Who owns the platform? Amtrak? Wasp/bee issues

Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum

Help Support Amtrak Unlimited Discussion Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I took a round trip from TRE to WNL (Windsor Locks, CT) this weekend visiting friends. WNL is really just an unstaffed one car length platform and one of those plastic bus shelters you can wait under in bad weather which is fine except wasps have made a nice home in the little shelter! My friends and I went to stand up on the platform to wait and once the wasps realized we were there...about 10 of them came out to investigate us. We quickly vacated the platform and stood in the lot until the train stopped and I went up and got on. A man got off the southbound Vermonter that I was getting on and stood right under their home and I warned him to get out of the way. Sure enough as I was climbing up onto the train, 10 wasps came out to investigate the commotion of people getting off and on. We felt unsafe waiting and I can't imagine this is safe for passengers, esp those who are allergic. Is this something I can write to Customer Service about? There was no notice on the signs there of who maintains the platform at Windsor Locks. I'm headed back up in August and really not looking forward to dealing with wasps all over the platform again.

Station ownership varies; they can be owned by the host railraod, the local governments, Amtrak, or a local private company (usually commuter companies, I know of one station owned by a museum). If you let Amtrak or the local government know about the issue they can contact the station owners and get a pest control officer arranged.

If your on board letting the Conductor know would probably work as he can send the message up the chain of command.

peter

Last edited by a moderator:
I took a round trip from TRE to WNL (Windsor Locks, CT) this weekend visiting friends. WNL is really just an unstaffed one car length platform and one of those plastic bus shelters you can wait under in bad weather which is fine except wasps have made a nice home in the little shelter! My friends and I went to stand up on the platform to wait and once the wasps realized we were there...about 10 of them came out to investigate us. We quickly vacated the platform and stood in the lot until the train stopped and I went up and got on. A man got off the southbound Vermonter that I was getting on and stood right under their home and I warned him to get out of the way. Sure enough as I was climbing up onto the train, 10 wasps came out to investigate the commotion of people getting off and on. We felt unsafe waiting and I can't imagine this is safe for passengers, esp those who are allergic. Is this something I can write to Customer Service about? There was no notice on the signs there of who maintains the platform at Windsor Locks. I'm headed back up in August and really not looking forward to dealing with wasps all over the platform again.
I'm sure the Amtrak 24-hour public safety communications hotline (1-800-331-0008) would be a good place to start.

Thanks everyone. I did let on board services know...whoever boarded us, but he didn't seem to really care so I figured it was worth finding out who I can email or call. I'll try that number.

I did let on board services know...whoever boarded us, but he didn't seem to really care...
Then I'd consider including that information in your next call or letter. Although without a name it may be hard for them to determine who exactly you were talking to.

I did let on board services know...whoever boarded us, but he didn't seem to really care...
Then I'd consider including that information in your next call or letter. Although without a name it may be hard for them to determine who exactly you were talking to.

I made sure to include that bit of information. I had to add in the train number and day so they can at least track it to who was on duty that day. They certainly would care if they started flying into the vestibule! lol

I'll let you all know if I hear back. Haven't had a chance to call yet, but I did email in today.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back