Who's next?

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How about the card runs with a superliner consist of Coach Baggage-Coach-Coach-Lounge-Diner-Sleeper-Transition-Viewliner from NYP, Baggage from NYP

The NYP section would be thrown on the back of a regional(let the coach passengers switch trains... )

MrFSS said:
I left Air Force tech school and went to my first duty station
You’re young! I went to AF Tech School in 1960. But now that you mention it I did ride a train from San Antonio to Denver after Basic Training. I had a berth, I remember, but not much else about that ride. Anyone hazard a guess which RR I might have ridden in '60? Maybe it will bring back a memory if I knew.

Not sure (at work, from memory) ----I could hazard at least two guesses. Maybe the Missouri Kansas Texas(generally called Katy) or perhaps a less known part of the Chcago Burlington & Quincy ("Burlington") track. I will look it up at home tonight and let you know tomorrow, if somebody else does not beat me to it.

NOTE: I see that bmlock suggested Forth Worth and Denver's Texas Zeppyr---that is quite possible --Iwill chedk that as well tonight. Who knows there may have been more than one route.

NOTE. Come to think of it, Ft Worth and Devenr may have been a subsidiary of CB&Q, already noted, so maybe we are on the same "track" so to speak.

It sounds like he could have taken the MOP from San Antonio to Ft Worth and the Ft. Worth and Denver (Burlington route) to Denver. They probably had a sleeper that was switched for Denver at that time. That seems to be the only route that makes sense.

I think the Fort Worth and Denver was merged into Colorado Southern then CB&Q and so on. It's former route passes 30 south of me. Too bad Amtrak doesn't have a Texas Zephyr to run from Fort Worth (Houston too while were at it) to Denver. There are plans by some, but it would be called the Caprock Express and go through Lubbock, Amarillo, La Junta, Pueblo, and Colorado Springs. There's a decent ridership potential there just waiting to be tapped.

It sounds like he could have taken the MOP from San Antonio to Ft Worth and the Ft. Worth and Denver (Burlington route) to Denver. They probably had a sleeper that was switched for Denver at that time. That seems to be the only route that makes sense.
I wish I remembered more, but I had just finished basic training at Lackland and was off to Lowry. But the best I can remember, we did not change cars. I had a berth all the way through to Denver.

Thanks for all the input.

Mrfss, Here is kind of what I found. First, there were no through trains from SA to Denver. However, it may still be that you did not change cars--maybe you were on a troop movement and they moved your cars for you from one train to another, a through car arrangement for the military.

That could have been either a whole train or just one or two cars.

Anyway, here are some possibilties: Missouri Pacific SA to StLouis, change to MoPAc StL to Denver.

MKT("Katy") SA to St. Louis; MoPac StL to Denver.

Katy, SA to Kansas City, change from KC to Denver by Union Pacific.

Texas Zephyr went from Denver but to Dallas Forth Worth and Houston, not SA, though maybe you caught it some other city.

As to MoPac(and T&P, Texas and Pacific) going from SA to Forth Worth, it didn't really. It served each city, true, but did not seem to go between the two that I could find.

Mrfss, Here is kind of what I found. First, there were no through trains from SA to Denver. However, it may still be that you did not change cars--maybe you were on a troop movement and they moved your cars for you from one train to another, a through car arrangement for the military.
That could have been either a whole train or just one or two cars.

Anyway, here are some possibilties: Missouri Pacific SA to StLouis, change to MoPAc StL to Denver.

MKT("Katy") SA to St. Louis; MoPac StL to Denver.

Katy, SA to Kansas City, change from KC to Denver by Union Pacific.

Texas Zephyr went from Denver but to Dallas Forth Worth and Houston, not SA, though maybe you caught it some other city.

As to MoPac(and T&P, Texas and Pacific) going from SA to Forth Worth, it didn't really. It served each city, true, but did not seem to go between the two that I could find.
Thanks, Bill - best I can remember we went trough Dallas/Ft Worth and then to Denver.

I do remember we got on in the afternoon and got off the next evening in Denver. It was late, dark, and I couldn't see much of the town when we got there.

So, one of those connections through Ft Worth must have been it.

Also, as you point out, there were 100's of us, so it may have been a "Troop Train" but I can't believe they would have sleepers for a bunch of basic trainee's. But, who knows.

Thanks again for the responses.

Tom

That would not be bad if it either had a better connection time wise with the CL or was made a through train to Chicago, but then why not call it the Broadway Limited? That is great RR country, your fortunate to be in that area.

Back