge of keeping an eye on Railfan, The Organization (aka AFA, the Amtrak Railfanning Armada), a known terrorist organization.

We now invoke his name whenever it is determined that his protection is needed to protect the general populace from our insidious activities.
but we were put onto the exclusion list which means were not on a watch list is that correct. this is as stupid as when the airlines tell you that your 5 month old baby can't get on the plane cause his name is on a no fly list. Fullerton is like the only place you can railfan without getting in trouble.

I heard Fullerton Railroad Days was canceled for this year. What's up with that?
It was indeed cancelled. Apparently one of the reasons for holding the event was to raise support for a RR museum to be built in Fullerton that the Fullerton Railway Plaza Association wanted. The City council just defeated a measure that would have provided $35 Million for that project. So now the group is looking to find another city in which to build the musuem.

It was indeed cancelled. Apparently one of the reasons for holding the event was to raise support for a RR museum to be built in Fullerton that the Fullerton Railway Plaza Association wanted. The City council just defeated a measure that would have provided $35 Million for that project. So now the group is looking to find another city in which to build the musuem.
Here is the article from the Orange County Reporter:

FULLERTON – Railroad Days, which has drawn more than 30,000 train enthusiasts each May to the Fullerton Transportation Center, has been canceled.

In letters mailed Tuesday to the City Council, the sponsoring Fullerton Railway Plaza Association indicated that the council's denial of a railway museum last month caused a lot of disappointment.

The Plaza Association held the two-day railroad event, in part, to gain support for a rail venue.

"We can't get enough people together to work on this year's Railroad Days," said Fred Canfield, who chaired the venue for the past six years.

He has notified vendors that the decade-old event will not be held this May.

In a 2-2 vote, the council at its Dec. 9 meeting defeated a proposal to include a $35-million rail attraction in the Transportation Center Master Plan. Councilmen Don Bankhead and Richard Jones were willing to give the railroad association six months to raise $10 million to prove there was in interest in the interactive project.

"One of the reasons the council shot down the idea was because they didn't want to spend the money, but we never had a chance to discuss where the money would come from," Canfield said.

Canfield said a committee will meet in February to discuss taking Railroad Days to another city.

I really like hanging out at Fullerton. Yes, you get the Southwest Chief, and you get a mess of Surfliners, Metrolink, and freight to boot. The added benefit of a cafe with beer and coffee is nice. The restaurants around the area are great, too. There's even and In & Out a bit of a hike away (gotta work off the burger anyway).

A shame Fullerton won't host the rail museum. I guess everyone is cutting back.

How long has the Southwest Chief been stopping at Fullerton? Is that where people get off the train for Disneyland?

I'm asking because back in 1988 when I went to Disneyland, I thought we had to take the SWC to LA and then take another train to Fullerton to go to Disneyland. 20 years is too long to know for sure what we did. :blink:

What is it about Fullerton, as opposed to any other station in Orange County, that caused it to become railfan headquarters? Because it has a cafe?
It's possible that Fullerton Station becoming "railfan headquarters" may have originated or at least been an influence when Stephen Grande setup webtrains.com in 1996. IIRC Stephen, originally from Boston MA, early on setup an office at the Fullerton Station and setup a number of live webcams at the station attracting attention to the location. I discovered the website and the webcams following a trip to and from Fullerton on the SWC back in 1998 and returned frequently to view the tracks and platform activity I had experienced live.

In 2005 when they grew too large to remain in the station they moved to a location just a short distance (a few blocks IIRC) from the Fullerton station and within a year outgrew that facility too.

Today they are in located La Planta MO, but you'll need to explore their websites to learn just how expansively they have grown since. :)

How long has the Southwest Chief been stopping at Fullerton? Is that where people get off the train for Disneyland?
I'm asking because back in 1988 when I went to Disneyland, I thought we had to take the SWC to LA and then take another train to Fullerton to go to Disneyland. 20 years is too long to know for sure what we did. :blink:
Yes! Fullerton is the station you would take the SWC to in order to get to Disneyland. The station is right next to South Harbour Blvd and heading south on S. Harbour takes you directly to the enterance to Disneyland.

I don't know for sure how long the SWC has been stopping in Fullerton. I know it's been there since at least 1996 when trainweb.com setup there.

I think the SWC switched to the route through Fullerton sometime in the 90's, but actually the best way to get to Disneyland (as far as hotel pickup) is through Anaheim, one stop south on the Surfliners from Fullerton. Many hotels pick up from that station, but very few (if any) pick up from Fullerton. Thus many passengers switch at Fullerton.

I think the SWC switched to the route through Fullerton sometime in the 90's, but actually the best way to get to Disneyland (as far as hotel pickup) is through Anaheim, one stop south on the Surfliners from Fullerton. Many hotels pick up from that station, but very few (if any) pick up from Fullerton. Thus many passengers switch at Fullerton.
Transferring to the Pacific Surfliner to the Anaheim station is certainly an option, but I don't know if that's the best option if one's going to rent a car. The Fullerton Station is only about 4 miles or 10 minutes from the entrance to Disneyland.

When I went there in 1998 I was picked up by a rental facility that was directly across the street from Disneyland's entrance, but I don't think it is there anymore. At least I couldn't recognize the location when I was there this past summer.

Checking the Hertz site one can reserve a car at Fullerton Hertz location, take a taxi to their facility to pickup your vehicle and they will reimburse the cost of the taxi if you present them with a receipt for the taxi!

Not only the Surfliner, but Metrolink runs to Anaheim from Fullerton. I think that a cab ride to Disney is pretty quick & cheap. Of course, a cab ride from Fullerton isn't that much more.

My best thought would be to hop on an ART bus at Anaheim. Check out this website! Only $4 per person for an all day pass. Cheaper than a cab, for sure!

Not only the Surfliner, but Metrolink runs to Anaheim from Fullerton. I think that a cab ride to Disney is pretty quick & cheap. Of course, a cab ride from Fullerton isn't that much more.
My best thought would be to hop on an ART bus at Anaheim. Check out this website! Only $4 per person for an all day pass. Cheaper than a cab, for sure!
My wife, son and his girlfriend used ART to get to Disneyland from the Marriott next to the Convention Center last summer. The buses were pretty frequent and some even had the ability to ramp on wheel chairs and mobility scooters. I chose not to use it to get me to Disneyland with my rented mobility scooter because we were close enough (about a mile) for me to ride over to Disney and meet my family there. I would definitely recommend ART from the Anaheim Amtrak Station if one's not obtaining a rental. Otherwise I would still terminate at Fullerton and rent my auto from there! :)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back