Whoops!

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I looked for a site about AMTRAK, yes, but I did not realize y'all were so Amtrak- specific (although I should have realized it from the title) and my questions about trains have gone unanswered, so I guess I need to excuse myself, and say "Entschuldigung" and look elsewhere for my love of trains.

Sorry to have bothered y'all, but thanks to those of you who have answered!

Fröhliche Weihnachten!

Q

Quasimodem,

Don't run away just yet. Not every member visits every day, so sometimes it can take a week or so for people to find your questions and respond.

You are correct however, that over here we are rather Amtrak centered. So if you are looking for a forum that not only covers Amtrak, but also has sections for commuter, subway/trolley/light rail, and even trains outside the US, try On Track On Line.

You'll find me over there too.

I am still here!

Can't think of a better site to talk about US train travel than this one. I am just a train- FAN and I love hearing them come through my town at all hours of the day or night.

I just did not want to "step on any toes" if I talk about DB or other train experiences I have had.

Still hoping for an answer to my question about a cross-country trip on Amtrak lasting a week or more, hopefully starting out of Atlanta or nearby?

Thanks!

Q

I would probably recommend:

A nice long start would look like...

1. ATL-WAS on the Crescent (6 hours overlay in WAS) then...

2. WAS-CHI on the Capital Limited (6 hours overlay in CHI) then...

3. CHI-LAX on the Southwest Chief (Overnight in LAX to avoid a possible missed connection)

4. LAX-SEA on the Coast Starlight (overnight in SEA)

5. SEA-CHI on the Empire Builder (2 hour overlay or Overnight in CHI)

6. CHI-CVS (Charlottesville, VA) on the Cardinal connecting to...WAS-ATL on the Crescent

See if this fits your budget and liking!

Happy travels... :D

dmwnc1959 said:
6. CHI-CVS (Charlottesville, VA) on the Cardinal connecting to...WAS-ATL on the Crescent
See if this fits your budget and liking!

Happy travels... :D
Supposed to read:

6. CHI-CVS (Charlottesville, VA) on the Cardinal connecting to...CVS-ATL on the Crescent

Sorry...

Wow! Thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you, thank you and thank you.

I think the only thing that would beat that is a ride on THE POLAR EXPRESS

Thanks again!

Q

The trip suggested by DMWNC1959 is a very good trip. However, I enjoyed the following (simular) trip much better mostly for the view crossing the Rockies west of Denver and only one night spent off the train. OK here goes:

ATL to NOL on The Crescent

Overnight in New Orleans (no way around it)

NOL to CHI on The City of New Orleans

CHI to EMY on The California Zypher (Plenty of time to take the Amtrak bus across the bridge to Fishermans Wharf for dinner while waiting for The Coast Starlight)

EMY to PDX on The Coast Starlight

PDX to CHI on The Empire Builder

CHI to WAS on The Capitol Limited

WAS back to ATL on The Crescent

I have made all of Amtrak's long distance trips and I believe this is my favorite.

A word of warning; "DON'T GO ON COACH." Also, don't forget your laptop and GPS.

Wherever you go HAVE A BALL.

RBK

My favorite routes are the Coast Starlight (full run from LAX-SEA, even starting in San Diego on the Pacific Surfliner at 6am then connecting...) and the wondreful California Zephyr, the latter being widely agreed upon as the most scenic Amtrak Route in America. West of Denver, the climb into the Rockies and then passing through the canyons and many, many tunnels along the Colorado River, then the tranversing of the deserts of Utah and Nevada, and finally up into the magnificent Sierra Nevada's is unsurpassed.

Here's another option for you:

1. ATL-WAS on the Crescent (5.5 hours overlay in WAS) then...

2. WAS-CHI on the Capital Limited (5.5hours overlay in CHI) then...

3. CHI-EMY-(SFS) on the California Zephyr (possible overnight and full day of sightseeing in SFO at Fishermans Wharf (SFW) or downtown at Union Square before catching the night run of the...

4. Coast Starlight (SFS)-EMY-SEA (with possible very late arrival in SEA, overnight or two in SEA)

5. SEA-CHI on the Empire Builder (4 hour overlay or Overnight in CHI)

6. CHI-CVS (Charlottesville, VA) on the Cardinal connecting to...CVS-ATL on the Crescent.

On the SEA-CHI run of the Empire Builder I would normally suggest in Spring and Summer leaving out of Portland, Or but in the Winter it is dark by time you hit the Columbia River Gorge and you miss all the good scenery.

Thanks once again to everyone who responded!

"Railfanning" opportunities sounds like fun. Can you provide me with a link, please, Amtrakfan?

Thanks

Q

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back