Why can't I go from St. Petersburg to Miami?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.

PaulM

Engineer
I know this sounds like a classic newbie question, but if I enter STP and MIA, Amtrak.com tells me "Sorry, we cannot find train service matching your request." Now the timetable says bus #6098 arrives in TPA from STP at 10:40AM and #91 departs TPA for MIA at 12:45PM. If it were two trains,the timing would just about be a guaranteed connection.

I doubt this is one of those "but each city pair has to be entered manually" bugs. It's too obvious. I also doubt there is a federal law that says a thruway bus can't meat more than one train. :)

Could #6098 technically be receiving passengers only in Tampa since it is designed to make connections with #98 in Orlando northbound not #91 in Tampa?

I tried to enter this as a multi-city trip and the only bus that comes up for STP to TPA is thruway #6092, not #6098 (the 3:00pm to 3:45pm direct connection with #92).

Last edited by a moderator:
To avoid way to many edits, I found this intinerary via bus to Orlando and on the Meteor down to MIA using as a multi-city ticket. Your not getting a through fare though

Friday, November 8, 2013
6098 Bus (STP - ORL)

Depart:
10:05 am, Fri, Nov 8, 2013
Arrive:
1:00 pm, Fri, Nov 8, 2013
Duration:
2 hr, 55 min
Amenities

• 1 Adult$18.00
  • 1 Reserved Thruway Seat
  • Subtotal $18.00

Friday, November 8, 2013
97 Silver Meteor (ORL - MIA)

Depart:
1:10 pm, Fri, Nov 8, 2013
Arrive:
6:55 pm, Fri, Nov 8, 2013
Duration:
5 hr, 45 min
Amenities

• 1 Adult$43.00
  • 1 Reserved Coach Seat
  • Subtotal $43.00

Terms & Conditions
Total
$61.00

And the "big picture" answer is that Amtrak evidently doesn't think that city pair is worth serving. Because there's

certainly no logistical or operational reason that prevents this connection from happening. I'm sure people in St. Pete

are used to having to trundle over to Tampa for their travel needs. They do it for (most) airline flights, after all. But

it's silly that Amtrak has both the station and the bus in hand, but won't sell you the ticket.

Of course, it's not as though the STP is conveniently located to central St. Petersburg anyhow, so you're probably

getting in a car/taxi to catch Amtrak in the first place.

Could #6098 technically be receiving passengers only in Tampa since it is designed to make connections with #98 in Orlando northbound not #91 in Tampa?
That seems to be the net effect. But it still begs the question of why not kill two birds with one stone.

I found this intinerary via bus to Orlando and on the Meteor down to MIA using as a multi-city ticket. Your not getting a through fare though
At first I though you were joking suggesting the out of the way itinerary with the long bus ride. But it did remind me of the multi-city option; and the only result I got is what I wanted (except no through fare). I didn't see the Orlando routing.

MULTICITY.jpg

Of course, it's not as though the STP is conveniently located to central St. Petersburg anyhow, so you're probably

getting in a car/taxi to catch Amtrak in the first place.
Actually we plan to get around by bike. This will be a vacation; if I wanted to get into a car, I'd stay home. :)

I'm not familiar with the area; but from what I can learn, it looks like you are right about the location. It appears to be in what I would call no-man's land: a built-up highway with strip malls, nondescript businesses, and subdivisions hanging off the road with no through streets. But at least STP does have an agent and baggage service, something you can't say for a lot of stations.

I'm thinking of taking the train from New Mexico to STP, spend a week or so in the Dunedin/Tarpon Springs area, then take the train to MIA and spend a week or so in the Florida Keys. I'm sure when my plans are a little further along, I will be asking advice of the local experts.

I was just in St Pete for the first time and it's a bit of a trek to the STP station. Not bad, but it was about a $30 cab fare from downtown.

St Pete looks to be an awesome place for biking. I've heard good things about the Pinellas (sp?) trail. I wanted to check it out during some free time but the weather was unfavorable. Still, a pleasant city.

Isn't the Silver (Star/Meteor) between Miami and Tampa still being affected by Sunrail disruptions? When are you traveling? The train (at least the 92) that normally goes through Tampa is not stopping there Oct 13 - Nov 13. I remember looking at going from Miami to Tampa/St Petersburg earlier when evaluating my trip, and I could not get consistent results. This may have been due to checking to see the basic schedule versus checking for specific dates that may be in this work period:

http://www.amtrak.com/servlet/ContentServer?c=AM_Alert_C&pagename=am/AM_Alert_C/Alerts_Popup&cid=1251624747503

St Pete looks to be an awesome place for biking. I've heard good things about the Pinellas (sp?) trail. I wanted to check it out during some free time but the weather was unfavorable. Still, a pleasant city.
Your spelling is correct. That trail is actually a former railroad line (but not the one Amtrak used when they served Clearwater and St. Petersburg with rail service).

That's good to hear. I will be looking for a place to stay near the trail, which appears to be about 7 miles from the thruway bus station. My non-negotiable criteria for a vacation spot is Amtrak service and bike friendliness. Last Winter we did San Diego and Oceanside, CA. Two years ago it was Deland, Winter Haven, and Sebring. It's Florida's turn again.

Isn't the Silver (Star/Meteor) between Miami and Tampa still being affected by Sunrail disruptions? When are you traveling?
Early January, so it shouldn't be a problem.

That's good to hear. I will be looking for a place to stay near the trail, which appears to be about 7 miles from the thruway bus station. My non-negotiable criteria for a vacation spot is Amtrak service and bike friendliness. Last Winter we did San Diego and Oceanside, CA. Two years ago it was Deland, Winter Haven, and Sebring. It's Florida's turn again.

Isn't the Silver (Star/Meteor) between Miami and Tampa still being affected by Sunrail disruptions? When are you traveling?
Early January, so it shouldn't be a problem.
Please note that motorists in Central Florida are not "bicycle friendly." Trails are much better than roads. I used to cycle fairly regularly in Central Florida, and have had stuff thrown at me from motorists. :(

Last edited by a moderator:
Please note that motorists in Central Florida are not "bicycle friendly." Trails are much better than roads. I used to cycle fairly regularly in Central Florida, and have had stuff thrown at me from motorists. :(
I can't speak for the Orlando/Winter Park area, but during the above mention trip to Deland, Winter Haven, Lakeland, and Sebring, we didn't experience the bicycle derangement syndrome you mention. But I will say that a lot of what were once country roads had become heavily traveled thoroughfares without sidewalk, shoulder, or bike lane, in other words a product of the r_dn__k school of highway design.

I'm still smarting from a trip to Orlando in 1979. I was biking from a motel in Orlando to Disney World; and no sooner did I turn into the access road, than a Disney cop pulled me over wanting to know what I was doing. Duh! When it was established that I had funds to pay for admission, he softened somewhat and took me and the bike to the entrance. His attitude was another symptom of bicycle derangement syndrome.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back